Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Confused about rear axle nut torque.

Can anybody tell me what it is for sure for a 2013 rts. I been told 95ft/lb and 161ft/lb?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ronpoust View Post
    Can anybody tell me what it is for sure for a 2013 rts. I been told 95ft/lb and 161ft/lb?
    The owners manual on my 2015 RT is 155 to 177 lbf.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Default check other post...

As stated in the other post...originally 96lbs and never saw or heard of any failings and almost doubling it seems overkill...BRP tech should explain...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default "13 RT Owner's manual page 168

123 N•m to 137 N•m (91 lbf•ft to 101 lbf•ft)
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Its higher on the newer models as stated above

Spyder Garage

2011 RTS: 91 to 101 ft./lbs.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Thank you for posting that, I thought it might be higher but only have a manual for the 15 RT.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Yeah, if you are going to buy a late model and want to remove the rear wheel, make sure you have a 30 foot long breaker bar for the 160ft lbs...

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

The OP ronpoust stated he had a 2013 RTS, same torque value for the whole RT line in the '13 Owners and Green Manual. Just saying,
    Last edited by DGoebel; 05-05-2017 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Corrected Ron's screen name
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

My service manual says 161 Ft pounds. I went and bought one of those 2 foot long gorilla torque wrenches.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

The OP ronpoust stated he had a 2013 RTS, same torque value for the whole RT line in the '13 Owners and Green Manual. Just saying,
    .....not quite sure what you are saying there, David? Looks like it changed to 160ftlbs in 2014.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There's a conflict between the owner's manual and the service manual. I see the owner's manual has what you show. However, the service manual for both the 2013 and 2014 RT series lists 166 ft-lbs. I'd be inclined to go with the service manual as it probably was edited more carefully than the owner's manual.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default JET ENGINES

having built a bizillion jet engines, i'm a TORQUE FREAK....
    i had my rear tire R&R, and when i got home, i put a torque wrench on my rear axle nut to see what it was torqued at... 31 foot pounds...
    i was furious... i called the Service Manager to register my complaint... he was EXCELLENT... told me to 'slowly' ride it back (10 miles), and he'd take care of it personally.... a few weeks later, i was back at the dealer for something else, and the mechanic that replaced my tire was no longer employed there...
    i can't tell you people how important it is to RE-CHECK all repairs & replacements as best you can...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Default Confused about rear axle nut torque.

Spyder3R, I hear you, sad thing is if you have to go over everything that you asked to have done, just do it yourself and save your money. I'm lucky I can do that as I was a tech for 28 yrs but a lot of people have to trust their dealer which is generally in my case and opinion from warranty work i've had done not going to work in your favor. A lot of motorcycle techs don't even want to work on a Spyder and for the most part don't have a clue how to repair them, even if they supposedly have been trained by Can Am. I've had to either take my trike back to have repair redone or take back for something they broke while doing the repair. 3 different repairs and 3 times back and not for serious problems. Belt adjustments. Speedo/tach cluster replacement, side trunk inner liner replacement. Plus new scratch's and fingerprints everywhere. Have given up on that dealer. Safe riding!
    Baja Ron sway bar, Spyder Dock, Highway Brackets,Trident pegs, Spyder Decals, Signal Mirror led strips, Utopia backrest, 5 pc. Hopnel liner set, cargo nets side/rear doors. Mesh bag front trunk, foam grips, spare trunk key, passenger armrests/storage pouch's, ram mounts/GPS, Drink holder,Phone, Passenger clamp-on drink holder, rear trunk tap light, custom plate frame, spyder fastener bolts, adjustable lower mirror wind deflectors, F4 Customs windshield -wide,tall,clear,vent,Chrome Spyder grill.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    .....not quite sure what you are saying there, David? Looks like it changed to 160ftlbs in 2014.

Pete
    Pete, I get that 2014's and later (Let's call them 2nd Gen spyders) use a different Torque, but the Original Poster asking the question, was asking a question about a 2013 (First Gen spyder), and I have the original Paper Owner's Manual that came with my 2013 RTL, I have the digital Owner's manual that Can-Am released for the 2013 models, AND I bought (apparently an earlier now outdated service manual) that all three use the numbers I was giving ronpoust the OP who asked "Confused about rear axle nut torque.

