Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mark4Jesus View Post
    Here is God's heart toward our prayers, our requests, and our heart. Please read the verses listed.

James 5:16

John 14:13

Acts 3:6, 4:10

God looks for faith. Faith brings continual prayers. Since we can't be there, emojis are a way of expressing concern, love, and emotion (hence the name emoji).

Hope this answers your question.
    Thank you for your kind response. No kidding.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 08-31-2018 at 04:53 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here is God's heart toward our prayers, our requests, and our heart. Please read the verses listed.

James 5:16

John 14:13

Acts 3:6, 4:10

God looks for faith. Faith brings continual prayers. Since we can't be there, emojis are a way of expressing concern, love, and emotion (hence the name emoji).

Hope this answers your question.
    Well said, Mark.

Also, everything prayed for must work into His grand plan. There are reasons we go through the things we do, and it is hard for us to see a reason at the time. Having Christian on line Fellowship and Encouragement increases our faith, let's us know we are not alone in this wilderness of a world we live in. It edifies and lifts us up, and gives us comfort in our hour of need. I can attest to that firsthand. The only prayer that doesn't get answered is the one not prayed.

Spyder Garage

Default Update on Kathy

Praise Report for Kathy - 8/31 - Kathy is getting better now. Her daughter, Tiff was with her part of the day. We have finally figured out what appears to have happened to get her in ICU this time. Evidently, Kindred North started her right back on the same type of feeding solution that she was getting at the U of L and at the same rate. Couple of factors then came into play. I believe that there were several days (over the weekend) that U of L stopped her feeds. So, it was at least 3 days before they were restarted. We were told that it is "policy" to just blindly start feeding a transfer the exact same setting without any verification that the patient is correctly absorbing the nutrition. That is a very bad policy and with a trach patient a very dangerous one. Overfeeding (like in Kathy's case) can cause a person with a trach to throw up and then aspirate (suck in) the solution directly into their lungs. The procedure for checking meal solution is not complicated or time consuming. You use a measured container and a large syringe and draw out the contents of the stomach at 4 hour intervals, measuring how much is there. Then it is a quick calculation of feed units per hour minus what you measured. The result is a pretty accurate estimate of how much meal solution the patient is absorbing. You can then adjust it up or down as the case need be. This test takes about 5 minutes to do. That is 6 times a day. A total of 30 minutes in a 24 hour period. I think their policy needs changed. They also said Kathy has GERD, which may have contributed. I think they are just trying to find reasons other than the obvious. Kathy wants Tiff to make 110 cupcakes for the staff at Community North they have been so nice to her. We will have to make a decision in a few days whether she is going back to Kindred North. Every day she gets stronger. Keep the prayers coming. She is back on the mend.
    Praise Report for Kathy - 8/31 - Kathy is getting better now. Her daughter, Tiff was with her part of the day. We have finally figured out what appears to have happened to get her in ICU this time. Evidently, Kindred North started her right back on the same type of feeding solution that she was getting at the U of L and at the same rate. Couple of factors then came into play. I believe that there were several day (over the weekend) that U of L stopped her feeds. So, it was at least 3 days before they were restarted. We were told that it is "policy" to just blindly start feeding a transfer the exact same setting without any verification that the patient is correctly absorbing the nutrition. That is a very bad policy and with a trach patient a very dangerous one. Overfeeding (like in Kathy's case) can cause a person with a trach to throw up and then aspirate (suck in) the solution directly into their lungs. The procedure for checking meal solution is not complicated or time consuming. You use a measured container and a large syringe and draw out the contents of the stomach at 4 hour intervals, measuring how much is there. Then it is a quick calculation of feed units per hour minus what you measured. The result is a pretty accurate estimate of how much meal solution the patient is absorbing. You can then adjust it up or down as the case need be. This test takes about 5 minutes to do. That is 6 times a day. A total of 30 minutes in a 24 hour period. I think their policy needs changed. They also said Kathy has GERD, which may have contributed. I think they are just trying to find reasons other than the obvious. Kathy wants Tiff to make 110 cupcakes for the staff at Community North they have been so nice to her. We will have to make a decision in a few days whether she is going back to Kindred North. Every day she gets stronger. Keep the prayers coming. She is back on the mend.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    Well said, Mark.

Also, everything prayed for must work into His grand plan. There are reasons we go through the things we do, and it is hard for us to see a reason at the time. Having Christian on line Fellowship and Encouragement increases our faith, let's us know we are not alone in this wilderness of a world we live in. It edifies and lifts us up, and gives us comfort in our hour of need. I can attest to that firsthand. The only prayer that doesn't get answered is the one not prayed.
    That's my understanding of faith and prayer also. It just gets a little confusing when there's a setback and folks start blaming the care providers. Aren't setbacks part of His grand plan also? Wasn't the accident itself part of the plan?

