Spyder Garage

Default Time for New Shocks

Hi All,
    I have been riding my 2013 STL for about 4 years now. I have put 13,500 miles on it. I'm close to getting new tires, but I'm thinking I will get the shocks replaced also. Here are my questions:
    1. Should I do it?
    2. If so, what should I get? I see Elka Stage 2 and Fox mentioned. What is giving you the greatest success. I ride solo 80% of the time and the rest of the time is group riding with my bride on the back.
    3. Where do you get them? Dealer? Online?

BTW, I have already changed the sway bar and links for Baja Ron models. The sway bar made a big difference. The reason I am considering new shocks is it seems a little mushy in tight curves, and in Pennsylvania we have a lot of tight curves!
    All the best,
    John

2022 RT Limited

• Garmin XT (I would be lost without it)
      Driving Lights (Very bright to improve my sight)
      Floorboard Lights and Turn Signals (I like to be seen)
      Passenger Armrests (So my wife doesn't fall off)
      Trailer Hitch (So we can bring more stuff with us)
      Chrome Wheels (Because the beautiful stock wheels just weren't good enough)
      Front Fender Sequential Reflector Lights (I was wondering what to do with my paycheck)

Spyder Garage

Default Depends...

That is not a lot of miles and I would imagine your shocks are fine. If you are not having problems with the handling. If adjustable you could change the adjustment and note the difference. My rear shock has 40,000 miles (6 years) and works fine even double up. I did change a lot on the front end due to the ryding I do and put on the Fox Podium shock and happy with them....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    That is not a lot of miles and I would imagine your shocks are fine. If you are not having problems with the handling. If adjustable you could change the adjustment and note the difference. My rear shock has 40,000 miles (6 years) and works fine even double up. I did change a lot on the front end due to the ryding I do and put on the Fox Podium shock and happy with them....
    Maybe you're looking for a way to justify the decision you have already made in your head?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Or.... BR Shock Adjusters for the '13

Or consider BR's Shock Spring Pre-Load Adjuster Kit, there's another thread going on right now about them. I too doubt your shocks are already bad, but the adjusters do allow you tweak your stock shocks for a lot less than the Elka's or Fox's.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Clarification

Just to clarify: I'm not saying that I NEED new shocks or that my shocks are bad. I'm just wondering if different shock would make a significant difference in handling. If new shocks or pre-load devices would make a great difference, I'm in, but I'm not just out to spend money.
    All the best,
    John

2022 RT Limited

• Garmin XT (I would be lost without it)
      Driving Lights (Very bright to improve my sight)
      Floorboard Lights and Turn Signals (I like to be seen)
      Passenger Armrests (So my wife doesn't fall off)
      Trailer Hitch (So we can bring more stuff with us)
      Chrome Wheels (Because the beautiful stock wheels just weren't good enough)
      Front Fender Sequential Reflector Lights (I was wondering what to do with my paycheck)

Spyder Garage

Default Oh yeah !!!

Quote Originally Posted by JCWeatherman View Post
    Just to clarify: I'm not saying that I NEED new shocks or that my shocks are bad. I'm just wondering if different shock would make a significant difference in handling. If new shocks or pre-load devices would make a great difference, I'm in, but I'm not just out to spend money.
    If your a spirited ryder you will feel the difference. I have wtih every step I made. Started with the swaybar, pitbull shock relocators, Fox podium shocks and BLUEKNIGHT911 shock relocators (moved them out another 11/2"). I do suggest whatever changes you make make them one at a time and then ryde for a while to see the effect of each...p
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes go with Baja Rons shock adjusters they will help with your twists and turns and not have to spend 700 bucks for new shocks.

Yes they do help.

Spyder Garage

Hi All,
    I have been riding my 2013 STL for about 4 years now. I have put 13,500 miles on it. I'm close to getting new tires, but I'm thinking I will get the shocks replaced also. Here are my questions:
    1. Should I do it?
    2. If so, what should I get? I see Elka Stage 2 and Fox mentioned. What is giving you the greatest success. I ride solo 80% of the time and the rest of the time is group riding with my bride on the back.
    3. Where do you get them? Dealer? Online?

BTW, I have already changed the sway bar and links for Baja Ron models. The sway bar made a big difference. The reason I am considering new shocks is it seems a little mushy in tight curves, and in Pennsylvania we have a lot of tight curves!

OK OK sorry, thought you said Socks! And I was wondering why.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I first went with the Baja ron bar..then switched to the Can-Am/Fox shock kit (thru ebay) right after i bought the bike. My bike only has 4700 miles on it now and corners like crazy with the Fox shocks and bar...that is riding solo. When riding double if feels a bit light up front (probably like a stock bike). Well worth if for single riding in my opinion.
    2013 Spyder ST Limited...Akrapovic Sport Silencer, Fog Lights, Backrest, Spyderpops BumpSkid, 2014 cooling panels, BajaRon swaybar, Fox shocks, RS-S mag wheels...
    2014 Spyder RT-S, Spyderpops BumpSkid, BajaRon Swaybar, TricLED lighting, Magic Mirrors, Akrapovic Sport Silencer...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NSPYTE View Post
    I first went with the Baja ron bar..then switched to the Can-Am/Fox shock kit (thru ebay) right after i bought the bike. My bike only has 4700 miles on it now and corners like crazy with the Fox shocks and bar...that is riding solo. When riding double if feels a bit light up front (probably like a stock bike). Well worth if for single riding in my opinion.
    Which bike are you talking about?
    2014 RTL Platinum

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Default and my two cents.........

I also have a '13 STL. I am not a spirited rider and most of my riding is 2 up. In my opinion, the stock suspension on the '13s were marginal to say the least,brand new. I now have 36K on mine and the original setup was sacked. Just 2 weeks ago I installed a new set of Elka stage 2 front and back, and what a difference. Now the tires just stay on the ground. Period! And my wife's back has fallen in love with that rear unit.
    I would suggest this. With that low mileage, I don't think your suspension is shot. If it really bothers you then by all means get the fronts. You will fall in love with the bike all over again.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Within 500 miles I had Fox shocks installed because coming from a two wheeler I felt the OEM suspension squishy. After 10k miles I noticed the front wheels were sagging so I adjusted the front shocks and figured they weren’t going to last much longer so I called Elka and talked to them. They recommended Stage 1 shocks as I don’t race nor ride with a passenger. I noticed a big difference. Problem is it was a LOT stiffer and the potholes were much more noticeable. They made for a rougher ride. Now on the RT I decided to go with BajaRon shock adjusters as I can dial them in to the comfort I want. I had 21k miles when I traded it in. The rear tire had been replaced but the front tires were barely half worn.
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 07-17-2018 at 11:27 AM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red