Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post

When I got home. MY phone battery was at 35% charge. It was at a 100% when I left. There is not enough power on that usb cable to keep up with the needs of my phone. When just using BT audio it can barely maintain the battery charge. But when using the gps app as well. It just cannot keep up.
    That might be your cable. I notice with my Samsung that some cables will charge faster than others using the same outlet adapter. If BRP didn't put at least a 2.1A outlet in then I don't think you will get an iPhone to charge from it at all.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Culpjp View Post
    That might be your cable. I notice with my Samsung that some cables will charge faster than others using the same outlet adapter. If BRP didn't put at least a 2.1A outlet in then I don't think you will get an iPhone to charge from it at all.
    That trip was with the OE cable, that came in the box, with the phone, when new. Before that I was using a high speed charge rated cable. Both seem the same.

I have one of those usb power measuring devices around somewhere. I will have to try it and see what the numbers are.

There is no way they would they would have 2.1A charge rate. That is not allowed on usb combination data and power port. The usb port in the Spyder has only 4 wires. So that makes it a usb 1 or 2 so the max power is 0.5A
    Last edited by billybovine; 07-14-2018 at 12:38 PM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Here are the numbers

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

The bike's USB ports are limited to 500ma. You Samsung phone needs a 2A charging port. We ran into this same problem with the ports on the previous gen spyders. Your phone will need a charging port installed or leave with sufficient battery power to last all day in use.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

That trip was with the OE cable, that came in the box, with the phone, when new. Before that I was using a high speed charge rated cable. Both seem the same.

I have one of those usb power measuring devices around somewhere. I will have to try it and see what the numbers are.

There is no way they would they would have 2.1A charge rate. That is not allowed on usb combination data and power port. The usb port in the Spyder has only 4 wires. So that makes it a usb 1 or 2 so the max power is 0.5A
    A charging downstream Port can go to 1.5A.
    Your check with a meter shows they are using the older .5A standard. That means you won't be able to have your phone in use and charge at the same time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Culpjp View Post
    A charging downstream Port can go to 1.5A.
    Your check with a meter shows they are using the older .5A standard. That means you won't be able to have your phone in use and charge at the same time.
    I realize that the usb port won't keep my phone fully charged. But if I use a dedicated usb charging port. Then the BRP Connect app options are not available on the dash. So it is one or the other. If I do need a quick charge on my phone. I have a QC 3 compliant power bank in my top case. My phone can charge from 20% to 80% in 15 minutes with it. As long as it is not hot.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I realize that the usb port won't keep my phone fully charged. But if I use a dedicated usb charging port. Then the BRP Connect app options are not available on the dash. So it is one or the other. If I do need a quick charge on my phone. I have a QC 3 compliant power bank in my top case. My phone can charge from 20% to 80% in 15 minutes with it. As long as it is not hot.
    i do not bother charging while riding. My Galaxy 8+ has no trouble going all day while linked on bluetooth and charging overnight.

If you REALLY want to charge and use BRP Connect at the same time, get yourself a wireless charging cradle. I have one in my truck to use with Android Auto. The newer phones that use USB3 solved this problem.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    I've worked in technology since the mid-90's and have used computational modeling software that required working with the code house to find and fix their problems on UNIX and Windows platforms. As for BRP Connect, I'll wager it was contracted out to a third-world company with crappy specs and no software QA @ BRP. Or it would have worked. Did I miss something?
    I doubt that BRP has anyone involved in the software side of the business except a few liaison folks. BRP Connect comes from Bosch and their mySPIN connect system. http://www.bosch-softtec.com/myspin_2w.html.

I don't find it now but I think it was on the mySPIN site that showed Can Am as one of their partners. It makes sense they would use Bosch since they're the ones who developed Nanny software.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Bosch mySpin

in the words of Col. Hans Landa "That's a bingo!" Bosch has a great many apps that have been approved for the mySpin app. There are a few that might be interesting or helpful.

Thanks for the link in your reply - great insight.
    Dave

"Pallidus Aranea"
    (Pale Spider)

• 2018 CamAm Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White / Chrome
    • 2008 H/D VROD 105th Anniversary Edition (665 of 1200) - Retired
    • 1987 Honda CRB600F - "Hurricane" - Retired

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex… It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein
    2018 RT Limited , Pearl White

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Look at this URL from Google Play! https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nnect&hl=en_US

com.bosch.myspin.launcherapp_brpconnect all connected together!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I doubt that BRP has anyone involved in the software side of the business except a few liaison folks. BRP Connect comes from Bosch and their mySPIN connect system. http://www.bosch-softtec.com/myspin_2w.html.

I don't find it now but I think it was on the mySPIN site that showed Can Am as one of their partners. It makes sense they would use Bosch since they're the ones who developed Nanny software.
    According to the white paper, it still needs to be integrated into an OEM offering, such as Land Rover and Jaguar (both parts of the same company) did. I'll bet customers of those brands wouldn't put up with sub-par performance. So software integration is still an issue; so, too, is software QA.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap