Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Won't start

Spyder Garage

Default Won't start

let me explain what got to this point,

Before I have bike towed to dealership, 2010RTS SE5
    battery replaced less than 2 years old OEM

Bike has been running fine all year. Only put 500 miles local errands around town.

Moved bike to different part of garage and did not have on battery tender for say 3 weeks.

Went to start and lights on dash come on press mode button then start and here one loud click and then nothing.

Put battery tender on over night, voltage meter says 12.7 volts, go to start get limp mode, check transmission.

Then same thing, dash goes dead then flickering of lights maybe because I still had tender connected

then check my spyder codes app and says my 2 codes were C0020 and P0504 The C0020 is a fuse maybe out?

I am not tech savvy, did watch finless bobs video on battery removal. Would never attempt, above my pay grade

Also believe fuse box is in front trunk behind lining.

Thinking maybe just connection.

If just a fuse, and am told which type, maybe I could replace.

Did a search and apparently there maybe other fuses there I could swap around

What could a novice do........or is there someone in the Los Angeles area that would come to my garage in Santa Monica

(will pay handsomely) to fix.

Seriously

Open to all suggestions,

Once I get her running was going to have an oil change done.

Have to leave in cage now, will be back later today.

Ok trying to be the mechanic and fix, but have more questions in post #10
    Ticketbait

Final result
    finless Bob installed new battery for me and she is up and running in post #28
    Last edited by TicketBait; 08-04-2018 at 02:40 PM. Reason: final result

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wish I lived closer. Good luck.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default dead battery

Very first thing is check battery connections, take off and clean. Also check ground connection to frame by the battery. The best check is to have voltmeter on battery and hit the starter to see if voltage falls below 10.5 volts. Then would be battery problem. If it just clicks and does not fall off, you have a connection problem.
    2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderJerry View Post
    Very first thing is check battery connections, take off and clean. Also check ground connection to frame by the battery. The best check is to have voltmeter on battery and hit the starter to see if voltage falls below 10.5 volts. Then would be battery problem. If it just clicks and does not fall off, you have a connection problem.

Thanks Jerry, Trying to remove stuff to get to terminals to check connection, I won't attempt by myself. Don't have confidence in the mechanical stuff needed to dis assemble parts off bike to get to battery. yeah, don't think battery is bad, probably connections. Do fuses have anything to do with it not starting?

Spyder Garage

Default Battery

Your battery on a 2010 Rt should be just under the seat towards the rear. Just have panel on left rear by passenger handle.
    Doubt if fuses are problem. But won't rule out.
    2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Default watch youtube

Youtube has video of your battery access that will guide you.
    2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Ticket. It needs to be put on a battery CHARGER overnight, not just a tender. Try that first before you start tearing stuff all apart. Just connect the charger to the positive and negative terminals under the seat. Any 2a/10a charger will do. Well, in a perfect world, use one with an AGM battery mode. But in a pinch, a standard one will do. Set to 2a setting until it turns itself off.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 07-13-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your help so far,

Ok, I will try later today to put a charger on the battery and check the connections after watching Lamonsters quick short to the point video on how to get to terminals .
    Thanks Jerry for the youtube suggestion there were probably 50 videos to choose from

crossing fingers, will report back if I get stuck.

Spyder Garage

Can only watch--but hoping you get it solved soon. Lots of good advice so far.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Ok, I opened up the battery cover shown in Lamonsters video,
    I see the negative connection but where is the positive connection and ground so I can clean that?

Is it under the red cap in the first picture?

Do I need to remove stuff to get a charger clamp on it?

xu6eMLkMS16P5PwHyBv1vg.jpgEa5cs6cETDukDebBRXREUg.jpg

Another dumb question, I have a battery. charger that works with different types of batteries. Is this a 6 volt or 12 volt, never mind I see it says YUASA 12V.

My jump start charger has various settings (see photo below. Which one do I use? 12v Standard or 12 V AGM , 12V Gel Cell ??

DA7bAEgSQWqLzmaIE637Cg.jpg
    I have jump started many a car, when jumping the bike do I just hook to positive and metal ground?

