Spyder Garage

Default Double amputee looking for advice!

Ok, 54 years ago I was born without my legs from the knees down. I have small feet where my knees would be that has allowed me to shift gears on my quads by raising or modding the shift lever. I have always put the rear brake line on the front master cylinder with a proportion valve. This worked fine over the years of racing and trail riding on my sport quads like the Suzuki z400 and Yamaha Raptor. I have a good friend that wants to sell his 2015 sport Spyders, $12000. It looks like the shifter could be modded like I did the quads by adding to it and bring it to where my foot could reach it. The brakes looks away more difficult. Any advice on controls and is $12,000 a fair price on a like new with 6,000 miles? Thanks for your help!

Spyder Garage

Default ISCI

Quote Originally Posted by Quadsport View Post
    Ok, 54 years ago I was born without my legs from the knees down. I have small feet where my knees would be that has allowed me to shift gears on my quads by raising or modding the shift lever. I have always put the rear brake line on the front master cylinder with a proportion valve. This worked fine over the years of racing and trail riding on my sport quads like the Suzuki z400 and Yamaha Raptor. I have a good friend that wants to sell his 2015 sport Spyders, $12000. It looks like the shifter could be modded like I did the quads by adding to it and bring it to where my foot could reach it. The brakes looks away more difficult. Any advice on controls and is $12,000 a fair price on a like new with 6,000 miles? Thanks for your help!
    Have you looked at the ISCI website for modifications? Their website is located here: http://www.isciride.com/home/rsrtst-...h-accessories/

I am not sure what model you are referring to by "2015 Sport Spyders" . I would look for a SE6 model Spyder (and not SM5 or SM6) which has the semi-automatic shifter so the only mod needed would be the brakes.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I can't help with price but are you aware that there is an electric shift available on the Spyders? It's a thumb shift on the left handlebar. There are much more of these out there than manual (left foot) shift spyders so you should be able to get one easily enough. One less thing to modify for your use.

Modding the brakes should be simpler than your previous experience as all circuits are routed to the one foot pedal on the right side. The main brake mod for disabilities is to add a hand brake lever on the right handlebar - ISCI is the only one I know of but there may be others:

http://www.isciride.com/product/hand-brake-system/ It is quite expensive though.

Otherwise you could fabricate an extension to bring the brake lever high enough so you could put your right foot on it. As long as you could put enough pressure on the pedal with your foot that would work. Which model are you looking at? The pedal is in a different position on the v-twin RS/RSS models compared to the newer F3.

edit - LOL!! - looks likle I was beaten to it by al0vely!!
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

Thanks! I thought the electric shift may cost a lot more. The ES quads had a bunch of problems. This Spyders I am looking at has been well taken care of and that what is making me lean to it.

Spyder Garage

No issues with the electric shift on the spyders. It works fantastically with great clutch control from the computer.

The SEs are a little more new and will have a small premium used but wouldn't have thought it was more than $500-$1000 over a manual. And you will always sell an SE easier down the line as they are more in demand. Manual is a much smaller market to re-sell into.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=monkeyboymorton;1375451]No issues with the electric shift on the spyders. It works fantastically with great clutch control from the computer.

The SEs are a little more new and will have a small premium used but wouldn't have thought it was more than $500-$1000 over a manual. And you will always sell an SE easier down the line as they are more in demand. Manual is a much smaller market to re-sell into.[/QUOTE

Thank you for the sound advice!

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ya know, at 76 and disabled, I have gladly paid a bit more for the semi-auto. When I bought my first Spyder (2009 RS SE5), I had to wait months t get it. just not happy with the manual, Boy!, the wait was worth is. i've owned 3 Spyder's and would never consider a manual trans. again!!!!!
    Ride in comfort,
    John
    Last edited by sealfloorboards; 07-09-2018 at 12:16 PM.

Spyder Garage

I am also going to jump on the recommendation to get a semi-auto . Of the five I have had, four have been the SE. That will solve the foot shifting part.

The ISCI brake is the other easy solution. They are a bit pricey, but worth the end result. You should check these out also. They have a website.

More information about the specific model you are considering for $12K. RS, RT, F3 and of course--Manual (SM) or Semi Auto (SE). There are a lot of used, well taken care of 's for sale here. Many from members who have left a trail of posts commenting on their specific machine.

Getting a "good" used one and simple mods above should not be a problem. You have come to the right place for advice.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red