Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Need to get new tires

My wife has a 2013 RT w/8000 miles and the back is at the bars.Fronts are cupping. We did get the Laser alignment. Need tires Front (165/55R15) and Back (225/50 R15), Car tire Size and make? HELP please

The Wife's 2014 RTS SE6
    New tires: Back, KUMHO ECSTA 225/50 R15 (24psi) @ 9,380 miles, Fronts, KUMHO SOLUS KH16 175/55 R15 (20 psi) @ 9,421 miles

Spyder Garage

Default Excellent car tires Yokohama rear Spyder tire, front tires

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post

My wife has a 2013 RT w/8000 miles and the back is at the bars.Fronts are cupping. We did get the Laser alignment. Need tires Front (165/55R15) and Back (225/50 R15), Car tire Size and make? HELP please
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/yok-01051/overview/
    Rear 205-55-15 tire

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/yok-93314/overview/
    175-55-15 front Spyder tires

Free shipping from Summit Racing!
    Jim
    Last edited by spyderyderjim; 07-21-2018 at 08:44 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll get flamed for this but here goes;

Scalloping is normal with Kenda fronts. It doesn't affect safety or handling or balance. I've got two RTs with 15k and 17k, original Kendas in the front with plenty of wear left and I don't feel compelled to spend the money to replace them.

Severe cupping is something else. That's an indication of out of balance, but you would have noticed that as a vibration in the front end.

The Kenda rear tires have a very short life. Most of us here get 9-12k miles at best on them. However, they are a very good tire and you can't go wrong having the dealer replace them with Kendas.

I have General Altimax on the rear of both my RT's. I do my own work except for the mounting of the tires on the rims and balancing them. And, I don't want to have to do that job more than I have to, so I opted for the General Altimax. Others like Kumhos, some like Yokohama, etc. There are trade-offs involved and unless you are an extreme rider and understand and can benefit from the performance characteristics of the more exotic tires, then as I say you might stay with a proven, common tire like the General or the Kumhos.

If you go with car tires, understand you may not be able to convince your dealer to mount them on your bike. That's a whole other topic, and there are plenty of threads here on the forum talking about just that.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/yok-01051/overview/
    Rear 205-55-15 tire

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/yok-93314/overview/
    175-55-15 front Spyder tires

Free shipping from Summit Racing!
    Jim
    For the computer to work right I think I would need the same overall size replacement right?

The Wife's 2014 RTS SE6
    New tires: Back, KUMHO ECSTA 225/50 R15 (24psi) @ 9,380 miles, Fronts, KUMHO SOLUS KH16 175/55 R15 (20 psi) @ 9,421 miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You might want to confirm which you have. The 2013 and 2014 I believe have different wheel sizes.

The cognac your wife is on would be a 2014.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

OOPS, the OP's text said '13, but the sig says '14
    Disregard
    No, The tires just have to match across the front and fit under the fenders.
    I put Federal Federal Formoza AZ01 - 165/55R15 on the front of my '13 (vastly improved the ride)
    Rear is a BFGoodrich Advantage T/A 215/60R15 (Has over 15,000 miles now and looks almost new)
    Last edited by DGoebel; 07-13-2018 at 08:07 PM.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    OOPS, the OP's text said '13, but the sig says '14
    Disregard
    No, The tires just have to match across the front and fit under the fenders.
    I put Federal Federal Formoza AZ01 - 165/55R15 on the front of my '13 (vastly improved the ride)
    Rear is a BFGoodrich Advantage T/A 215/60R15 (Has over 15,000 miles now and looks almost new)
    Sorry, it's a 2014

The Wife's 2014 RTS SE6

Spyder Garage

Sorry, it's a 2014
    OK, HELP. We went to the Nor Cal Rally last year and spent two days looking at everything to include tires! Now that we need to go get them we/she can't find the paper that had all of the info we had got.
    Crap, We are here in the Reno area and have a place to install them, we just need to get them....

The Wife's 2014 RTS SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OK, HELP. We went to the Nor Cal Rally last year and spent two days looking at everything to include tires! Now that we need to go get them we/she can't find the paper that had all of the info we had got. Crap, We are here in the Reno area and have a place to install them, we just need to get them....
    You're not in Fernley? Are you asking where to get them right away in Reno?
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-13-2018 at 08:27 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    You're not in Fernley? Are you asking where to get them right away in Reno?
    We are in Fernley and will have them put on in the Reno area. We just need the make, model, in our size info from you all so we can get them delivered to us soon, as the wife is at the ware bars on the back tire. Thanks, Chris

The Wife's 2014 RTS SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Google General Altimax RT43, 215/60R15

Lots of places to buy including Walmart
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Google General Altimax RT43, 215/60R15

Lots of places to buy including Walmart
    That size will not work:
    If your speedometer reads 65 mph, you are going about 68.5 mph

The Wife's 2014 RTS SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That size will not work:
    If your speedometer reads 65
    mph, you are going about
    mph
    Good luck then.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Scalloping is normal with Kenda fronts. It doesn't affect safety or handling or balance. I've got two RTs with 15k and 17k, original Kendas in the front with plenty of wear left and I don't feel compelled to spend the money to replace them.

