Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

God is giving you the continued strength to do his will. We offer our unceasing prayers.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Steve we continue to lift you all up in prayer!
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Update on Kathy

Praise report for Kathy 9/13-16 Please note that this report, unless something happens, will cover Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I spoke to Kathy's Neurologist at length today and he was able to fill me in in several aspects. First, she does not have two bleeds, she has either 5 or 6. The worst ones are in the occipital lobe at the rear of her brain. The worse of those two is the right side. This is where we think that the majority of the seizure activity has occurred. (the opposite side of the brain controls motor skills on the other side - Left side controls body on the right and right side controls the body on the left) This is why the majority of her symptoms are effecting her left side. There is a very real fear that she may have lost her sight. He said that it is not a matter of whether she has brain damage, because she certainly does (which you may remember what I stated from my internet searches) It will come down to how much and where. She has bleeding in the Frontal lobe Region of the cerebrum located under the frontal bone; contains the primary

motor cortex (precentral gyrus) and is involved in complex learning, Temporal lobe Region of the cerebrum located under temporal bone; processes information

associated with hearing and equilibrium, Parietal lobe Region of the cerebrum located under parietal bone; contains the primary

sensory cortex (postcentral gyrus) and is involved in language acquisition, and Corpus callosum The major bridge of white fibers that connects the two hemispheres of the

cerebrum. He also said that the brain will eventually absorb the blood and that the seizures should stop. She needs as much rest as possible in the next three days as she can get. We are asking everyone, including all family members to let her rest. If you have to see her, make your visits short, try not to talk to her or touch her very much. I have not been to see her since Monday. I know a little about brain injuries and I felt being there would impede her recovery, especially since she has heard my voice, knows my scent for almost 2 decades, this would stimulate her. I think that is what happened Monday afternoon when she had that long seizure. I had not been there until about 5 minutes before it happened. She had not had a seizure for about 6 hours prior to that, so you tell me. Speaking about that 42 minute seizure, the MD said that even though they had physically stopped the seizure symptoms, the EEG was showing that she was still seizing in her brain for almost 48 hours until he increased her anti-seizure medication. She is actually on three different seizure medications. I hate not seeing her, but I am not selfish enough to put my wants above what is best for Kathy. On Monday, the MD said that they will start to wake her up and then assess what damage has occurred. This may not take place Monday as Kathy had a lot of difficulty waking from the last coma, so the amount of time that takes is unknown at this point. I would appreciate prayers for Kathy over the next three days. Things may look bad, but remember, God is always in control. What we need to pray for is God's Will for Kathy! More updates Monday.

Spyder Garage

Hang in there Doc, we are all with you Kathy and your family.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Praying for you both

Praying for G-d's will to be revealed to you . . .

BuddhaRyder
    IBA Premier #60956
    Silver MileEater

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just wanted to let you (Steve) and Kathy know that I am thinking of you both. Sending hugs and prayers to your way.
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Continued prayers for you both
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Spyder Garage

We are praying for you all.

2017 F3T Black
    2016 RT LTD Black - Traded
    2015 Indian Chief Vintage Red

Spyder Garage

Default Update on Kathy

Praise report for Kathy 9/17 - I got up at 5am this morning so that I could do all the morning stuff and then fight the morning rush hour traffic to get to the hospital before 9AM. I got there about 20 minutes early; just enough time to drink a cup of decaf down. When I went back I was surprised that Kathy had her eyes open. They were fixed on a location on the ceiling. When I called her name she did not acknowledge me at all. She alternated between that thousand yard stare and closing he eyes and sleeping. When the nurse came in for her morning assessment shortly after, she responded to her and was able to stick her tongue out on command. i ask the nurse how long she had been off of the coma medicine and she said about 26 hours. This is more progress than she had at UofL Hospital when they brought her out of the first medically induced coma in late July. It took her about 4-5 days to respond, so going by that she is doing better this time. Her daughter came in and the nurse was able to get her to do the tongue thing again for her. And, before I left in the early afternoon she stuck out her tongue for me. She has yet to actually look or focus on anyone, so we are not sure about her sight. She seemed confused and agitated a few times; struggling to move herself and I finally told her what had happened and that she would be more conscious as the coma drug got out of her system. Maybe it was me thinking it, but she seemed to be a little calmer after that. This will be a slow process and will take several days before we can truly find out where she is mentally. I again ask for your prayers for her as we explore our new circumstances. Should be able to update you more each day. Thanks for all the wonderful support everyone has shown us. They say that joy shared in multiplied and pain shared is divided. I can completely attest to that. God Bless you all!!

Spyder Garage

Doc we still lift you and Kathy up many times each and every day in accordance with 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18!
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I requested prayer for Kathy yesterday in my Sunday School class.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Spyder Garage

I glad there is improvement!! More sent to Kathy and you.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Update on Kathy

Praise Report for Kathy 9/18 - Sitting here in the waiting room to go in and see Kathy today. Have about 5 minutes before I can go in. I am sitting here thinking of how much improvement she has made. I hope they gave her a diuretic as she was quite swollen yesterday. This will also help to remove any residual coma medicine. I will update this as I go. Ok, I have quite a bit of info. First of all, Kathy has tested positive for a Superbug called VRE. This is a antibiotic resistant strain that can be transferred by touch or by touching any contaminated surface in her room. It is suggested that you thoroughly wash your hands and wipe down any items you bring with you that have been set down. Not a good turn of events. Kathy also is unable to move her left side. Total paralysis. It may improve as the coma drug leaves her system, but it is very doubtful that will happen. She also is not able to move her tongue as much as yesterday. I have told her several times today what has happened to her. It has seemed to help. Going back to previous posts, the Nerologist told me last week that the seizures seemed to be more left side dominant from the right side of her brain. You may notice that I deleted the previous post after I had copied it due to the updates. Here is a link to the SuperBug:
    http://healthywa.wa.gov.au/Articles/...nterococci-VRE

Spyder Garage

Default Doc and Kathy

May God keep you and bless you both.

Spyder Garage

Default Update on Kathy

Praise Report for Kathy 9/19 - I spent most of the day with Kathy and spoke to several advocates and MD's. Her RN that she had today is a really great guy and even went as far to read the Nero's notes to me. Every MD that has examined Kathy has said that her prognosis is poor. She is running a slight fever and may be getting another virus in her lungs. The report went on to say that Kathy has moments when she can try to follow voice commands, but then she fades out to that thousand yard stare. There seem to be more periods of zoning out. The coma med may have something to do with this, but in all honesty since I have strung three days together, her condition seems to be downgrading. Kathy also may have a blood clot in her right arm since it is so swollen in relationship to the left.

In the 18 years that Kathy and I have been married we have had "the talk" many times; you younger folks may not know what that is about yet, but if you are together long enough you will talk about what your wishes are. Kathy and I have had multiple talks about this and we both believe that if we are ever on life support, and it is very likely that we are not going to fully recover to a functional and meaningful life, that the other spouse would remove the life support and end their suffering. Kathy is quickly approaching a crossroads in her life. With the ventilator she is limited to where she can go for aftercare. We have tried the "Best" LTAC facilities that are offered and to be truthful, I think they are a joke. Some of the people are very good and some are not. It is a dice roll who you are going to get each day. With the problems Kathy had there; (2 ER and ICU visits in 7 days) in her current condition she would not survive long. I see 2 equally possible outcomes from removing her vent. Either Kathy will be able to breathe on her own and her placement will then go up exponentially, or she will pass on. I firmly believe that God will have the final say so in this. If Kathy still has things to do on this planet, then she will. If her time is done here, she will return to the Father. All the vent is doing is delaying things as they should be. I love her enough to let her go if that is what is meant to happen. We are having a "all hands" meeting on Friday where all of the available family and the care providers will discuss her care plan moving forward. I learned today that one of Kathy's daughters has suddenly remembered a conversation that her and Kathy had at U of L that Kathy wanted to modify her wishes. The immediate thoughts that come to mind is:

1. Since her hands were so shaky she could not write that out and since she was on a vent she could not tell her wishes, so how did she convey this?

2. Since Kathy knew I was the person to decide that why didn't she tell me also?

3. What wasn't something said about this earlier to me?

4. If she did say something about this, how do we know that she was in her right mind?

5. All I can do is go by her wishes we discussed prior to the accident. Anything else is suspect.

This whole situation is a mess. I have always told the truth and conveyed everything as correctly as possible.

I will be made out to be the "bad" person in all this. Just know that I really don't care about that. Regardless, I will exercise Kathy's wishes. She would have done the same for me. That's how tight we were. And how much we love each other. Remember several days ago I ask for you to pray for God's Will to be done. Let's keep praying that one. And remember; God has the last word in all of this.

We humans make plans,

but the Lord

has the final word.

We may think we know

what is right,

but the Lord is the judge

of our motives.

Proverbs 16: 1&2

God Bless you all! More tomorrow!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So sorry to hear about this. By any chance did you and Kathy execute a Living Will or Final Directive? If not, and you feel you are losing control over the situation, it may be time to consult a trusted attorney.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 09-19-2018 at 09:34 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Praying for Peace from the Father remembering that all things work together for good even though we might not see how. Somehow I believe there will be a powerful testimony that will come out of this.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Our thoughts & prayers here Down Under are with you both Doc, and while I know from personal experience that it won't be easy, you must be true to yourself, Kathy, & your understanding of Kathy's wishes, as hard as that may be, whatever the choice/decision. To do anything less will leave you suffering & questioning for the rest of your life, not that you won't question yourself anyway/either way (been there, done that, hadta make both choices at different times, still do sometimes question & wonder 'what if' about each decision.... but I have FAITH that I did the right thing to the best of my ability!) So whichever/whatever the future brings, at least you can draw comfort in knowing that you carried out her wishes & God's Will to the best of your ability.