Please note I am asking these questions in all sincerity and don't intend them as criticism of beliefs or believers.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Update on Kathy

Praise Report for Kathy - 9/1 - Little early today, but they are working on her right now. She is the most alert and animated that she has been since the accident. They have her feeds done correctly and are monitoring them like it should have been done. She was at 31 units at Kindred North, where the issue occurred. They now have got her up to 55 units in 24 hours. By monitoring her absorption every 4 hours, they have made her goal of 55 units in 24 hours. Her urine output and color are great and she still has not needed dialysis. Her breathing is again in C pap mode where she initiates all her breathing on her own. They have her at the lowest setting for the vent. Should not be long before they start her on straight O2. The nurse mentioned that she is doing so well that they will start on discharge papers next week. Next we have to decide about placement. Kindred North will take her back, but Kathy is not really wanting to go there. She has lost her confidence with them. The case worker will give us a list of the facilities that will meet the guidelines that Kathy needs. Once the trach is out, she will be able to rehab just about anywhere. We need to pray for continued healing, protection, and favorable outcome in placement. It has been 7 weeks today since the accident. Thanks for your prayers yet again.

Spyder Garage

Doc, My wife who was very involved in large scale healthcare issues mentioned to me that Kindred does not have a particularly good reputation as a healthcare company. You might want to ask your wife's current healthcare providers who they would recommend other than Kindred.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Bob View Post
    Doc, My wife who was very involved in large scale healthcare issues mentioned to me that Kindred does not have a particularly good reputation as a healthcare company. You might want to ask your wife's current healthcare providers who they would recommend other than Kindred.
    We have assessed all the other LTAC facilities in the area, and Kindred is sadly rated the highest of them all. She will be going back there Tuesday and either me or someone from the family will be there 24/7 until she is out.

Fool me once......

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    That's my understanding of faith and prayer also. It just gets a little confusing when there's a setback and folks start blaming the care providers. Aren't setbacks part of His grand plan also? Wasn't the accident itself part of the plan?

Please note I am asking these questions in all sincerity and don't intend them as criticism of beliefs or believers.
    UtahPete,
    It is impossible for us to know the mind and will of God. He is too big and we are too small. What a Christian is to do, and this is not always easy, is to look for ways to glorify God and share our faith in Jesus Christ, in whatever situation we find ourselves. Life will always have its ups and downs, even in healing. I do not believe that God controls everyone's actions 24/7 like we are puppets and He is the puppeteer. God can, however, choose to intervene. I posted a while back regarding Kathy. Why didn't He intervene so that Kathy did not have this accident? Based on what I've seen, it has been to cause people to come together in prayer to Him. For people who have never met to bond together spiritually in prayer. I have seen the strengthening of faith. And, it has brought you to this place asking sincere questions wanting to know.

Each setback has brought new people into Kathy's life, new people to hear about faith in Jesus Christ. Each setback has caused us to prayer more fervently. The challenge we face with setbacks is looking beyond the physical, that we can see and touch, and look for the spiritual, how God is moving in hearts that we cannot see. Also, how we can be used to touch those hearts.

Is it possible that God's main purpose for allowing this to happened to Kathy was to bring you to the point of asking these questions? I can't say, but this is where you are.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Spyder Garage

We have assessed all the other LTAC facilities in the area, and Kindred is sadly rated the highest of them all. She will be going back there Tuesday and either me or someone from the family will be there 24/7 until she is out.

Fool me once......
    Having family there 24/7 is a great idea as Kathy could benefit from having constant advocates for the best healthcare possible. Good communication between your family members will help to convey to care staff the continuity of services that you are all looking for. A lot of forum members are sending positive energy Kathy's way as well as strength for the whole family in these challenging times.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

UtahPete, It is impossible for us to know the mind and will of God. He is too big and we are too small. What a Christian is to do, and this is not always easy, is to look for ways to glorify God and share our faith in Jesus Christ, in whatever situation we find ourselves. Life will always have its ups and downs, even in healing. I do not believe that God controls everyone's actions 24/7 like we are puppets and He is the puppeteer. God can, however, choose to intervene. I posted a while back regarding Kathy. Why didn't He intervene so that Kathy did not have this accident? Based on what I've seen, it has been to cause people to come together in prayer to Him. For people who have never met to bond together spiritually in prayer. I have seen the strengthening of faith. And, it has brought you to this place asking sincere questions wanting to know.

Each setback has brought new people into Kathy's life, new people to hear about faith in Jesus Christ. Each setback has caused us to prayer more fervently. The challenge we face with setbacks is looking beyond the physical, that we can see and touch, and look for the spiritual, how God is moving in hearts that we cannot see. Also, how we can be used to touch those hearts.

Is it possible that God's main purpose for allowing this to happened to Kathy was to bring you to the point of asking these questions? I can't say, but this is where you are.
    Again, thank you for your thoughtful and kind response. You live your faith and I respect that.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Update on Kathy

Praise Report for Kathy 9/2 - This will be a little short today. One of those rinse and repeat type days. Kathy had had a great day today; several good friends and her son visited. Her vitals are very good and she is getting ready for the move Tuesday. She did have a little confusion and anxiety this evening and they are giving her something to calm her down. It has got to be hard sleeping with a trach. I could not even imagine doing it. They are also going to give her something to sleep tonight. The Placement Coordinator and I went over the stats of all of the LTAC facilities in the area and sadly Kindred North was the best they had to offer so Kathy will be going back to there. We have made plans to have a family member with her 24/7 until she gets out. This is the only way to make sure that she will have the care she needs. I have been preparing myself for the last 7 weeks to begin to take a more active role in her care. Some of you know about this, but I did a 45 day water only fast that I just came off of last Monday when she left U of L. In that time I was able to not only lose 65 lbs (and falling), but to strength train and do cardio twice a day. I am now a much leaner, much more fit person than I was when this first happened. Not saying any of this to brag; I give God all the glory in allowing me to do what I have done (and will continue to do). There is a Planet Fitness 15 minutes away from the facility where I can catch a workout and a shower afterwards, so that I can continue to tone and strengthen. If you want to experience what this change to me is like, grab two 25 lb weights and carry them around for a few minutes. I have a spring in my step that hasn't been there in years. We need everyone's' prayers now more than ever. Pray for my strength and resolve to see this last stretch through. Pray for Kathy's anxiety and for her continued improvements. And pray for the facility for the discernment to know ahead just how much rain a PO'd Marine can make if they screw up Kathy's care again! Thanks for the Prayers and support. I have a few things in the works (not going into details yet), that may make some changes that are needed. We will need your help and many others when that happens also.

Spyder Garage

, healing thoughts, & the best of wishes still heading your way for the both of you from Down Under!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Hey Doc, guess what? God is happy to share the results of the weight loss and effort with you. At the end of the day you had to put in the effort and discipline. That was all you and you should feel proud of it.

Again just my .02c worth!
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    Hey Doc, guess what? God is happy to share the results of the weight loss and effort with you. At the end of the day you had to put in the effort and discipline. That was all you and you should feel proud of it.

Again just my .02c worth!
    Understand what you are saying, but I still give Him all the credit. I could have never done it without His help. I did the work, but where my will fell short, His filled the gap. And the neat thing is that now that I have broken through the "food barrier" several times it is much easier to do. In fact, I am on day 2 of a 5 day water fast again.
    The advantages are enormous! I am off all blood pressure meds. I no longer take any cholesterol meds either. And the biggest change I no longer take diabetes medicine or insulin. I was taking a combination of 165 units daily of short and long term. My A1C back in Feb. was 7.4. This past Monday it was 6.0 and I am sure that next time it will be even lower. My blood work was excellent with the VA then and my MD said that whatever I'm doing, keep it up. My blood pressure usually is around 115/65 with a pulse of about 70. Haven't had those numbers in decades. I sleep less, workout more, am more alert and have more energy.
    And as a side comment, my Daytona has gotten much faster. It is like I have put a turbo on it. If 65lbs can make that much difference, I can't wait until I hit my goal loss of 130 lbs. That byke will scream then.

Spyder Garage

Default OUTSTANDING, DEVIL DOG!!!

Fantastic, Doc! You've taken a HUGE step to better health. BRAVO ZULU!
    Semper Fi!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Update for Kathy

Praise Report for Kathy 9/3 - Kathy was transferred Community North earlier this afternoon. They decided to move her a day early. She seems to be resting well. Certainly much better having me here. Everyone has been all over her getting her settled. Only one snide remark from one nurse, but I ignored it. Not going to get drawn out. I think we will see the best they have to offer. Not really much else to report. I will know more tomorrow. I believe therr is a silver lining of her having to go to Communty North. They determined that she was starting to get some infection in her right lung from pneumonia. They started treatment on it immediately. It was caught very early. Tiffanie, Jay, and the kids visited for part of the day.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nslowmotion View Post
    Mrs Kathy Humphreys from Roaster Renovations was in an accident today. I humbly ask for your prayers in agreement of Gods word that she comes out of this just fine. She is a true woman of God and a personal friend of mine and so is Doc and they could use some prayer right now.
    Thank you in advance.
    Prayers sent