Severe cupping is something else. That's an indication of out of balance, but you would have noticed that as a vibration in the front end.

The Kenda rear tires have a very short life. Most of us here get 9-12k miles at best on them. However, they are a very good tire and you can't go wrong having the dealer replace them with Kendas.

I have General Altimax on the rear of both my RT's. I do my own work except for the mounting of the tires on the rims and balancing them. And, I don't want to have to do that job more than I have to, so I opted for the General Altimax. Others like Kumhos, some like Yokohama, etc. There are trade-offs involved and unless you are an extreme rider and understand and can benefit from the performance characteristics of the more exotic tires, then as I say you might stay with a proven, common tire like the General or the Kumhos.

If you go with car tires, understand you may not be able to convince your dealer to mount them on your bike. That's a whole other topic, and there are plenty of threads here on the forum talking about just that.
    You won't get flamed but I will; The best advice for the OP is to "Search" and read a few of the dozens of threads on tires that already answer hundreds of basic questions like his. It's the best way to learn most anything on this forum.
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Docster View Post
    You won't get flamed but I will; The best advice for the OP is to "Search" and read a few of the dozens of threads on tires that already answer hundreds of basic questions like his. It's the best way to learn most anything on this forum.
    It would be nice if he could express some gratitude too.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Question ??????????????

That size will not work:
    Well Chris,

I just went and checked my 2014 RTS------ It has a General Altimax 43 ---215/ 60R 15 with 12,000 miles on it and still looks like it has another 12,000 to go. It was installed at Michael's power sports in Reno ( no questions asked ) Balanced perfectly with NO added weights.

Who told your that this tire wouldn't fit???????? Many people here have it on their 's. Oh yah------ this tire also corrects the speedometer to with in 2 MPH. What's not to like????

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

For the computer to work right I think I would need the same overall size replacement right?
    https://tiresize.com/comparison/
    The 175-55-15 Yokohama S34FA front tires fit same as stock, just a little wider for better grip, smoother ride, but no problem with computer, etc.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/
    The 205-55-15 rear Yokohama S Drive tire is exact same diameter as stock rear tire.
    It is a smoother riding tire with excellent grip dry road or rain.
    I have run the excellent traction rear tires since 2014 on RT's, now F3S Spyder!

Like I mentioned earlier. Summit Racing carries both
    front & rear Yokohama tires with free shipping.
    Your choice of course.
    Jim

Spyder Garage

That size will not work:
    Chris,

You have some bad info there. When I ran that tire my speedometer at 65 was 64 on the GPS.

Since then I have been using the Michlen Premier A/S in 205/60 -15. This has been the best wet weather as well as dry road tire I have tried on our 14 RT. Purchased at Costco. First one lasted 24,000 miles (replaced due to wear in the center from too high of air pressure of 24#).
    Second one wearing better at 18#

Les
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That size will not work:
    This is incorrect. The spyder speedo reads 2 to 3 mph fast. Putting on the 215/60/15 tire will cause the speedo to read almost right on with a gps unit. I have run this size on two different Spyders with excellent results.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As far as front tires the Federal Evo or Formozas on the stock size work well.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Tires

That size will not work:
    huh!!!!!

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=ChrisW;1376771]That size will not work:
    [/QUOTE Chris,

I have a 2014 RTS-SE6 Cognac, and I'm running the General Altimax RT43 Size: 215/60 R15. These were installed on 6/20/2015 and I have 18,238 miles on the tire. I have not had any issues. This size above works.

The spyder has 23,486 miles on it.

Go to "MY Albums" look for General RT Tire".

Deanna

Last edited by Deanna777; 07-14-2018 at 02:28 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

We stock and install quality Yokohama tires front and rear on Spyders. Avoid the chinese junk. Your life is riding on these rubber donuts.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Kenda tires will cup when they are ready for the landfill. They will cause handling problems, unless you don’t think of shaking as a handling issue. Kenda tires suck and the only reason they come stock on a Spyder is because they were the only manufacturer to bid on the contract.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Kenda tires will cup when they are ready for the landfill. They will cause handling problems, unless you don’t think of shaking as a handling issue. Kenda tires suck and the only reason they come stock on a Spyder is because they were the only manufacturer to bid on the contract.
    Haven't had any problems with either of my bikes, and I've pushed the Platinum pretty hard...as in over 105 mph and chasing a BMW through the twisties.

They are slightly scalloped (feathered), not cupped, which is the distinction I made in my post. This is the condition I'm talking about, on the Cognac that Joe laser-aligned this Spring in Hurricane.

Cognac RF tire.jpg
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-14-2018 at 06:01 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum