Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yuasa Battery

Spyder Garage

Default Yuasa Battery

What is the difference between a stock Yuasa battery and a Yuasa motocross battery of the same p/n and ratings, made in the same factory other than packaging and price ?

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know...but

I would suspect the construction. Off road batteries take a beating where as the street vehicles don't. Cases, baffling etc have to hold up to all the bumps and jumps...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

if the part numbers are the same, the batteries may well be the same.
    There is an Interstate Battery warehouse/distributor here. They sell Yuasa batteries.
    If you go to their location you can get near wholesale prices on Yuasa batteries.
    Maybe that can be done elsewhere.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CBXBob View Post
    What is the difference between a stock Yuasa battery and a Yuasa motocross battery of the same p/n and ratings, made in the same factory other than packaging and price ?
    Yuasas' motorcross labeled battery is what I just installed in my rt. Batterymart $95.00 free shipping.

Spyder Garage

got one waiting at the shop right now. have used them for years. scooters, atv.
    free shipping from batterystuff.com.

forgot. also had them in my vtx and victory. the one for my rubicon was also available
    with 40 more cca. usually get at least 5 years out of them.
    Last edited by irvin48; 07-12-2018 at 01:47 PM.
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CBXBob View Post
    If it really does have exactly the same part number, it is likely that the LABEL is the only difference.

Excedrin comes in about 6 different varieties......but all are identical. Only the label is different.

Spyder Garage

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Motocross vs Yuasa

Thank you , thank you , thank you ..... I had heard and seen in print that they are essentially the same ...... but you and the Link have given me confidence in a Motocross purchase ..... and Thank you ......Mike

Spyder Garage

I could not find a Motocross brand equivalent to the Yuasa YTX24HL. (Factory filled and activated).

They only seem to sell a dry YTX24HL-BS equivalent which has not had good history in the Spyders nor is it the recommended replacement by Yuasa.

Has anyone found a Motocross brand that is a replacement for the OEM battery?

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I could not find a Motocross brand equivalent to the Yuasa YTX24HL. (Factory filled and activated).

They only seem to sell a dry YTX24HL-BS equivalent which has not had good history in the Spyders nor is it the recommended replacement by Yuasa.

https://www.batterymart.com/p-mosm72...m-battery.html

this is what I just installed.

Spyder Garage

Default Motocross vs Yuasa

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    . The same exact battery here on E-bay item # 112443225752 is $84.95 with FREE shipping . I just bought one. As Billy stated the Motocross labeled battery is MADE by Yuasa ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

In theory there should be no difference between a factory filled and a bottle filled battery (BS). As long as the battery seller or customer preps the battery correctly. I think Yuasa has a video on how to do it properly. The problem is people just do not follow instructions. They need to charged the first time, without the caps on, in a vertical position. The air bubbles need to come out of the glass mat.

So my recommendation is just to buy the factory filled ones.

There is some interesting reading of the TSBs in the early years of the Spyder when they came from the factory with bottle fill batteries and the dealers had to do it.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post

That is a dry battery that must be filled and activated prior to install. The Spyder charging system is not compatible with the initial charge requirements and they have very short life. IE that is not the correct battery for a Spyder. YTX24HL is the correct part, ie without the -BS suffix. Different battery.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    . The same exact battery here on E-bay item # 112443225752 is $84.95 with FREE shipping . I just bought one. As Billy stated the Motocross labeled battery is MADE by Yuasa ....... Mike
    Its made by Yuasa but thats the wrong battery. Read my prior post. I am not making this stuff up, its been hashed over many times before.

With a good deal of TLC that battery can be made to work but its not the recommended replacement by Yuasa, they have short life in Spyders and no warranty as a result. IE when they fail at a young age, its because of incorrect application, not battery fault.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

the one i have from batterystuff is a YTX24 HL Motocross. they sell very few fill it
    yourself batteries. and yes,they do sell cheaper ones too. i have always bought the
    yuasa house brand[mcross]. their ad says bs suffix so a phone call might be in order.
    im not an order by clicking shopper. i like to talk to a real person.
    their tech line is open m-f 6-5 pacific time. ph-541-4744421
    Last edited by irvin48; 07-14-2018 at 07:51 AM.
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That is a dry battery that must be filled and activated prior to install. The Spyder charging system is not compatible with the initial charge requirements and they have very short life.
    True as stated (except for the "very short life" claim) but there is no problem IF the newly filled battery is charged with an external charger BEFORE being put into service........per the instructions that come with it.

After that, you should have a battery that is functionally identical to one that is filled and charged at the factory.
    If done right, there is NO reason to believe that one filled by the end user is any less likely to have a good long life than one done at the factory.

It is wise to top up the charge on a factory filled battery before use too.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 07-14-2018 at 09:25 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    True as stated (except for the "very short life" claim) but there is no problem IF the newly filled battery is charged with an external charger BEFORE being put into service........per the instructions that come with it.

After that, you should have a battery that is functionally identical to one that is filled and charged at the factory.
    If done right, there is NO reason to believe that one filled by the end user is any less likely to have a good long life than one done at the factory.