This is what it is currently doing
    Last edited by TicketBait; 07-13-2018 at 05:40 PM. Reason: added video

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

In order to get a clean shot at the positive terminal at the battery, you need to remove that left side panel. The terminal is inside a red rubber boot. Directions for removing that are in your manual. But basically, the oil check panel, left side mirror, left side upper panel all come off first. Remember that the silver torx screws you see between the upper and lower panels are not to be unscrewed. There are pins behind them that go into rubber grommets.

The red terminal you see under the seat in your picture is, in fact, a positive terminal connection, just not the one right at the battery. You would remove that rubber cover and clip your charger's positive lead to that and the charger's negative lead to the ground terminal on the right side there under the seat. You'll see a bolt head with some wires going to it bolting everything to the frame.

The battery is a 12v AGM. I wouldn't use the jump start feature right now. No need to hit the battery with that kind of current. You need a full charge not a jump start right now. Just set it to a 2 amp charge and let it do its thing overnight. All those instructions should be in the charger manual. It looks like a smart enough charger so that, once the battery is fully charged, the charger will go into a maintaining / desulfating mode - which is exactly what you need. Then see how it is in the morning.

The charging system on the V-Twin is pretty anemic. Even with a battery tender, 500 miles this year is hardly enough to keep the battery properly charged. Not saying you couldn't have something else going on, but let's bring the battery back to health first. It may even need replaced. I think those codes are irrelevant at this point.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 07-13-2018 at 06:43 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Default Battery

The red rubber is the cover for the positive terminal, you'll need to take it off (or move to the side) in order to get the jumper to the positive post. My dash did exactly the same thing last month, the battery in mine was bad. Good luck.
    Bob, k7xi. 2013 RTL

Spyder Garage

When you do remove the panel that exposes the battery you should also see the starter relay that is in front of the battery. There will be a heavy gage wire running from the positive (red) battery terminal to it. Make sure that is a tight connection. If louse you will get a click no mater how charged the battery is.

Good hunting and good luck!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default O-M-G BROTHER

man I am running on fumes here , actually working lots of over time , fixing cars , ---or taking cars too be fixed while I work all the time , man I will try too slow down and read your problems guy ( try this --- what would you tell folks to do with same problem in the chats mode ? ) basically I have too tone down the over active thinking when I work on my cycle I put too much thought into how much and what the hell is wrong when it is right in front of me ! -------------------- > do you suppose the new battery just ended its life term , you say under 2 years could it be a bit longer but just lost track of time lines ? it really sounds like battery might have shorted out in the inside plates department and one cell is gone ! just from a quick glance of information { if this is not it drive over too my house we can gather all the spyder guys around me and tear into that baby and get-er running !

Spyder Garage

Default o.k. ticket

lets try cleaning up those connections - I slowed down a bit looked at the photo`s , those connectors might be glazed , or corroded , not with the heavy clumps of crap just the post with a glaze , try cleaning up the post with a wire brush , clean the battery compartment it might conduct a short also , clean bayyybeee clean

Spyder Garage

Default Danger!

Hello Ticketbait. You know there is DANGER there? Don't touch anything metal to your positive terminal and the frame or other component at the same time! That would be a direct short which will spark and cause terrific heat. Please be careful.
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daz View Post
    Hello Ticketbait. You know there is DANGER there? Don't touch anything metal to your positive terminal and the frame or other component at the same time! That would be a direct short which will spark and cause terrific heat. Please be careful.
    Leaving on a planned trip, going to see" Pageant of the Masters" down in Laguna Beach, will be back Monday. Leaving battery on Tender but me thinks I will need to jump start. Before I do will probably revisit this thread and ask questions so I don't kill the bike or myself. May need help getting rest of panels off. Oh well live and learn, or learn and ride.......or pay someone so I can ride

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    Leaving on a planned trip, going to see" Pageant of the Masters" down in Laguna Beach, will be back Monday. Leaving battery on Tender but me thinks I will need to jump start. Before I do will probably revisit this thread and ask questions so I don't kill the bike or myself. May need help getting rest of panels off. Oh well live and learn, or learn and ride.......or pay someone so I can ride
    If you like since I am close to you. Order the Yashua battery and I will come to your place and replace it for you

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    If you like since I am close to you. Order the Yashua battery and I will come to your place and replace it for you

Bob
    Atta boy Bob! OP, Can't beat that!

