Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default The BEST re-tractable dog leash - 40 plus feet

I'm still not posting ..but I have to share this one ..... Max loves swimming ( see other posts ) but He tires easily ( 9 yr old BullDog ) so I keep Him on a Nylon lead ( 35ft long ) when in the water..... It worked but it was a real pain in the *ss having to gather all the lead when He was coming back... I checked out a lot of re-tractable dog leads , which were pretty short ( 26 ft max ) ...... Then I thought - what about a re-tractable ....CLOTHES LINE ..... ( short version ) I bought a 40 ft. one at Home Depot ( $ 19.99 ) .. It doesn't have a lock (and I'm glad ) just goes out and comes back via a wound Spring ...... It has only a slight pull to it , Max easily walks around and can even swim AWAY from me .... the amount of tension is perfect...... There are quite a few sellers of these, and maybe some will be too strong .... but the one at Home Depot is ....PERFECT ....... Mike ...PS, the reason I said PLUS feet ... is I think you could extend the length if you swapped the plastic rope (?) for something like a high lbs fishing line ..... I have some 300lb test line that they use for catching Great White's ....
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-09-2018 at 05:55 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gee...
    If you had a good surfcasting rod & reel, and some REALLY heavy-duty line and leader: I can bet that Max would just LOVE that ride!!

(Although you'd need to do some serious work on your shoulders: if you want to get him out past the breakers! )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Mark Spitz and Michael Phelps should be nervous about losing their swimming crowns. Max rocks..... Unleashed.....? Who knows what the possibilities are.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default Good to know....

Should work great on slow moving dogs... could get tricky with no lock on those faster hounds. But then should not be to hard to add a hand brake...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm still not posting ..but I have to share this one ..... Max loves swimming ( see other posts ) but He tires easily ( 9 yr old BullDog ) so I keep Him on a Nylon lead ( 35ft long ) when in the water..... It worked but it was a real pain in the *ss having to gather all the lead when He was coming back... I checked out a lot of re-tractable dog leads , which were pretty short ( 26 ft max ) ...... Then I thought - what about a re-tractable ....CLOTHES LINE ..... ( short version ) I bought a 40 ft. one at Home Depot ( $ 19.99 ) .. It doesn't have a lock (and I'm glad ) just goes out and comes back via a wound Spring ...... It has only a slight pull to it , Max easily walks around and can even swim AWAY from me .... the amount of tension is perfect...... There are quite a few sellers of these, and maybe some will be too strong .... but the one at Home Depot is ....PERFECT ....... Mike ...PS, the reason I said PLUS feet ... is I think you could extend the length if you swapped the plastic rope (?) for something like a high lbs fishing line ..... I have some 300lb test line that they use for catching Great White's ....
    Can you put a life preserver on him? Then connect the leash to the vest.
    2019 Rally , Black