It is wise to top up the charge on a factory filled battery before use too.
    Experience, not just mine, has shown this generally not to be the case. The factory activation sequence is a bit more involved than, fill with fluid, charge until full. There is a non-charge wait time for degas and a series of charging voltages and times to get the glass mat to fully absorb the electrolyte and fully charge, not just surface charge. BRP and the dealer network had a significant level of trouble with this early on and Yuasa sells the factory activated battery ONLY for Spyders. That is all we will install in customers bikes.

Yes, topping off a factory activated battery is always a good idea. We do but generally find them well over 90% charged even when they have been stored 6 months.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Experience, not just mine, has shown this generally not to be the case.
    Well it seems that MOST EVERYTHING about a Spyder is somewhat different.

MY experience, with cars, trucks, tractors, lawn mowers and two wheeled motorcycles is exactly the opposite.

I followed the instructions exactly and every one lasted 6 years or more with little to no special attention.
    IIRC, that involves filling, letting it sit for a few hours, doing the initial charge at a low rate and then topping up if necessary before installing the "permanent" caps.

I can't help but wonder how it is that you know what the factory procedure is ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Well it seems that MOST EVERYTHING about a Spyder is somewhat different.

MY experience, with cars, trucks, tractors, lawn mowers and two wheeled motorcycles is exactly the opposite.

I followed the instructions exactly and every one lasted 6 years or more with little to no special attention.
    IIRC, that involves filling, letting it sit for a few hours, doing the initial charge at a low rate and then topping up if necessary before installing the "permanent" caps.

I can't help but wonder how it is that you know what the factory procedure is ?

Someone emailed Yuasa and asked the difference between the factory activated battery recommended for the Spyder and a properly filled dry ship battery. They posted the response from Yuasa on Spyderlovers years ago. The jest of it was, yes you COULD do the same procedure yourself and end up the same place. Its not the same as the normal activation procedure advised for dry ship batteries.

Glad you have had good luck using a battery not recommended for the application. BRP and Yuasa have reason to advise using the factory activated battery and we stick with that recommendation for customers bikes.

FYI, Odyssey also has a factory activated battery that is an exact fit for the Spyders and also made in USA. Have had good experience with this one too.

This whole conversation started with looking for the Motocross part that was factory activated. Seems there is none readily available. We will stick with the Yuasa and Odyssey for our shop.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Yuasa - YTX24HL

That is a dry battery that must be filled and activated prior to install. The Spyder charging system is not compatible with the initial charge requirements and they have very short life. IE that is not the correct battery for a Spyder. YTX24HL is the correct part, ie without the -BS suffix. Different battery.
    .... Sorry but I think you are wrong on this No " BS " added to the YTX24 HL ..... My owners manual ( 2014 ) states the Battery should be a YTX24HL - BS ............. and this is what came with my RT when new ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Lets see....

My understanding is that the YTX24HL is factory filled and the YTX24HL-BS is bottle filled by the buyer. I just ordered one and followed the activation as follows.
    Fill the battery with the electrolyte
    Let it sit for 2 hours to saturate the cells
    Charge from 5-10 hours @ 2 amp
    Then your good to go....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Motocross batteries are made in the USA by Yuasa, one of the leading manufacturers in the world. The Motocross YTX24HL-BS is a high-performance AGM battery. This battery ships fully charged, sealed, and ready to use. The sealed design makes this battery leakproof and spillproof. (quote from battermarts website).

so which is it? are these batteries shipped dry or filled and sealed? since the battery is shipped charged and sealed why would it be required to break the seal and fill the battery then hope it can be sealed again?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    My understanding is that the YTX24HL is factory filled and the YTX24HL-BS is bottle filled by the buyer. I just ordered one and followed the activation as follows.
    From the Yuasa factory the -BS appears to explicitly mean acid supplied separately. For other batteries there is inconsistency whether or not the battery is shipped dry or wet regardless of the -BS designation. Some, like Motocross sellers, say the battery is ready to use when received even though they show the part # ending in -BS and their photos of the battery show -BS.

I just checked the tech specs for the 2014 RT. It definitely shows the battery to be YTX24HL -BS. Whether that is meant to be the correct # or if it's a carryover from the beginning of Spyder manuals is the question.

As JC has indicated the battery finder on the Yuasa website does bring up the YTX24HL only, without the -BS. I'm inclined to think that is to avoid human ineptitude as JC discusses and is not a technical necessity.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

The problem with BS designated batteries. I will borrow the phrase from IdahoMtnSpyder. Is human ineptitude. If the battery part number ends with BS. It left the factory dry. If you get it and it is filled. The vendor did that. So did the vendor do it right? If you get it dry and fill it yourself. Are you going to do it right? The first time the battery is charged there may be still a few air bubbles in the glass mat that need to come out. Also there is more outgassing the first charge that may need to vent. So if it has not been prepped properly and the first charge is in the bike. The vent is going to release the pressure. If it's laying on its side like in 2012 and earlier Spyders. It's going to release acid. Result, peel the paint and rust the steel parts. In a vertical position. Still a risk but not as likely.

https://youtu.be/Xpg10yp4duo

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

What about gel filled batteries? Got one for my Polaris ATV and it works great.