Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Docster View Post
    Like any other company BRP has to balance the costs of every component/feature to hit the price point they feel the product can sell at and still turn the profit margin necessary to satisfy stockholders and/or owners, stay in business and generate cash reserves for expansion and unexpected occurrences (i.e.recalls).

If that were not the case, every vehicle, shopping cart, desktop computer, cell phone etc would come with EVERYTHING for EVERYBODY and be perfect in every way.......just not affordable by most.
    BINGO, well said!

The other part is how many features does the product have that the consumer doesn't know about, or how to use, and won't take the time to learn how to use! Mu brother in law had a truck for 7 years and never knew it had a remote starter on it from the factory, all the while complaining that other companies put them on their truck stock, and he would have to buy one if he wanted it.
    He read over that quickly in the manual and complained about something that he had but didn't know he had it.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    What am I missing, what needs to be fixed with the turn signal switch?
    Mine is the same as every other motorcycle I have ever owned, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, push left for left blinker, push right for right blinker, push in to cancel, or let it self cancel.
    HELL-YEAH 2.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    BINGO, well said!

The other part is how many features does the product have that the consumer doesn't know about, or how to use, and won't take the time to learn how to use! Mu brother in law had a truck for 7 years and never knew it had a remote starter on it from the factory, all the while complaining that other companies put them on their truck stock, and he would have to buy one if he wanted it.
    He read over that quickly in the manual and complained about something that he had but didn't know he had it.
    Another good one heard lately. Someone was complaining about how bad their car was. She had it for a couple years. The steering would shake when changing lanes and how irritating that was. A friend spoke up before I could. Told her you can turn that feature off you know. It's called lane departure warning. There will be an option to turn that off. Better yet just drive following the rules of the road. If you signal your intention to change lanes like you are suppose to. The wheel will not shake.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

So I'm not wanting to beat a dead horse and I don't want to sound like I'm whining about issues and that being said I admit I don't have a lot of experience with a Can Am.. First one was a 2013 RTS and now have a 2018 RT. Prior to that owned a 1972 Honda 500-4, a 1976 Goldwing, 1999 Helix, 2001 Silverwing, 2004 Goldwing, and now a 2018 Can Am. Wife owns the 2013 and she's been cycling as long as I have.

So I decided to give the audio system another look. Hooked up the smart phone to cable in fronk, opened the BRP app. I paired the phone to the Spyder and got a connection with app. The maps don't work because I'm not willing to pay the 45 dollars to run the maps. (just me) I selected the music option on the BRP app and it played from external speakers. Next I paired my helmet headset to the Spyder radio and pairing was successful. Then went back into menu and changed the audio output from speaker to helmet. It worked! Thought OK lets go back and listen to FM. FM to the helmet does not work.

I will admit that the Spyder radio system is very imaginative and is a little complicated and if you don't use it or navigate the menu's very often you forget where things are. My headset has a built in Radio with 6 presets. I can scan up and down the frequencies to find the strongest station. From the helmet I can give a voice command to turn off radio, raise and lower the volume, and play taped music without touching anything. So I'm happy with that.

I am a little disappointed that a radio system in which there was thousands of dollars put into research and development would so be complicated to operate. (my thoughts) And I did my research, I purchased the shop manual, I watched the video from BRP and I found out more from reading instructions from this board. One such insight was how to find stations incrementally. I don't think I would ever have found that on my own. At least I can't find any documentation to show me how.

My suggestion would be for BRP to contract with one or more of the guru's on this board to write an Instruction manual for the radio operation.

Bottom line is I love the machine and will have it a long time.

PS: Has anyone connected FM to headset via bluetooth?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rvanbeek View Post
    So I'm not wanting to beat a dead horse . . .

. . .

I will admit that the Spyder radio system is very imaginative and is a little complicated and if you don't use it or navigate the menu's very often you forget where things are. My headset has a built in Radio with 6 presets. I can scan up and down the frequencies to find the strongest station. From the helmet I can give a voice command to turn off radio, raise and lower the volume, and play taped music without touching anything. So I'm happy with that.

. . .

My suggestion would be for BRP to contract with one or more of the guru's on this board to write an Instruction manual for the radio operation.

Fisrt off if you check the owners manual packet you should find info on how to get a $90 cash card to compensate for the price of the Genius Maps. (Garmin’s app can cost $50).

Secondly, you have figure out how to talk to the radio?
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ride2GetHigh View Post
    Who else do you blame for "bad engineering" if it isn't the company that made it??? GEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS.........

The knowledge is out there, I have read it and the complaints are all over the world. Is there a GOOD reason I shouldn't ask why there is no AM radio on the bike? Is there a GOOD reason why I shouldn't ask why they support only a few headsets and block others? I have a list as well as others that are supported over and over.......

