Spyder Garage

Default Manual Downshift Issue

I have a 2018 RTL - it has right at 3000 miles on it. Last week I started experiencing a quirky issue when attempting to downshift or put the Spyder in reverse. When slowing or wanting a lower gear while riding the twisties or mountains I am one of those that will downshift. The lever operates as it should when upshifting. It requires extra pressure or time on the lever to downshift. To me it seems as though the SE6 lever / sensor in the lever is FUBAR.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so what was your issue and resolution.

I am disappointed that at 3000 miles I have an issue like this. More disappointed that I could not get a service appointment until the 18th ... (I scheduled that two weeks ago for an oil change and to look at the downshift issue AND rear suspension noise).

Thanks in advance for any answers you have.
    Dave

"Pallidus Aranea"
    (Pale Spider)

• 2018 CamAm Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White / Chrome
    • 2008 H/D VROD 105th Anniversary Edition (665 of 1200) - Retired
    • 1987 Honda CRB600F - "Hurricane" - Retired

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex… It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein
    2018 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I have the same issue on my 2018 RT, except mine is one the upshift where I sometime have to press it more than once for the shift to happen.

I'm closing in on the 5,000 kilometer mark and plan to take it to the dealer soon.
    Last edited by ottawa-rider; 07-12-2018 at 08:02 AM.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've had some slight experience shifting but never a problem. I shift but only at slow speeds do I sense anything, and I remember someone mentioning that even though the transmission filter is good for more than two oil changes, he replaced his and the problem went away. I will be doing my own oil change in another 2-3k miles and will change that filter even though its not required yet. I have 4800 miles now and I had it serviced at 3100. When I shift from 1st to reverse, I do without putting it in neutral first. and visa versa.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Default Downshifting problems

I had the same problems with my SE6 not wanting to downshift or go into reverse. I was also having problems with my brake not releasing when I wanted to go some where. I finally got it to the shop and they could not replicate the problem. This was the second time with the brake not releasing.Neither time the shop couldn't replicate the problem. They got in touch with Can Am and was able to replace my reverse switch which I believe also replaced my brake switch at sometime. They had a call from CanAm and was told to order the brake motor also as CanAm new of some problems with it also. I just got it back and it shifts smoother than it did. I only have 15 miles on it since I got it back but am hopeful of not having anymore problems. By the way I only have 600 +/- miles on my new 2018 SE6 and had these problems. I am new to the threads here and I hope I can help with my problems and hope they are corrected.

Spyder Garage

Summer happens to be a busy time of the year for many Can-Am dealers. They’re not like auto dealers with many highly qualified technicians.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Try getting an appointment around here late July - early August..... (for those not in the know... we live 15 miles from Sturgis)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Summer happens to be a busy time of the year for many Can-Am dealers. They’re not like auto dealers with many highly qualified technicians.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the replies

Thank you for reading and replying. She is heading for the dealer on Wednesday - oil change, look at the shift lever and the 'squeak'. I have the attention of the 'super tech' - I stopped in to ask the parts guy something and the tech just happened to remember me and asked about the issues. Now he is at least informed first hand not via someone taking notes.

Hope that she spends as little time in 'BRP hanger' - I have a ride to do on the weekend and would love to have her at 100%.
    Dave

"Pallidus Aranea"
    (Pale Spider)

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex… It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pallidus Aranea View Post
    Thank you for reading and replying. She is heading for the dealer on Wednesday - oil change, look at the shift lever and the 'squeak'. I have the attention of the 'super tech' - I stopped in to ask the parts guy something and the tech just happened to remember me and asked about the issues. Now he is at least informed first hand not via someone taking notes.

Hope that she spends as little time in 'BRP hanger' - I have a ride to do on the weekend and would love to have her at 100%.
    They can test the operation of the handlebar shift lever while hooked up to BUDS. Should be quickly able to figure out the switch is the problem.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Hi Pallidus Aranea,

We are truly sorry for your unfortunate experience.
    At BRPcare your satisfaction matters and we apologize for the delay you've been experiencing.
    If you wish to received further assistance or keep us updated with your situation please send us an email at brp.care@brp.com with your VIN.

Again, we are truly sorry you experienced this issue but are confident that your dealer together with the technical department will find a solution for your unit.

Sophie - BRPcare
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Spyder Garage

Default SE6 shift paddle issues

500 miles on my new 2018 RT Ltd. Rode in a heavy downpour today, and now I have a hard time getting it to shift into neutral or reverse. I'm hoping that something just got wet and it will dry out, but after reading your posts, I wonder if something else might be going on. Back to the dealer for the second time in less than a week. I had 4 fault codes and an outdated software on delivery.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    They can test the operation of the handlebar shift lever while hooked up to BUDS. Should be quickly able to figure out the switch is the problem.
    Billy - I am hoping that BUDS gives them the answer AND that they can fix it rapidly. At times I have doubts about any dealers ability to service vehicles in a timely manner. From my wife's old Toyota dealer to the old HD dealer ... neither seemed to have answers, common parts stocked or an idea of customer service. I like the service tech at my nearest dealer - seems like a knowledgeable tech - just overwhelmed between watercraft, ATVs, lawn equipment and other brands of bikes. My fingers are crossed that they fix it and do so in a timely manner - because it always seems that you only need service when you actually have a ride planned.

Quote Originally Posted by amkrat View Post
    500 miles on my new 2018 RT Ltd. Rode in a heavy downpour today, and now I have a hard time getting it to shift into neutral or reverse. I'm hoping that something just got wet and it will dry out, but after reading your posts, I wonder if something else might be going on. Back to the dealer for the second time in less than a week. I had 4 fault codes and an outdated software on delivery.
    amkrat - Now you have my attention ... I rode a few weeks ago - monsoon like thunderstorm the first night caused me to pull in earlier than I wanted. Third and fourth day, I was sure that I might need an ark to get the last 500 miles back home. On days three and four - she lived under at completely waterproof cover .... but day one it did get drenched. If this is the case for the failure in both of our bikes, I think that we need to stuff the BRP suggestion box with ideas for waterproofing.

Thanks again to everyone I will let you know how tomorrow turns out .... oil change should be a no-brainer (and I would be doing it if I had the time), shift issue and dreaded squeak .... we shall see.
    Dave

"Pallidus Aranea"
    (Pale Spider)

Spyder Garage

I see there has been a Warranty Bulletin 2018-5 issued for this problem. Someone posted on facebook.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Billy - thanks a ton. I happen to stumble across the recall notice this morning in another post. Greatly appreciated!!!!
    Dave

"Pallidus Aranea"
    (Pale Spider)

Spyder Garage

Default Wrap up / outcome

I thought that I would wrap this up with the outcome.

Once the dealer 'diagnosed' the problem it was "isolated" to the "left handlebar cluster". It was ordered, with that "two-day / overnight" service . Replaced, tested and voila - all works well. The tech said that he had replaced several of the "right hand clusters" but "zero left hand". Seems that a common theme was that all of the Spyder had been ridden in wet conditions prior to the failures of either side.

I have no complaints with the dealer - it was in and out as fast as they could manage. Had to scheduled weeks in advance, waited on the shipping but in the end 'job well done.'

BRP - last I checked they are supposedly experts at making snow and watercraft - both exposed to moisture. Come on BRP - think about better waterproofing for the hand controls. These are not consumables or wear-dated items - nor are they cheap to the owners. A little engineering goes a long way.

Now time to stop reading the forum and ride ... once the rain stops.
    Dave

"Pallidus Aranea"
    (Pale Spider)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi Pallidus Aranea,

We are truly sorry for your unfortunate experience.
    At BRPcare your satisfaction matters and we apologize for the delay you've been experiencing.
    If you wish to received further assistance or keep us updated with your situation please send us an email at brp.care@brp.com with your VIN.

Again, we are truly sorry you experienced this issue but are confident that your dealer together with the technical department will find a solution for your unit.

Sophie - BRPcare
    The tiny font used in your post is hard to read.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP - last I checked they are supposedly experts at making snow and watercraft - both exposed to moisture. Come on BRP - think about better waterproofing for the hand controls. These are not consumables or wear-dated items - nor are they cheap to the owners. A little engineering goes a long way.
    They solicited your input......and gave you an email address.
    Use it.

For whatever good it will do.

Spyder Garage

Agreed .... and input submitted!
    Dave

"Pallidus Aranea"
    (Pale Spider)

Spyder Garage

I have a 2018 RTL - it has right at 3000 miles on it. Last week I started experiencing a quirky issue when attempting to downshift or put the Spyder in reverse. When slowing or wanting a lower gear while riding the twisties or mountains I am one of those that will downshift. The lever operates as it should when upshifting. It requires extra pressure or time on the lever to downshift. To me it seems as though the SE6 lever / sensor in the lever is FUBAR.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so what was your issue and resolution.
    I had the exact same problem on my 2018 RTL. Problem started happening well before 3000 mile mark. Couldn't downshift manually or put it in reverse without a lot of effort. Finally couldn't manually downshift at all...and could barely get it into reverse. It was in the shop for *two weeks* before I got it back. Now it downshifts beautifully and goes into reverse without any issue whatsoever. They had to replace the entire left-side housing around the shifter. I guess BRP took their time shipping the parts to the dealership.

So...you're not alone. :-)

Richard

2018 RT Limited
    Can-Am Driver Backrest
    Tricled Wide-Vu mirrors
    Spyderpops grips
    FOBO TPMS
    Lamonster Spyder Cuff
    Ram mount w/ X-Grip