Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Looks like Chris has sold the Spyder and is walking home

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Rear tire info I have got on here so far:

Yokohama the 205/55-15 are the same high but smaller width by .8"
    General the 215/60-15 are over an inch taller and just a little smaller width
    Also a Michlen Premier A/S in 205/60 -15

Front tire info I have got on here so far:

Yokohama
    the 175/55-15 are .5 inch higher and width is wider by .4 inch

Looks like the front will work but should I go with a smaller back tire?

Thanks,
    To everyone for the help

Chris & Sandy
    Last edited by ChrisW; 07-15-2018 at 12:15 PM.

The Wife's 2014 RTS SE6
    New tires: Back, KUMHO ECSTA 225/50 R15 (24psi) @ 9,380 miles, Fronts, KUMHO SOLUS KH16 175/55 R15 (20 psi) @ 9,421 miles

Spyder Garage

I can't get the front and back at one store in stock or delivered in a week or so, not fun at all.

The Wife's 2014 RTS SE6
    New tires: Back, KUMHO ECSTA 225/50 R15 (24psi) @ 9,380 miles, Fronts, KUMHO SOLUS KH16 175/55 R15 (20 psi) @ 9,421 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I'll get flamed for this but here goes;

Scalloping is normal with Kenda fronts. It doesn't affect safety or handling or balance. I've got two RTs with 15k and 17k, original Kendas in the front with plenty of wear left and I don't feel compelled to spend the money to replace them.

Severe cupping is something else. That's an indication of out of balance, but you would have noticed that as a vibration in the front end.

The Kenda rear tires have a very short life. Most of us here get 9-12k miles at best on them. However, they are a very good tire and you can't go wrong having the dealer replace them with Kendas.

I have General Altimax on the rear of both my RT's. I do my own work except for the mounting of the tires on the rims and balancing them. And, I don't want to have to do that job more than I have to, so I opted for the General Altimax. Others like Kumhos, some like Yokohama, etc. There are trade-offs involved and unless you are an extreme rider and understand and can benefit from the performance characteristics of the more exotic tires, then as I say you might stay with a proven, common tire like the General or the Kumhos.

If you go with car tires, understand you may not be able to convince your dealer to mount them on your bike. That's a whole other topic, and there are plenty of threads here on the forum talking about just that.
    You run a
    General Altimax on the rear, what size? and what do you run on the front? please

The Wife's 2014 RTS SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    You run a General Altimax on the rear, what size? and what do you run on the front? please
    Per post #11; Google General Altimax RT43, 215/60R15 Lots of places to buy including Walmart

On BOTH bikes with 15k and 17k miles respectively, I have the original Kendas. Yours are probably just fine, unless you are getting vibration from them, or see visible signs of severe cupping.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Per post #11; Google General Altimax RT43, 215/60R15 Lots of places to buy including Walmart

On BOTH bikes with 15k and 17k miles respectively, I have the original Kendas. Yours are probably just fine, unless you are getting vibration from them, or see visible signs of severe cupping.
    Long lead time to get the rear tire

The front tires have a little vibration and a little cupping inside and outside.

The Wife's 2014 RTS SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Long lead time to get the rear tire.
    I don't know how hard you are trying, but TireRack has them in stock with 2-day delivery; https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...180715183527:s

Amazon has them with 3 day delivery https://www.amazon.com/General-AltiM.../dp/B00E5B2JX6

I'm sure there are others (Tires Direct, Discount Tire, etc)
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default What do you all think

I was hoping to go in and see the tire before I buy it, but that looks like it will not happen.

So far I have the following to think about,

Rear tire:

General AltiMAX RT43 215/60R15

or

Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50R15

The Wife's 2014 RTS SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was hoping to go in and see the tire before I buy it, but that looks like it will not happen. So far I have the following to think about,

Rear tire: General AltiMAX RT43 215/60R15 or Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50R15
    Chris, we have already given our opinion. Either one will do the job; get whichever one works in terms of availability, since that seems to be the primary consideration.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Rear tire info I have got on here so far:

Yokohama the 205/55-15 are the same high but smaller width by .8"
    General the 215/60-15 are over an inch taller and just a little smaller width
    Also a Michlen Premier A/S in 205/60 -15

Front tire info I have got on here so far:

Yokohama
    the 175/55-15 are .5 inch higher and width is wider by .4 inch

Looks like the front will work but should I go with a smaller back tire?

Thanks,
    To everyone for the help

Chris & Sandy

The Yoko rear is same height and less than 0.125 narrower, not 0.8. IE its very nearly the same width.

The yoko front are less than 1/4 inch taller overall and fit all three fender styles without modification.

The yokos also have far better traction than the OEM Kenda or the general or kuhmo passenger car tires.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 07-15-2018 at 02:11 PM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Yoko vs. Kumho vs Altimax RT43

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    The Yoko rear is same height and less than 0.125 narrower, not 0.8. IE its very nearly the same width.

The yoko front are less than 1/4 inch taller overall and fit all three fender styles without modification.

The yokos also have far better traction than the OEM Kenda or the general or kuhmo passenger car tires.
    The Generals are much better in wet , slightly better in dry ........ and the Kumho is slightly better ..... The Yoko "S" drive is last in this three-way ...... " and the Truth shall set you free " ..... I don't know who said that first, but it applies .......

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Deanna777;1376860]
    That size will not work:
    If your speedometer reads 65 mph, you are going about 68.5 mph
    [/QUOTE Chris,

I have a 2014 RTS-SE6 Cognac, and I'm running the General Altimax RT43 Size: 215/60 R15. These were installed on 6/20/2015 and I have 18,238 miles on the tire. I have not had any issues. This size above works.