BURP hasn't done what the people that buy their product want or need.

Plain and simple. Many people understand that....Others........well have a nice day and safe ride...........
    John

You need to remember that most of the people here are fanboys/girls. I have been around for quite some time and it is always the same, folks feel they have to defend BRP.... Rather than adding to the post or saying that they are totally satisfied with everything BRP the consensus is to tell you that it is great and get used to it. No machine is perfect, and I believe you have some valid points. I think some of the stuff they did to this 2018 is nice... but for the most part it is the same bike I had in 2014 plus a bit of new electronics (which most on this board have complained about). I personally do not think I should have to go to a dealer (and pay) for a software update that BRP provides when the electronics that were not functioning properly. When I stated this earlier there were several who said the price wasn't bad or that the dealer is spending time and should be compensated (to which I agree, just not by me). So for me add that to your list of things that could be better.

This is my 4th RT and the 3rd was the best so far regarding maintenance and problems. It did not leave me stranded like the 11 did (although once near Zion park it would not start ... DESS problem, had dinner and came back and it started) so I will have to see if the new 2018 is as reliable as the 14 was. I have about 80k miles on the three previous Spyders and most have been extremely fun times. Good Luck with your 18 and I hope some of the issues that you have can be corrected.

Willy
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ride2GetHigh View Post
    Who else do you blame for "bad engineering" if it isn't the company that made it??? GEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS.........

The knowledge is out there, I have read it and the complaints are all over the world. Is there a GOOD reason I shouldn't ask why there is no AM radio on the bike? Is there a GOOD reason why I shouldn't ask why they support only a few headsets and block others? I have a list as well as others that are supported over and over.......

BURP hasn't done what the people that buy their product want or need.

Plain and simple. Many people understand that....Others........well have a nice day and safe ride...........
    John
    Can't possibly know why anyone these days would want AM Radio. Most AM stations in San Diego and LA are in another language. ie Chinese/Spanish/Arabic. Most here are Spanish. You need to fast forward to the (at least) 90's. I have XM radio on all the time with a choice of hundreds of varying stations. I also have over 600 songs by various artists (including my own) and do not want for any entertainment other than that let alone AM radio.

Last time I listened to AM radio I was 12 years old and milking Old Jersey in the Red Barn. Mostly Hank Williams and Frank Sinatra. We had two stations and one was a 50,000 Watt coming from Del Rio Texas. I was in Colorado.

BRP is trying to keep up with the newest technology. Maybe you should also and complain less.

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rvanbeek View Post
    So I'm not wanting to beat a dead horse and I don't want to sound like I'm whining about issues and that being said I admit I don't have a lot of experience with a Can Am.. First one was a 2013 RTS and now have a 2018 RT. Prior to that owned a 1972 Honda 500-4, a 1976 Goldwing, 1999 Helix, 2001 Silverwing, 2004 Goldwing, and now a 2018 Can Am. Wife owns the 2013 and she's been cycling as long as I have.

So I decided to give the audio system another look. Hooked up the smart phone to cable in fronk, opened the BRP app. I paired the phone to the Spyder and got a connection with app. The maps don't work because I'm not willing to pay the 45 dollars to run the maps. (just me) I selected the music option on the BRP app and it played from external speakers. Next I paired my helmet headset to the Spyder radio and pairing was successful. Then went back into menu and changed the audio output from speaker to helmet. It worked! Thought OK lets go back and listen to FM. FM to the helmet does not work.

I am a little disappointed that a radio system in which there was thousands of dollars put into research and development would so be complicated to operate. (my thoughts) And I did my research, I purchased the shop manual, I watched the video from BRP and I found out more from reading instructions from this board. One such insight was how to find stations incrementally. I don't think I would ever have found that on my own. At least I can't find any documentation to show me how.

Yes, XM has priority and FM is secondary. Turn off the XM or mute and FM Bluetooths to my Sena SMH10. I still have the old GM665 that is Bluetooth and XM capable. Can also play both thru the Speakers. Eat your Hearts out. 2014 RTL.

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check out a few AM radio station in the SF Bay Area. KGO810 and KSFO560. Both are VERY popular and widely listened to for news, sports and more importantly, Traffic/weather. You can get these stations as apps on the phone but that isn't available either. When getting into a big city you should be able to find at least one AM station that you can get traffic info as well as weather.

My other thought, is the Goldwing GL1800 came out in 2001 and this year they came out with a new model. It was taking Honda 4 years to change models and then 12 years for the 1500 and 16 years for the 18. All have had AM/FM radios and that latest models had Satellite and all have, and still have., CB radio. BRP needs to take a look at what Honda does and learn from them.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red