Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Highway Speed RPM

Sorry gang but this was probably asked many times in the past. I currently own a 2013 Spyder RT (originally owned 2009 GS Roadster) and anyone who has owned one knows you pull over 5000 rpm at highway speed.

For those who own a Spyder with the 1330 engine, what rpm do you run at highway and what kind of MPG do you get?

Trying to talk my wife into an upgrade.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gldngolfer View Post
    For those who own a Spyder with the 1330 engine, what rpm do you run at highway and what kind of MPG do you get?
    Yes. Both of those things have been discussed extensively......and finding those threads should be fairly easy I think.

The RPM turned depends on what speed you are running. Personally I don't pay attention to the RPM because it is what it IS.
    After about 4000 miles on my RT, I seem to be averaging about 37 MPG, riding fairly conservatively.

Spyder Garage

Try 3500 - 4000 on the 1330's. Mine cruises nicely at 65/3500 rpm in sixth.

I usually keep mine in the 3000 - 3500 range. At 50/55 I am in fifth and about 3300.

You do NOT need to use the whole gearbox when driving the Spyder. Keep it "happy" in the sweet spot--(you will figure that out for yours).

My mileage (with 87 octane) is currently 39/41 on the 1330 and 29/31 on the 998.

The 998's like 5000 - 5500 to be happy. Same advice about the gears. I never used 5th unless I was over 60. Drove the Hana Hwy ( over 50 miles one way-Maui HI) totally in first gear. Speed limits 25 or less.

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING: Your numbers may vary a bit, as well as the input from others. Find what works best for YOU and YOUR machine.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-29-2018 at 02:49 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default tryinh to remember 990

if I am correct the `12 r-t 990 at 55 m.p.h. was posting 4200 r.p.m. on level land

Spyder Garage

It depends on how you play with the fun handle and atmospheric conditions. I've gone all the way from 29 to 45 mpg. The 29 was into a stiff OK/NM headwind at 85.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default With the 1330 SE6 RT we run at 66 MPH at 3300 RPM a lot

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    if I am correct the `12 r-t 990 at 55 m.p.h. was posting 4200 r.p.m. on level land
    The 215/60R15 car tire is a little taller than the OEM Kenda and puts the Speedo within 1% of the actual GPS measured speed, also it gives a perfect ratio of 1 MPH for every 50 RPM in 6th Gear.

SO for my RT at 56 MPH I'm running 2800 RPM and get over 40 MPG,

60 MPH is 3000 RPM at 40 MPG
    66 MPH is 3300 RPM at 38 MPG My favorite speed and road type
    72 MPH is 3600 RPM at 36 MPG Also a "Happy" Place to run

My wifes F3T will be running 12% higher RPM due to the taller sprocket, but get the same gas mileage because she pushes less air. YMMV
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

60 mph comes with about 3,100 rpm.
    With my 2010 RT: 56 mph would show up at 4,000 rpm
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thank You

Thanks for responding. It provides me with good information. I figured there would be a big difference. Going from 5000 rpm at 68 mph currently, down to mid 3000's plus a huge increase in MPG, seems like it would be worth the money to buy newer.

Just wish Ohio was warmer more months of the year so I could ride more!

Spyder Garage

my 2017 F3 was just under 4000 rpm at 75.
    My mpg was consistently 36-38, not being a turtle.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Default If selling for an upgrade....

Sell it by the tank and not the MPG...sound like a lot more...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Sorry gang but this was probably asked many times in the past. I currently own a 2013 Spyder RT (originally owned 2009 GS Roadster) and anyone who has owned one knows you pull over 5000 rpm at highway speed.

Trying to talk my wife into an upgrade.
    I find I cruise along pretty well at 3500 rpms, regardless of the gear I'm in. I don't keep track of mileage because it isn't a concern of mine. I bought the bike to ride and have fun with it, not to worry about efficiency.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RPM'S WITH 1330

Depending on the speed limit for the roads I'm on 3000 to 4000 rpm's I average 36 to 40 MPG depending on how Hot I'm riding ............. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

plus a huge increase in MPG, seems like it would be worth the money to buy newer.
    I don't think the difference really qualifies as "huge".

As an example: Riding 10,000 miles a year, the difference between 25 MPG and 35 MPG requires about 114 fewer gallons.
    At $2.50 per gallon, that's about $285 in savings.
    But the 1330 should have premium gas; that cuts your savings down closer to $200 a year.

Nice to have the extra mileage but I honestly don't think I have EVER met a bike rider who made his final choice of a ride based on fuel mileage.

Spyder Garage

I've seen a huge increase in MPG when I use non-ethanol high octane.

In my area of Texas non-ethanol is just not around. So, I get 10% ethanol 93 octane and average about 33-35 mpg.

I went to the Deadwood 3 Wheel Rally and only put in non-ethanol 91 octane. One day when it was long slow riding with a big group, I got 45mpg! Couldn't believe it. I probably averaged about 40mpg for the whole trip.

Bought an extra 5 gallons of ice cream for my Spyder to bring home.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default If.....

You keep your 1330 under 3k RPM's in any gear with any fuel you should get 40 MPG +. It's all in the wrist. Furthermore, don't forget if your on an RT you're flying a barn door down the road so there are many other factors to take into account, and always ride safely.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Re upgrade from twin to triple - all I can add is that on a 2000km trip with me on my ST and husband on his F3S, the triple had a 25% greater fuel range.

Since changing from my st to f3s I can say that I really really love not having to start looking for a petrol station every five minutes

I also love six forward gears
    and the seating comfort
    and the way better feeling through the twisties
    and the half-the-servicing
    and ... The list goes on

You'll save more dollars from reduced service requirements - that's probably a better "dollar" argument for an upgrade

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    One day when it was long slow riding with a big group, I got 45mpg! Couldn't believe it.
    Well you should NOT believe that all that difference was due to the gas. Most of it likely was due to the riding conditions, speed mostly.

The energy content of E-10 is about 3% less. Even if the engine wasn't running at peak efficiency because of lower octane, the most difference you should realistically expect is 5 to 8%. Not possible for the fuel alone to make a 28% difference.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Well you should NOT believe that all that difference was due to the gas. Most of it likely was due to the riding conditions, speed mostly.

The energy content of E-10 is about 3% less. Even if the engine wasn't running at peak efficiency because of lower octane, the most difference you should realistically expect is 5 to 8%. Not possible for the fuel alone to make a 28% difference.

Not a motorcycle example, but when my wife and I worked in Yellowstone a few summers back, we got *incredible* gas mileage on our days off. Reason? Long stretches of unsignaled roads (meaning no startups and stops) running at a steady 45 mph (the rangers loved to pull employees over). Some hills, sure, but what goes up.... No tickets all summer, and we averaged over 40-45 mpg in our 2014 CR-V that gets 20-30 mpg with our typical mix of driving.
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My best (So far) on the 2018 bike has been 43.4 mpg...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post

Seriously? I said two things to imply two things: slower riding and the nonethanol. 45mpg

But, when I get nonethanol high octane, I do get a bump in mpg. I see it every time.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

I calculate MPG with every tank. With 10%ethanol and my riding style I get on average 33mpg. When we go to Oklahoma to spend time with the in-laws I buy 91 nonethanol and ride fast and for long long times to get out. Lol. Always get about 38mpg. That’s 15% increase. Plus, I feel faster with it. 🤣

ethanol sucks.

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

I’m at 28000 miles on my 2015 RT. It seems like my RPM shifting points have slowly changed over time. Now, it could totally be my riding style or increasing experience, but in the early miles I was always shifting begore 4000 RPMs. Now, I’m 4000-5000RPMs. It really feels like the engine is running stronger and better.

Maybe it takes a number of miles for the engine to ‘break in?’

2015 RT Limited , black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Seriously? I said two things to imply two things: slower riding and the nonethanol. 45mpg

But, when I get nonethanol high octane, I do get a bump in mpg. I see it every time.
    Yes, seriously. ALL of what you say ties into the overall thought.

In this case, your comment started out with "When I use non-ethanol gas, I get a HUGE increase in fuel mileage."

And I am saying that the gas alone will NOT make a "huge" difference.

Spyder Garage

I will give you folks another reading for the Spyders on my next fill. I am using 87 octane this year for all my bikes.

I just had a "tune up" on the 998 and it got new spark plugs at 28K.

The Vulcan got 47.6 last tankfull. That is a little better than "usual."

UPDATE: 1330 39.1 998 31.8 that's up from 29/30
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-31-2018 at 07:41 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Agree, every time.
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue