Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yuasa Battery

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The problem with BS designated batteries. I will borrow the phrase from IdahoMtnSpyder. Is human ineptitude. If the battery part number ends with BS. It left the factory dry. If you get it and it is filled. The vendor did that. So did the vendor do it right? If you get it dry and fill it yourself. Are you going to do it right? The first time the battery is charged there may be still a few air bubbles in the glass mat that need to come out. Also there is more outgassing the first charge that may need to vent. So if it has not been prepped properly and the first charge is in the bike. The vent is going to release the pressure. If it's laying on its side like in 2012 and earlier Spyders. It's going to release acid. Result, peel the paint and rust the steel parts. In a vertical position. Still a risk but not as likely.

https://youtu.be/Xpg10yp4duo

I just ordered a new Yuasa battery today. Didn’t have the BS number and says it is factory filled and cycle charged. I don’t see a vendor going through the trouble of filling and repackaging.

I still cant believe my factory battery has lasted 5 years!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The problem with BS designated batteries. I will borrow the phrase from IdahoMtnSpyder. Is human ineptitude. If the battery part number ends with BS. It left the factory dry. If you get it and it is filled. The vendor did that. So did the vendor do it right? If you get it dry and fill it yourself. Are you going to do it right? The first time the battery is charged there may be still a few air bubbles in the glass mat that need to come out. Also there is more outgassing the first charge that may need to vent. So if it has not been prepped properly and the first charge is in the bike. The vent is going to release the pressure. If it's laying on its side like in 2012 and earlier Spyders. It's going to release acid. Result, peel the paint and rust the steel parts. In a vertical position. Still a risk but not as likely.

https://youtu.be/Xpg10yp4duo
    That is an excellent video on how to prepare the battery before installation. Because the procedure is somewhat complicated and time consuming that's the reason I will only buy a battery where I need to do the preparation. That way I'm confident the battery is properly prepared.
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    I just ordered a new Yuasa battery today. Didn’t have the BS number and says it is factory filled and cycle charged. I don’t see a vendor going through the trouble of filling and repackaging.

I still cant believe my factory battery has lasted 5 years!

I can remember a time when all motor vehicle where shipped dry and the vendor or customer had to filled them. There was no such thing as factory filled.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daz View Post
    That is an excellent video on how to prepare the battery before installation. Because the procedure is somewhat complicated and time consuming that's the reason I will only buy a battery where I need to do the preparation. That way I'm confident the battery is properly prepared.
    That way you get the freshest battery too.

2018 F3 LIMITED