Spyder Garage

Default To change oil or not to change oil

My dealership said to me that I should change my oil every 4500 miles I thought about changing it every 7500 miles what should I do.

2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Change your oil as recommended by the manufacturer as outlined in your owners manual. For the 2015 RT that is 9,300 miles or one year whichever comes first.

PS Just noticed you are from Canada. So that is 15,000 kms or one year whichever comes first.
    Last edited by billybovine; 09-01-2018 at 08:06 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Change your oil as recommended by the manufacturer as outlined in your owners manual. For the 2015 RT that is 9,300 miles or one year whichever comes first.
    My last oil change was at 25,500 km I am now at 33,000 km that is 7,500 between can I go longer

2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rookiespyder View Post
    My last oil change was at 25,500 km I am now at 33,000 km that is 7,500 between can I go longer

Yes you can safely go 15,000 km or one year between oil changes.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Page 119 of your owners manual

oil change.jpg

You can go to 40,500 kms or one year whichever comes first. You can always change early oil early. Most of the time it would be just a waste of money. But there may be a reason to.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OIL CHANGES

There have been many folks here that have actually had their oil tested by various Labs that do this type of testing .... All Dino oils degrade first, & way sooner than 15,000km ..... blended oil isn't much better ..... and the full synthetics last the longest ( 7500km +/- ) .. In engines where the oil is only used in the engine Oil will last longer ( NOT a Spyder engine ) Oils used in ONLY the transmissions is a much thicker stronger Oil. Because the Spyders are using the same oil for the engine and transmission it has to compromise on what type is used..... The early SHEAR ( for the oil ) is caused by the transmission, not the engine ..... I change at 7500km using Full Synthetic Oil ..... others here do about the same ..... My Spyder has a 1330 engine and it the last Spyder I will own..... So I'm trying for 500,000 miles on my engine .....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 09-01-2018 at 01:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

If you an oil of the proper viscosity and specifications for your engine and change it on a regular schedule not to exceed the factory recommendation you will never have an oil related failure. I use Delo 400 in all my engines 2, 3 or 4 wheels. Gain as much info as you can and decied what works for you. Everybody has an opinion so watch out the BS factor.

Spyder Garage

Default Choices, choices

As long as you don't go over the recommended time/mileage your fine. There is the ryding factors.... when, where, how etc to consider so for my type of ryding I do 5 to 6,000 miles as I do more mountain roads with lots of shifting in hot weather at high rpm's. If you cruise the long roads you can go the recommended.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why do you need to ask that again ??
    Seems to me like it has already been answered.

BUT....you seem to be ignoring the "or one year" part which 3 or 4 posts have mentioned.

What is it about the recommendation that you don't understand ??

Spyder Garage

My dealership said to me that I should change my oil every 4500 miles I thought about changing it every 7500 miles what should I do.

I would suggest you;

-read your owner's manual
    -read through some of the oil threads that discuss this topic at great length

Then make your own decision
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

Billybovine posted the oil change interval for your Spyder. If you use oil meeting API service specificaions as listed in your owner's manual you will will be fine.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you don't feel like reading the entire manual: just read the Maintenance Section... it's too good to put down!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

They have you covered above. It is NEVER a problem to change the oil early. Clean oil is better oil--IMO.

Having said that, I follow the recommendations of Can Am. My 2014 gets it once a year or 9300 miles whichever comes first. I am currently on the "once a year" plan do to lower yearly mileage than 9300 (half my miles are now on the Vulcan).

BRP would not have made the recommendations if it was not safe.

On this one, don't exceed the max by much. Change it earlier if you feel; the vibes to do so.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Unless you put on more than 7500 miles a year, just change it in the fall, prior to storage. Then it's clean and fresh and ready to go when it wakes up in the spring.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    Unless you put on more than 7500 miles a year, just change it in the fall, prior to storage. Then it's clean and fresh and ready to go when it wakes up in the spring.
    That's what I do - But in August even though I only had 2,800 miles since last change I Extracted 2 Quarts and added 2 quarts to insure my engine is In the best shape of its life! Will change in November!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Huh

oil change.jpg

You can go to 40,500 kms or one year whichever comes first. You can always change early oil early. Most of the time it would be just a waste of money. But there may be a reason to.
    Billy - 40,500kms ........ do you want to change that number ................Mike

Spyder Garage

PS Just noticed you are from Canada. So that is 15,000 kms or one year whichever comes first.
    Yes billybovine we are neighbors about an hour away from each other. Thanks for the info that is what I am going to do. I will change my oil once a year because I will not be putting on 15,000 km a year.

2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

The manual was written by the engineers that designed this great machine. Everything else is just other peoples opinions. Follow the manual.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Default No its fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Billy - 40,500kms ........ do you want to change that number ................Mike
    Last oil change at 25,500 plus 15,000 equals 40,500. What is the problem?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Oil change depends on driving--if most of your trips are short mileage--go with the 4500, if your doing several hundred miles on the majority of trips--go with 7500+ miles.
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Default syn vs the blend

Has anyone seen a difference in blend vs fullsyn I've heard the full syn can cause slippage in the trans . opinions please

Spyder Garage

IF the full synthetic oil MEETS THE API SERVICE SPECIFICATIONS listed in your operator's guide, the claim that it will cause transmission (really meaning clutch) slippage PEGS THE BS METER!

The only way one can tell how Synth Blend and full synthetic oil compare is through laboratory analysis. For we riders out on the road the only common parameter we have is mileage. We have no control of all the other parameters that enter the equation. Analysis over a specified mileage parameter will give us a very good idea of how the oils compare in viscosity sheer, an important measure given the 9,300 mile oil change interval of the 1330 engine.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    IF the full synthetic oil MEETS THE API SERVICE SPECIFICATIONS listed in your operator's guide, the claim that it will cause transmission (really meaning clutch) slippage PEGS THE BS METER!

The only way one can tell how Synth Blend and full synthetic oil compare is through laboratory analysis. For we riders out on the road the only common parameter we have is mileage. We have no control of all the other parameters that enter the equation. Analysis over a specified mileage parameter will give us a very good idea of how the oils compare in viscosity sheer, an important measure given the 9,300 mile oil change interval of the 1330 engine.
    Thank you