Spyder Garage

Default Looking to buy New 2018 RT Limited

Looking to buy a 2018 RT Limited Spyder new from dealer. Never owned a spyder before. Riding a Goldwing now. Are there any specific questions to ask dealer? I rode the spyder for about 2 hrs and felt a little vibration. Mounted a Gopro on front left fender and in the footage it was vibrating, shaking, not steady. Is this a concern? Would a laser alignment help? The asking price is 27K, with all the rebates, is that a good price? Has there been any problems with the 2018 model? Need help in SC can't make up my mine

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IDClair View Post
    Looking to buy a 2018 RT Limited Spyder new from dealer. Never owned a spyder before. Riding a Goldwing now. Are there any specific questions to ask dealer? I rode the spyder for about 2 hrs and felt a little vibration. Mounted a Gopro on front left fender and in the footage it was vibrating, shaking, not steady. Is this a concern? Would a laser alignment help? The asking price is 27K, with all the rebates, is that a good price? Has there been any problems with the 2018 model? Need help in SC can't make up my mine
    I too like most others came from the two wheel world and there is a definite adjustment needed (500-800 mi. Adjusting time). I have a 2016 model so I don’t have the newest features that the 18’s have but from reading on this forum it appears that the new updated features takes a bit of patience to get used to. Everyone is different in how fast they pick it up but the 18’s have a lot of fun features.! Good luck and enjoy .,!!
    2016 RT-Ltd
    Bajaron swaybar
    Spyderpops trunk light
    Elka stage 2 front shocks
    Extra longbrake pedal
    brake modulator
    Centramatic wheel balancers on the front and rear.
    Rivco dual flag holder
    Tricled mirror turn signal indicators
    with American and Texas flags
    Lamonster Magic Mirrors
    missing belt guard
    Lambskin seat cover from Smokey mountain sheepskin.com
    Tricled 360 degree led Headlights
    Lamonster led fog lights
    Baker air wings
    2019 Silverado Duramax dually
    2019 Cyclone 4007 toyhauler
    Spyderpops bumpskid w led light
    Rivco brand footrest
    spydermanexhaust.com exhaust
    had my exhaust installed @ Spyder in the hills.

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The vibration on the fender I think is normal. The fender is mounted directly to the wheel network, not to the body where the shock would help smooth it out. As long as you are riding, the road imperfections that the tire is encountering will be transmitted directly to the fender.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Questions to ask the dealer might include whether they will include or provide at a reduced price the B.E.S.T. extended warranty. Will they do a laser alignment if you determine that's needed?

No telling what vibration you are feeling, but it's probably not indicative of alignment issues. If it's wheel related more likely balance.

Gopro on a front fender probably not indicative of anything
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-09-2018 at 05:35 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info on the vibration. Will be talking to dealer tomorrow. Reading the forum gives me lots of questions to ask.

Spyder Garage

Put Gopro on fender to see how the road. I use it to video trips. The spyder I road was a demo. I will ask about the tire balancing if needed. They have an extended warranty for an extra 5 yrs, so 7 total, for an extra $1200.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Put Gopro on fender to see how the road. I use it to video trips. The spyder I road was a demo. I will ask about the tire balancing if needed. They have an extended warranty for an extra 5 yrs, so 7 total, for an extra $1200.
    You will probably want to mount a vid-cam somewhere on the body, not the fender.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Has there been any problems with the 2018 model?
    There seems to be a LOT of problems with the new "electronic" dash.

If radio/music/audio is important to you......maybe you should look for a new left-over '17.

Is your present Wing a 3-wheeler ?
    If not, have you ridden one of them ??

Spyder Garage

Never owned a spyder before. Riding a Goldwing now. Are there any specific questions to ask dealer? I rode the spyder for about 2 hrs and felt a little vibration. Mounted a Gopro on front left fender and in the footage it was vibrating, shaking, not steady.
    Hopefully this is not a dumb question. Did the dealer tell you to relax your hands? I was warned that if I held the grips like I did on the Suzuki Boulevard we traded in that I would feel a shake like a car in need of an alignment. Dealer said to relax and stretch put my fingers with my palms on the grips. Had to do that a half dozen times on the ride home with it (120 miles from dealer to house). No problems at all now (1800 miles in three weeks). Poor ole Angry Bug is gonna have over 2k by the time we get the tags transferred!

Spyder Garage

My Goldwing is a 2-wheeler, and I did try not to hold the handlebars too tight, but I probably did, ugg!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My Goldwing is a 2-wheeler, and I did try not to hold the handlebars too tight, but I probably did, ugg!
    If it is in good condition you might want to look into a conversion.

That cost is about $15K around here, I think.