Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ***WARNING LOOK-OUT FOR ROAD GATORS***

with all the talk about the critters coming out to play in the road beware there is a worse enemy to all bikers they are called the road gators and they will tear you up,these gators are "semi tread" now thats its gettng hot those retreaded tires will be falling off the wheels of those semi trailers and having 3 wheels on our bike will make it harder to manuver around them on short notice at high speeds during the summer months you should try to avoid riding next to a semi go by them as fast as you can or keep your distance from behind a lg gap as those nasty gators can come flying off at a moments notice. these babys will tear apart a car proably make a meal out of the spyder. so heads up this summer.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You only need to see ONE retread come apart at speed to realize that you don't want to be anywhere near one when it lets go...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reminder. I live right off I35 and they are everywhere!

thehawk
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for the reminder. These gators will bite you in the

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

It least in my neck of the woods you don't see that many on the highways anymore, Better recapping technology In years past they were all over the roads.
    But if you happen to run into just one it can ruin your day.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

A great post, and reminder for us all!
    All of us that ride on highways will experience these asphalt monsters.
    Best advise you gave is to back off from following trucks, and for that matter all vehicles on interstates. You need room to see ahead, to safely swerve and avoid these at all costs.
    While riding out west on 2 wheelers, a buddy with a UniGo trailer hit one. We stopped to check to make sure no damage to bike or trailer, and proceeded on, in the middle of Montana. About 60 miles later, his UniGo trailer tire blew. Turns out, a piece of the asphalt gator had lodged up inside the wheel well, and the steel belts wore through the trailer tire. Not much fun out in the middle of nowhere, trying to locate a replacement tire.
    It's gator season.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good advice. Thanks.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Funny you should mention this. I was riding to the west side of Michigan a few weeks ago and nearly got taken out by one. I was back just far enough to where it fell and hit the left tire/frunk and went under my spyder. Definitely scared the crap outta me!

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the timely warning. Drive safely all.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I definitely agree. Last summer the truck ahead of us lost a retread and it did a number on the front of my wife's SUV. Undrivable. Be careful

Spyder Garage

Default Timely Tip

Always on the look out for DEAD GATORS in the road but, it's the ones just being born that worry me the most, and causes me to pass semis with "extra caution".

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default One of the reasons

I try to avoid super slab whenever I can

Quote Originally Posted by thehawk View Post
    Thanks for the reminder. I live right off I35 and they are everywhere!

thehawk
    If you lost your virginity, do you still have the box it came in?

09 Phantom SM5 LE #108
    My Mods- Corbin Seat, Homemade exhaust, Kury ISO Grips, ISCI passenger floorboards, TRIC LEDS, Evoluzione o2 mod

Spyder Garage

I've been following this thread and feel I just have to comment, because of all the posts about "road gators" being retreads. I know that it is the common belief that the pieces of tires on highways are thought to be pieces of retreads. They look like they should be retreads because they are often big pieces of what looks like the tire tread, sometimes in a complete ring! The simple fact is, some of these are from truck tire retreads, but they just as likely are from truck tires that have never been retreaded at all! The reason I know this is because my husband was in the truck tire industry for years before changing careers. (To be clear, neither of us has anything to do with the truck tire industry today so we have nothing to gain from supporting retreads.)

In 2008 the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) actually did a study of the tire debris found along the highway. They were considering stricter regulation of truck tires and particularly retreads. What they found might surprise you. They found that the tire pieces were from NEW and retreaded tires, in proportion to their service on the highway! The pieces they found had little to do with the manufacturing or retreading process. The top types of damage they discovered were the result of road hazards (39%) and excessive heat (30%). (That excessive heat is usually due to underinflation.) Proper tire inflation, maintenance, and repair are the most important way to keep any kind of tire safe and ensure long life.

Fortunately for the environment, retreaded tires are used safely every day by school buses, fire trucks, and passenger aircraft. I say fortunately, because otherwise, an additional 14 million tires would be going into landfills every year!

Spyder Garage

Let me start by saying I feel society as a whole can be a little sue happy but I've always wondered liability wise if a fresh baby gator jumps out an takes a bike outta your ___ ?
    Infact I almost want to take myself out back to the ol woodshed but I had to ask. And no it has not happened to me I just was wondering how much is due to "neglect" I guess or is this just a how it is type of thing?
    Im just scared to think of one about oh head height at 80mph especially after seeing what a seagul looked like as Ian Hutchinson clipped one on the Isle of Man

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Luckyme View Post
    A great post, and reminder for us all!
    All of us that ride on highways will experience these asphalt monsters.
    Best advise you gave is to back off from following trucks, and for that matter all vehicles on interstates. You need room to see ahead, to safely swerve and avoid these at all costs.
    While riding out west on 2 wheelers, a buddy with a UniGo trailer hit one. We stopped to check to make sure no damage to bike or trailer, and proceeded on, in the middle of Montana. About 60 miles later, his UniGo trailer tire blew. Turns out, a piece of the asphalt gator had lodged up inside the wheel well, and the steel belts wore through the trailer tire. Not much fun out in the middle of nowhere, trying to locate a replacement tire.
    It's gator season.
    Yes. The other day, I was behind a pickup and his spare tire fell off. I wasnt on my but in my truck but I just missed it. The car behind me wasnt so lucky.

Spyder Garage

bump

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

bumping this up for a reminder for all coming to durango and ev1 else also just a safety reminder

Spyder Garage

I just returned from a trip to tulsa, ok and back to iowa and the road gators are the worst I ever remember seeing. Everybody in the car made the same comment. ****ty economy must be pushing the truckers to go father on their tires
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    I just returned from a trip to tulsa, ok and back to iowa and the road gators are the worst I ever remember seeing. Everybody in the car made the same comment. ****ty economy must be pushing the truckers to go father on their tires
    Can you imagine what the per mile cost to operate a rig is today.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Can you imagine what the per mile cost to operate a rig is today.
    $0.95/mile if you don't feed the trucker.
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Bumping this for a reminder

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

We were heading west on I44 and an eastbound semi threw a gator across the medium and into the front of our Chrysler suv, taking out the front cowl, windshield, etc. Thank God we were not on the Spyder and it made us very much more aware.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I am seeing these things all over
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sandrunr1 View Post
    Yes. The other day, I was behind a pickup and his spare tire fell off. I wasnt on my but in my truck but I just missed it. The car behind me wasnt so lucky.
    Couple years ago I was driving north on the 3-lane stretch of 75mph I-35 between Austin & San Antonio in our car. I was in the fast lane at 75, slowly gaining on a dually pickup in the middle lane pulling a large 4-wheel box trailer at about 70. Suddenly the left-front tire & wheel of the trailer separated from its axle and began bounding along in front of me, toward the concrete barrier-wall in the median. I slowed and hit my flashers; all the other traffic slowed and dropped back too, but the dually driver was unaware and kept on truckin'. The 70-mph wheel bounded higher and higher with each bounce and I envisioned it leaping the wall and meeting the opposing traffic head-on (shudder!). Luckily, it struck the wall and began drifting back to the right, without slowing down much at all. It eventually bounded across the road and its shoulder, then across the outer road, and over a fence, still rolling and bouncing very very fast. The last I saw, it was heading toward a house but it was too far behind us to see what happened then.

That was a fun experience. NOT! Imagine any motorcycle in that situation. Whew!

Soon, a hot little Mustang emerged from the pack behind us and caught up with the dually and got him to pull over. We didn't stop, enough other people did.
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

just bumping for safety concerns.