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Doc,
    I'm glad to hear that they caught the pneumonia early; I hope that they can beat it quickly!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Praise Report for Kathy 9/3 - Kathy was transferred Community North earlier this afternoon. They decided to move her a day early. She seems to be resting well. Certainly much better having me here. Everyone has been all over her getting her settled. Only one snide remark from one nurse, but I ignored it. Not going to get drawn out. I think we will see the best they have to offer. Not really much else to report. I will know more tomorrow. I believe therr is a silver lining of her having to go to Communty North. They determined that she was starting to get some infection in her right lung from pneumonia. They started treatment on it immediately. It was caught very early. Tiffanie, Jay, and the kids visited for part of the day.
    Glad she is on the path to recovery. Smart thing to have family there as much as possible. Hugs and prayers.
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Default Update for Kathy

Praise Report for Kathy 9/4 - After the post yesterday, Kathy became very sick due to a mixup in her feeding mixtures. Almost a repeat experience of last week with the exception I was here and recognized what was going on. I am not going to go into detail other than to say that at one point they almost called a code blue she was so bad. By the quick thinking of the charge nurse, they did several things that turned her around. Can't really blame Kindred for this as the handoff info was not correct from the other hospital. One thing that they did do was give her a large shot of lacex. This has seemed to really kick start her kidneys into high gear. She has filled up her cath bag seven times since about 10pm last night. They are talking about removing her dialysis ports since she will no longer need them. They had her sitting up for a few minutes on the side of her bed. She was a little shaky, but did fine. Please pray for her stomach to tolerate the feed she is now on. She did well with it at Community North. We are still putting up cards in her room. Thank You again! They really brightened her day!!

Spyder Garage

Default Update for Kathy

Praise Report for Kathy 9/5 - Wow! Lots of stuff going on today. This morning Kathy worked with speech therapy and was able to use a device to speak though her trach tube. Kinda proud, first words were, "l love you, honey!". She took a few tries to get the hang of it, but it wasn't long before she was talking a mile a minute. She said that her voice sounded loud to her ears. I told her it had been almost 2 months since she had spoken last. For the second day in a row, she sat up on the side of the bed. Twice as long as the last time. Tomorrow they will get her up in a chair. The MD made his rounds and decided to retry the food solution for just 12 hours and not do it at night. We'll see if that helps tonight. The kidney specialist stopped by and told us that since her numbers and output was so good, they will remove her dialysis ports as they are no longer needed since she has full kidney function. Praise God! We had 2 ladies from a local church stop by wanting to pray for Kathy and I was able to tell them about the accident and how God intervened for her. Kathy's son, Josh will be up in a little bit and I will be able to workout at the local PF and also to shower! I have caught a few mistakes that the facility has made; usually a information handout from person to person. I encourage you to have someone with whoever is in the hospital to be their advocate. It is the only way to go. Please continue the prayers for healing and strengthening . Thank You !

Spyder Garage

So glad to hear things are going better. Yes anyone in a hospital, assisted living or anything like that needs an advocate, even the best intensions somethimes are not enuf, it's a tough job even for those that care and give it their all and then there are those that just don't care or are not capable of doing the job.

When my wife was in the hosp for about 10 days for spinal fusion (her 2nd one, she has her bottom 6 vertebrae fused together now) I took FMLA and slept in her room every nite and slept on the floor beside the couch when she came home. The nurses were great but how many patients were they responsible for. Her mom was in independent or supportive living for 4 years and we did not put her into assisted living we just made sure she was taken care of. We could tell you quite a few horror stories so we just made sure we were there.
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Praise the Lord! So encouraging!
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Doc,
    Thanks for the good news about her kidneys!!
    Each step is now coming at a faster pace...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Update for Kathy

Chair.jpg

Praise Report for Kathy 9/6 - After the most restful night that she has had since the accident, Kathy told respiratory to remove her vent today. She is ready for it to be out. She only had to be suctioned 3 times in a 12 hour period last night. And my insisting on stopping her meal solutions at night was a huge success. And of course that was really downplayed at the MD'S rounds. They don't like to be wrong. We then argued about the amount to increase her feed; he wanted 20 units and I pointed out that she had only been fed about 4 hours or 40 units. 20 units times 12 hours is 240 total units, which is 6 times what she had. He then conceded my point and we agreed to leave it at 10 units per hour. 12 hours will be 120 units or 3 times what she had yesterday. That will be enough increase in my opinion. She has not had any pain medication since day before yesterday. Kathy was able to set up on the bed for about the same time as yesterday. Then, this afternoon she was gotten up into a chair and sat for an hour. She continues to improve. Please keep praying.