And btw, those who question your choice (either way) will likely have questioned any way, probably because they don't have faith that you will do the best you can/make the choice you feel is best, as guided by your FAITH; and you simply can't go thru your life trying to placate those who have no faith or FAITH, since without either, they will probably never understand!

We have FAITH that you will try to make the right choice decision for Kathy and for you, as guided by your FAITH and understanding, and our thoughts & prayers support you in that! Ours is not the place to question....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Our thoughts & prayers here Down Under are with you both Doc, and while I know from personal experience that it won't be easy, you must be true to yourself, Kathy, & your understanding of Kathy's wishes, as hard as that may be, whatever the choice/decision. To do anything less will leave you suffering & questioning for the rest of your life, not that you won't question yourself anyway/either way (been there, done that, hadta make both choices at different times, still do sometimes question & wonder 'what if' about each decision.... but I have FAITH that I did the right thing to the best of my ability!) So whichever/whatever the future brings, at least you can draw comfort in knowing that you carried out her wishes & God's Will to the best of your ability.

And btw, those who question your choice (either way) will likely have questioned any way, probably because they don't have faith that you will do the best you can/make the choice you feel is best, as guided by your FAITH; and you simply can't go thru your life trying to placate those who have no faith or FAITH, since without either, they will probably never understand!

We have FAITH that you will try to make the right choice decision for Kathy and for you, as guided by your FAITH and understanding, and our thoughts & prayers support you in that! Ours is not the place to question....
    I think the concern is that other family members are challenging his right to make the decision he feels is in Kathy's best interest.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

What I didn't say is the daughter that is trying to cause trouble prior to the accident had spent less than 5 hours total with her mother for the entire year. And she lives 10 minutes away and all three children go to school 5 blocks away. She hasn't been around only because she has not wanted to. Now, she is trying to buy back some of that lost time at Kathy's expense. Indiana law is ironclad: In the event a patient is unable to convey their wishes, the legally married spouse will be the one to determine anything medical. Not the children. Not that distant relative. I just need to be unbend able. And I will be. Because I could be there and her here and she would do the same.

Spyder Garage

My prayers are with you and Kathy.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    What I didn't say is the daughter that is trying to cause trouble prior to the accident had spent less than 5 hours total with her mother for the entire year. And she lives 10 minutes away and all three children go to school 5 blocks away. She hasn't been around only because she has not wanted to. Now, she is trying to buy back some of that lost time at Kathy's expense. Indiana law is ironclad: In the event a patient is unable to convey their wishes, the legally married spouse will be the one to determine anything medical. Not the children. Not that distant relative. I just need to be unbend able. And I will be. Because I could be there and her here and she would do the same.
    Hey Doc,...I hope you had a chance to read my “ Healing” Thesis I linked you too, a couple of months ago. As I said, you would get every sort of advice from different Prayer Warriors with many contradictions. In case you haven’t, here is the best Spiritual advice I ever have been able to put to good use. Hang in there.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, And wisdom to know the difference.”
    007 James
    Last edited by 007james; 09-20-2018 at 07:15 PM.
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Prayer

I pray God's wisdom and peace for you.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Doc, I'm so very sorry for all that you and Kathy have been through, and now you're struggling as I was last May when my husband of 44 years suffered a massive hemorrhagic stroke. We too had discussed, never unwaveringly, our wishes to be let go if there was no reasonable hope of returning to near normal life. Quality over quantity, we always said.

And then it happened. Unexpectedly and suddenly, we were facing our worst fears as Bill continued to lay unresponsive and unimproved despite the shunt embedded in his skull to relieve the sea of blood and pressure which had already damaged his brain.

Doctors had said, even before inserting the shunt, that he'd never be normal again. They predicted 3-4 months of "recovery" in a nursing home, possibly still on his respirator, and with a substantial chance of succumbing to pneumonia. As the days elapsed with no improvement, they now predicted a year or more of rehab in a nursing home, and with stronger assurances that he'd be no where near normal.

Bill was a brilliant, brilliant man who needed to constantly exercise his brain and to help others with his knowledge. For this to be the organ that would permanently fail him, my agonizing decision had always been clear, but it was finally time for me to have the courage to honor his wishes.

On the worst day of my life, had him pulled from life support. He died five days later.

Making that decision flooded me with relief, yet I frequently torture myself by wondering if I did the right thing. Would this outstanding man have pulled off a miracle and fought back to cranial normalcy? Was he, despite his damaged state, aware of my impending decision and desperately wanted to tell me he'd changed his mind, but was unable to? I've learned that these are normal emotions of the surviving loved one.

Doc, you'll make the right decision, and like most everyone else who's been in our tragic situation, you'll always wonder what if, no matter how obvious your loved one's wishes were or how clearly the suffering would have continued to be. The best we can do is give our loved ones a chance and then decide if we should allow them peace. And if our decision should be to allow them peace, we then have to allow peace to permeate ourselves as well. I wish you and Kathy the very best and continue to send love your way.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've been watching this thread since it all started, and I've tried to minimize my comments...
    Doc,
    Stay strong for Kathy... We will be praying hard for all of you.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black