Can anybody tell me what it is for sure for a 2013 rts...." I was just using the printed and digital information that I got from BRP that said for All 2013 RT series, the rear axle torque was the lower range.

IdahoMtnSpyder must have an updated / corrected service manual that I didn't get so I do stand corrected, though all my (OLD) 2013 Manuals say's erroneously different.

While typing this I went and bought the online BestShopManuals@gmail.com Green Manual Service manual and it does say the higher spec. Going out to recheck my back axle now I gotta go buy a bigger torque wrench too..... arrrrrrggghhhhh

The latest publication rmr2013-032 Drive Belt and Rear Wheel
    Subsection Page 5 I just bought does say the 166 ftlbs...

I get it 166 ft lbs, ignore the lower value in the older docs. I too spent 20 years in the USAF and remember many a time when specs were modified long after the item was in use.... Thanks to EVERYONE above who quoted the correct
    166 ft lbs even for 2013's.
    Heading to my garage now....
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I get it 166 ft lbs, ignore the lower value in the older docs. I too spent 20 years in the USAF and remember many a time when specs were modified long after the item was in use.... Thanks to EVERYONE above who quoted the correct
    166 ft lbs even for 2013's.
    Heading to my garage now....
    Ahhhhhhh. Gotcha David......sorry, I'm a bit slow

.....better buy a set of dumbbells to go with your breaker bar though. I used a 3/4" torque wrench with a 2' arm and still had trouble getting past 150ftlbs. Luckily, that's enough with the +/- 10%...

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The torque wrench from Lowes works well and don't need a giant bar to tighten to the higher value. Maybe a bit more effort

Spyder Garage

166 ft/lbs is insane for this application. I'm sorry, but I have to wonder if they put such a high torque value as to discourage home mechanics rather than a mechanical necessity.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Default OK then,not confused anymore.

I retorqued axle nut from 100 ft/lb to 160 ft/lb. That is scary tight for a hollow axle, I was waiting for the pop but it held. the belt alignment stayed OK. Just ride it now and see what happens. Thank you everybody who took time to help

Spyder Garage

Question

Quote Originally Posted by ronpoust View Post
    I retorqued axle nut from 100 ft/lb to 160 ft/lb. That is scary tight for a hollow axle, I was waiting for the pop but it held. the belt alignment stayed OK. Just ride it now and see what happens. Thank you everybody who took time to help

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    166 ft/lbs is insane for this application. I'm sorry, but I have to wonder if they put such a high torque value as to discourage home mechanics rather than a mechanical necessity.
    Keep in mind the torque required to get the desired axial force on the shaft or bolt is proportional to the diameter. I don't know the numbers but think of it in terms of 166 ft-lbs on a 1" bolt giving the same axial tightness as 20 ft-lbs on a 3/8" diameter bolt. But I agree, 166 does seem to an awfully high number. What we need is a torque value for lubricated threads. That would far less than for dry threads and easier to achieve. And with the fine threads I don't believe there would be any concern about the nut working loose.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I've always gone with 120, thought that was the apex from way back. Never had a problem at 120 on my GS or RT. One scary thing is on the F3's they don't have a hole for a cotter pin.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Keep in mind the torque required to get the desired axial force on the shaft or bolt is proportional to the diameter. I don't know the numbers but think of it in terms of 166 ft-lbs on a 1" bolt giving the same axial tightness as 20 ft-lbs on a 3/8" diameter bolt. But I agree, 166 does seem to an awfully high number. What we need is a torque value for lubricated threads. That would far less than for dry threads and easier to achieve. And with the fine threads I don't believe there would be any concern about the nut working loose.
    I always wet torque the rear axle and have since early 2014. Since I do not want to debate the value or have someone try it and fail, I will not share the value or process I use.

As for 166lbft, my opinion is the BS cheap cast axle adjuster that will crush over time. A very poor design on their own and possibly the worst adjusters I have ever worked with.

Spyder Garage

Exclamation

There's definitely a cotter pin on my F3 rear axle
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by papanorm View Post
    There's definitely a cotter pin on my F3 rear axle
    Probably like an RT, cotter key but no castle nut.

The entire setup can come loose, just not start dropping parts to the pavement.