Spyder Garage

Default Darkened gauge cluster

Today I was out riding without any problems. Made a quick stop. Temp was about 95, nothing unusual.
    When I came back and started the bike, I noticed that the central digital display was only visible on about the center one inch band. The tops and bottom portions were dark but the division line between the areas was not sharp but faded together. Temp registered 102 on the display.
    I rode home and also stopped at the stealership to get their “professional” opinion. By that time, the dark areas has lightened up mostly but were still visible. They thought that it may have been heat related but told me to monitor it and if it still appeared, bring it in.
    I am hoping it was only a fluke, so I will watch it over the weekend.

Anyone ever had a similar situation?
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's a normal occurence when the dcreen gets too hot...
    Once they cool off: things work out okay!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

If you park with the display in the hot sun. Pull out the safety card and it will shade it. That seems to stop it. The only useful thing about the safety card.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Me too!!’

I’m so glad you posted this because it happened to me also for the first time yesterday. I really freaked out because I couldn’t see anything on the screen and I couldn’t understand what was wrong. It is about 92° here and the heat index puts it well over 100. It did say 103° on the Spyder after I put it up and parked in shade a while, but it also seemed to hesitate or start sluggishly after that. My neighbor checked the battery cable connections and said both were loose and he tightened them. Just not sure if the excessive heat made everything go haywire or if I’ve got some type of problem brewing. My dealer is an hour from my house so I pray every time I get on the bike that things go smoothly so I don’t have to figure out a way to get it there. Hoping that the dealership in my town and 6 minutes from my house will be selling Can AM within the next year. I was told they were working on becoming an authorized dealer.

Spyder Garage

I was certainly hoping that it may have been a heat related issue that would eventually go away. Unfortunately, I started it up this morning after sitting in my garage overnite, and still had the darkened areas near the top and bottom of the center screen. This has never before been an issue in any other hot weather before. It was not as dark as yesterday, but still remained a problem whenever the sun or any reflections off the gauge cluster hit it. It reminds me of "screen burnout" on a PC. Reading the top and bottom of the display were very difficult. Here is a picture, so I hope that it indicates what I am seeing, only several times darker to almost black. Notice that the very top has a slightly darkened area and it is barely visible on the very bottom, but becomes darker when the brighter light hits it. Yesterday, it was so dark, I could not read it even very close up. Notice the area slightly above the dead center is brighter - this is the way the display always looked before yesterday.

IMG_3752.jpg
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

Oh no! I have no idea why it would do that. I hope someone on the forum can offer some suggestions. It does look like burnout like LCD screens can do but surely it’s supposed to hold up to heat and sun better than that. I’ll be hoping for some answers for you. Meanwhile I have not started mine since yesterday and now after seeing what your screen looks like I’m a bit scared😳😕.

Spyder Garage

Default Gauge dark

Yup. Hot sun. No problem. Goes away when I ride.

John

Test message.

2016 Spyder RT

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Cluster Display

To be honest with you Arnie, the picture that you posted looks pretty normal. There are shaded areas designed into that background graphic that they tried to make look like a watermark effect / 3-D effect. It's kinda shown in your manual, but here is what mine looks like since it came out of the crate. Check your settings also, to see if you have the same thing we have. Under SET, you can adjust the contrast. I can't recall any reports on here where the display didn't return to normal.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 07-15-2018 at 09:41 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

They got you covered. It will come back when it gets cooled down. Some people pull out the "safety card" and use it as a sunshade. Depending on your particular situation--that may be one answer.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red