I just did a brake fluid change for an unknown to me at the time, Ducati rider. He was new to the area and asked for help on a local Ducati forum which netted him a bunch of smartass replies! Even tho I no longer have my S4RS and even if I never had one to start with, I would still help out any rider asking for help....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I can't wait to get this thing running!! I hope TcketBait will come back with a happy end to this story!
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Default been a few days

hey guy , did every thing go o.k. ? battery wise ...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post

Bob

Any news with the battery Bob? Did he even get in touch with you? Bad things could happen if you accidentally short out a battery and it didn't seem like that guy was aware of that. I'm a bit concerned because we didn't hear more.

That was a very nice offer!
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I can't wait to get this thing running!! I hope TcketBait will come back with a happy end to this story!
    Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    hey guy , did every thing go o.k. ? battery wise ...
    Any news with the battery Bob? Did he even get in touch with you? Bad things could happen if you accidentally short out a battery and it didn't seem like that guy was aware of that. I'm a bit concerned because we didn't hear more.

That was a very nice offer!
    Ok sorry for the delay, let me give you an update.
    finless Bob is coming over to my house next Saturday the 4th to put in new battery.

When I read that I would need to remove the rest of the panels and mirror to jump start, I got scared.
    I only know how to remove the cover to check the oil.

I am signed up to go to the NorCal Spyder event in September.
    So if I don't get her running, then I will miss out on a lot of fun.
    I still need an oil change and will have time to do that at Berts Mega mall, and you can wait while they do the work

Need to have my RT622 wheel bearings repacked to be safe for the trip too. Dealership said it was a lot of work and quoted $275

So after procrastinating, and researching the battery, and procrastinating and calling the dealerships, procrastinating
    some more. I located the battery, and will be picking up tomorrow.

I reached out to Bob yesterday with his generous offer, he got back to me this morning and he is coming over next Saturday.
    He is coming from 40 miles away which can take over an hour to get here.

Thank you all for your help, support and encouragement. I will follow up in this thread with the final outcome.
    In hindsight this will be my 3rd battery in 8 ˝ years, the first one lasting 5 years, and this one 3 ˝ years, with much less mileage on her.(which probably shortened the life)
    So I suppose jump starting could have ended up stranding me farther away from home.

TB

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    Ok sorry for the delay, let me give you an update.
    finless Bob is coming over to my house next Saturday the 4th to put in new battery.

When I read that I would need to remove the rest of the panels and mirror to jump start, I got scared.
    I only know how to remove the cover to check the oil.

I am signed up to go to the NorCal Spyder event in September.
    So if I don't get her running, then I will miss out on a lot of fun.
    I still need an oil change and will have time to do that at Berts Mega mall, and you can wait while they do the work

Need to have my RT622 wheel bearings repacked to be safe for the trip too. Dealership said it was a lot of work and quoted $275

So after procrastinating, and researching the battery, and procrastinating and calling the dealerships, procrastinating
    some more. I located the battery, and will be picking up tomorrow.

I reached out to Bob yesterday with his generous offer, he got back to me this morning and he is coming over next Saturday.
    He is coming from 40 miles away which can take over an hour to get here.

Thank you all for your help, support and encouragement. I will follow up in this thread with the final outcome.
    In hindsight this will be my 3rd battery in 8 ˝ years, the first one lasting 5 years, and this one 3 ˝ years, with much less mileage on her.(which probably shortened the life)
    So I suppose jump starting could have ended up stranding me farther away from home.

TB
    Thanks for updating us.

No panel removal to jump start. Just lift the seat. The jumper posts are there. Now to change out the battery on the other hand. A bunch of panels come off.

Ask Bob to bring a voltmeter with him. After he has changed out the battery. Check the system voltage while running. Should be around 14V. Just to confirm the charging system is working properly.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Battery and ground

These things are bad on batteries, in my personal experience. My wife has had hers (2010 RTS SE5) for about 5 years and is on it's 3rd battery. We keep our bikes tendered if we don't ride for a week or more. The last battery I replaced wasn't quite 2 years old. She was having starting issues that stopped when I changed the battery.