The spyder has 23,486 miles on it.

Go to "MY Albums" look for General RT Tire".

Deanna

What are you running for the front tires?

The Wife's 2014 RTS SE6

Spyder Garage

Default My Setup

When picking out tires for my F3s I looked for long life not necessarily race track worthy traction, getting the speedo to be accurate, & low price. I selected these 80,000 mile tires for the fronts

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

and this 75,000 mile tire for the rear.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

I am running 18psi front and rear.

Ps. I don't know if this is a concern with others but... in my area were have crapy grooved pavement that causes some tires to catch the groves and your car, truck, trike wobbles. I was hoping that these tires would be ok with the grooves as they are more of a rib design than the Kendas. these tires work great with the grooves, I don't feel any wobble and they run smooth as silk!
    Last edited by bboley; 07-15-2018 at 06:29 PM.

My Spyder History
    2013 ST Limited - 16,000 miles
    2015 F3s - 48,500 miles
    2016 F3t - TBD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bboley View Post
    When picking out tires for my F3s I looked for long life not necessarily race track worthy traction, getting the speedo to be accurate, & low price. I selected these 80,000 mile tires for the fronts https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes and this 75,000 mile tire for the rear. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

I am running 18psi front and rear.
    Continental is a good brand. I don't know much about their other performance characteristics (wet and dry traction in particular), do you?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Continental is a good brand. I don't know much about their other performance characteristics (wet and dry traction in particular), do you?
    I just put them on (300 miles on the fronts and 100 on the rear) so my experience is with them not being broken in yet. I read all kinds of post here on SL before making the switch and the Continentals get good reviews here. I did not see anybody post about the Kumho that I got but other lower mileage Kumhos have gotten good reviews so I went for it. That being said the ride and handling are already way better than the Kendas. I hit some puddled roads Saturday with the Continentals on the front and the worn out Kenda on the back, the continentals did great but the rear was all over the place of course. My wife and I are heading out on a 1,500 mile trip to The Lake of The Ozarks next week so I should have a real good handle on how the will preform wet and dry when I get back.
    Last edited by bboley; 07-15-2018 at 06:51 PM.

My Spyder History
    2013 ST Limited - 16,000 miles
    2015 F3s - 48,500 miles
    2016 F3t - TBD

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=ChrisW;1377251]
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post

What are you running for the front tires?
    I am running the Continental Contiprocontact's on the fronts. Size: 165/60 R15. At 19 PSI.

The Continental's were installed on 6/24/16 @ 12,807 miles. I have not had any problems, with the tires, the spyder handles great. I also have a 2014RTS-SE6 like you.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Chris,

You have some bad info there. When I ran that tire my speedometer at 65 was 64 on the GPS.
    First one lasted 24,000 miles (replaced due to wear in the center from too high of air pressure of 24#).
    Second one wearing better at 18#
    Les
    Les,
    Do you ride 1-up, or 2-up???? I was just told @ The PA Spdyer Rally by a tire dealer vendor that 18 PSI in a rear car tire is too low for 2-up riding.
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Default rear tire

Thanks to Les I took his advice and got the Michelin AS 205/60R15 and have not been disappointed feel confident in all driving conditions alone and two up still have the original Kendas up front love riding my Spyder.
    Last edited by rustynail51; 07-16-2018 at 03:40 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Les,
    Do you ride 1-up, or 2-up???? I was just told @ The PA Spdyer Rally by a tire dealer vendor that 18 PSI in a rear car tire is too low for 2-up riding.
    Mike
    Did he actually say “why” he considered it too low, Mike? I only ask as I am 330lbs, which is effectively two up, and have not had any issues with my Kuhmo rear running at 18 psi on my F3-L. I would be very interested in knowing what he believed 18psi would affect.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Did he actually say “why” he considered it too low, Mike? I only ask as I am 330lbs, which is effectively two up, and have not had any issues with my Kuhmo rear running at 18 psi on my F3-L. I would be very interested in knowing what he believed 18psi would affect. Pete
    Trust the tire experts on here; they are NOT Spyder vendors, and have no reason to mislead. BlueKnight911 and PeterAawen are two that come to mind. Good luck.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-20-2018 at 10:29 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post

Thanks for switching my tires out to the Yokohamas. LOVE riding with them. The truth that sets me free is that any car tire will be better than those Krappy Kendas.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE

we just got from Amazon a KUMHO Ecsta AST in a 225/50 R15 (date: 3817) and will try to get it installed this Saturday. It looks BIGGER than the one on the bike now, do you think it will fit?

The Wife's 2014 RTS SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

we just got from Amazon a KUMHO Ecsta AST in a 225/50 R15 (date: 3817) and will try to get it installed this Saturday. It looks BIGGER than the one on the bike now, do you think it will fit?
    It is bigger, but it looks even larger before it is installed on the wheel. It will be fine.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

It is bigger, but it looks even larger before it is installed on the wheel. It will be fine.
    Same size at the one on there now, but boy does it look bigger we have an app this Sat at 10 to try to get it installed.

The Wife's 2014 RTS SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Les,
    Mike
    Hi Mike,

Until I purchased my F3 this spring we only had the RT so for 75,000 miles 96% of the time was two up and 30% of that time pulling a loaded trailer. No issues at 18#!!!

Maybe that vendor did not trust the tires he was selling

Les
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue