Spyder Garage

Default Clutchless transmision

I was told today by any authority on Spyders that the SE5 for the 2008, and 2009 models doesn't have a clutch. They have a clutch less manual transmission. That's the first I have every heard of the that in an early Spyder. Is this accurate? I was always told that the SE5 basically has a transmission similar to the SM5, but with a centrifugal clutch that is operated by the nanny.

Spyder Garage

I had a 2009 SE5. Don't know about the clutch operation--but it worked just fine for us.

Have also had them in my 2010, 2011, and 2014. Same as above.

Will watch the thread as it unfolds though. I like the extra information.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Yes a SE5 has a clutch and only one of them. The clutch pack looks the same as a manual, but is normally not engaged. The opposite of a manual where the clutch normally engaged. The centrifugal mechanism compresses the clutch pack to engage when the rpms increase and disengage when the rpms drop. When shifting the HCM applies pressure to the centrifugal mechanism. Disengaging the clutch until the shift is complete. Then the centrifugal mechanism engages the clutch again as the pressure from the HCM is released.

se5 clutch.jpg

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Culpjp View Post
    I was told today by any authority on Spyders that the SE5 for the 2008, and 2009 models doesn't have a clutch. They have a clutch less manual transmission.
    Guess that person isn't much of an "authority" after all.

Maybe you should ask him how a manual transmission manages to change gears WITHOUT a clutch.

Answer: It doesn't.

Maybe he saw that it has a "constant mesh" transmission (like most all motorcycles) and doesn't understand what that means.

Spyder Garage

I was told today by any authority on Spyders that the SE5 for the 2008, and 2009 models doesn't have a clutch. They have a clutch less manual transmission.
    You might want to seek out another 'Authority' as this one is clearly wrong.

Either that our you misunderstood what he was saying.

Simply put, the SM5 has a manual clutch operated by the rider. The SE5 has the same transmission and essentially the same clutch assembly actuated hydraulically by the computer/paddle shifter.

Unless you want to go somewhere with every revolution of the engine you need something that will disengage power transfer from the engine to the rear wheel. In all of it's forms, this would be considered a clutch.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-07-2018 at 08:07 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thanks all.
    I gave the same explanation as BillyBovine gave, as that's what I've been told also. That is why you need to keep the rpms over 4200 as much as possible, as that is the point when the clutch is fully engaged. I even showed the clutch page from the service book, and was told that the BRP service manual is filled with many errors, and can't be used. I left the conversation at that point. The issue is this "expert" was giving new riders advice on proper operation of their Spyder also. This was filled with many errors also. Such as when you shut the Spyder off in 1st gear it shifts to neutral when you shut off. Again I'm pretty sure it stays in 1st then shifts to neutral when you start.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That is why you need to keep the rpms over 4200 as much as possible, as that is the point when the clutch is fully engaged.
    Somehow I doubt that figure too.

I often ride mine for hundreds of miles and seldom go above 4,200.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Somehow I doubt that figure too.

I often ride mine for hundreds of miles and seldom go above 4,200.
    Your 17 RT does not have a centrifugal clutch. Only the v-twin models have this. And on those, the lockup point is 3500.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame