Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by QuadRAGIN View Post
    The conversation I speak of is actually a 2 in the front tilting.
    http://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/
    I should of done that with my goldwing .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ride2GetHigh View Post
    Actually the sound system is great. Can't believe the quality from the speakers even at freeway speed. No issue there. Just let me connect.......
    How can you play the stereo -- ANY stereo -- loud enough to hear over the wind noise and sound of the engine at highway speed? And wind noise and engine sound are already more than enough to cause hearing loss at highway speed. Do you not care about what this is doing to your hearing? Hearing loss is gradual and cumulative and you won't notice it until it's gone, and it's a major problem for motorcyclists. See, e.g.:
    https://www.motorcycle.com/features/...ring-loss.html
    https://www.visordown.com/news/gener...-minutes-62mph

If I'm going any distance at all at 70 mph, I'm wearing custom earplugs (with a full-face helmet). The earplugs cut out almost all the wind noise and I can hear my wife better through our headset. If I wanted to listen to music while riding, I'd pipe it in through the headset. No way I would ever use the external speakers while riding without earplugs at 70 mph. I don't want to be deaf in my old age. Oh, I do use my Spyder's stereo speakers ... when I work on it in the garage!
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    How can you play the stereo -- ANY stereo -- loud enough to hear over the wind noise and sound of the engine at highway speed? And wind noise and engine sound are already more than enough to cause hearing loss at highway speed. Do you not care about what this is doing to your hearing? Hearing loss is gradual and cumulative and you won't notice it until it's gone, and it's a major problem for motorcyclists.
    It's a good point that you make about protecting your ears. But for the most part, I don't find the wind noise and definitely the noise from the engine/pipes all that loud on my RT. I'm finding that I really don't have to crank my stereo much louder at 70 MPH than I do at 20 MPH. Yes, there are circumstances where the wind noise is too much and in those cases I turn off the stereo off. For the most part though, I'm more concerned about my hearing when I ride along with my HD friends that believe the louder their pipes the better.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dmartin View Post
    Or you could do what I did with my 2018 RTL, install a Sirius XM radio. It works great...
    I also am thinking of installing an XM receiver on my 2018 RTL. I have done that in the past with previously owned Gold Wings. The only problem I had was the frequency I chose for the XM modulator would sometimes be over powered by a local FM station on the same frequency, as we were traveling.
    Installation on the RTL looks to be fairly straight forward, with the hardest part being removal of body work for running power and antenna cables. It seems the obvious location for the receiver would be the glove box. I'm not quite sure about the antenna. Probably the top of the rear trunk, although the surface area seams to be at the wrong angle for a 90 degree facing to the satellite. An unused 5 amp accessory fuse is provided in the fuse box.
    I would be very interested in hearing the details of your installation. Please feel free to PM me if you like.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    How can you play the stereo -- ANY stereo -- loud enough to hear over the wind noise and sound of the engine at highway speed? And wind noise and engine sound are already more than enough to cause hearing loss at highway speed. Do you not care about what this is doing to your hearing? Hearing loss is gradual and cumulative and you won't notice it until it's gone, and it's a major problem for motorcyclists. See, e.g.:
    https://www.motorcycle.com/features/...ring-loss.html
    https://www.visordown.com/news/gener...-minutes-62mph

If I'm going any distance at all at 70 mph, I'm wearing custom earplugs (with a full-face helmet). The earplugs cut out almost all the wind noise and I can hear my wife better through our headset. If I wanted to listen to music while riding, I'd pipe it in through the headset. No way I would ever use the external speakers while riding without earplugs at 70 mph. I don't want to be deaf in my old age. Oh, I do use my Spyder's stereo speakers ... when I work on it in the garage!
    What??????

I also use custom ear plugs. $4 at "cheaper than dirt" A 2 part silicon system that you do yourself. They work great and are comfy enough that I don't even know they in my ears. My hearing got blown out in the military--- 50 years ago and 37 years of metal work and only in the last 15 years or so did I understand hearing loss. Don't use them with my wife though

Lew L

PS: John, When is the next book coming out???
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Insyder View Post
    I also am thinking of installing an XM receiver on my 2018 RTL. I have done that in the past with previously owned Gold Wings. The only problem I had was the frequency I chose for the XM modulator would sometimes be over powered by a local FM station on the same frequency, as we were traveling.
    Installation on the RTL looks to be fairly straight forward, with the hardest part being removal of body work for running power and antenna cables. It seems the obvious location for the receiver would be the glove box. I'm not quite sure about the antenna. Probably the top of the rear trunk, although the surface area seams to be at the wrong angle for a 90 degree facing to the satellite. An unused 5 amp accessory fuse is provided in the fuse box.
    I would be very interested in hearing the details of your installation. Please feel free to PM me if you like.
    Because yours is an 18 RTL and my understanding is that the radio isn't like all previous models..... However I have an Album that shows how I mounted the Sirius XM receiver into the glove box ……….

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I pair to my current working phone and get SiriusXM, Waze and Garmin or TomTom and have it mounted to the center of the handlebars. I use an older phone paired to the dash with Sycig GPS, FOBO and Rever. if I need traffic and weather I can set it to use the hotspot on the working phone. I installed a USB outlet in amongst the switches just under the handlebars and use an 8” lightning cable to power phone. I have the older phone mounted on top of the dash and Lamonster’s extension cable. I have Gilt gloves that are either completely fingerless or just the thumb and forefinger are fingerless. So I can touch the phone to control it. For winter I’ll have to learn to stop and change music or just keep riding.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Im happy with the updated system on the 18, just takes time to understand it. I use the auto volume (what it designed for) and with my modular helmet up or down we can still enjoy the music or hockey games. My phones audio works perfect so far I love it how it sinks up automatically. FM is only good locally so I don't know why we bother complaining about it, my 2018 f150 pops in and out of HD radio all the time and it's not a big deal. The spyder rides goes way beyond the FM signals so I just BT the music. If your riding with a low wind screen or none at all, why is it the radios fault?
    Ride with a bunch of Harley's then this even wont be good enough.
    https://youtu.be/9jr4qd0Ie-U

Good beat got me twerking!
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    ^^^^ my radio sucks also ,if the wife holds the antenna the radio is better, but she will not run beside the bike .
    You need to get a "Manuel Antenna System". That sucker can run really fast.
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

The audio system on my 2014 Triumph Trophy is freakin awesome. Set the volume you like before you roll out. It keeps the volume loud enough that you can still hear it at 70mph with no distortion.
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Default XM Radio

Well, I finally installed an XM radio (Onyx Plus) on my 2018 RTL this weekend. Overall I am quite pleased with the results. Installation was straight-forward and required removing some bodywork on the right side. The unit came with an aux. audio cable with male 1/8" stereo plugs on both ends. Since the audio input cable on the Spyder also comes with a male plug, this required a double female barrel connecter to make the connection. Power was sourced from a 5 amp accessory fuse in the right side fuse box. The receiver was located to the glove box, and a 3/8" hole was drilled into the sidewall to allow the cables to enter. Initially the audio was a little low, but the receiver has a menu setting that allows you to increase the drive. With the audio output level set to max, there is plenty of volume, even at highway speeds.

The only downside is, you have to open the glove box lid at a stop to change channels. However, that's probably the safest way to do it anyway.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well, I finally installed an XM radio (Onyx Plus) on my 2018 RTL this weekend. Overall I am quite pleased with the results. Installation was straight-forward and required removing some bodywork on the right side. The unit came with an aux. audio cable with male 1/8" stereo plugs on both ends. Since the audio input cable on the Spyder also comes with a male plug, this required a double female barrel connecter to make the connection. Power was sourced from a 5 amp accessory fuse in the right side fuse box. The receiver was located to the glove box, and a 3/8" hole was drilled into the sidewall to allow the cables to enter. Initially the audio was a little low, but the receiver has a menu setting that allows you to increase the drive. With the audio output level set to max, there is plenty of volume, even at highway speeds.

The only downside is, you have to open the glove box lid at a stop to change channels. However, that's probably the safest way to do it anyway.
    Good on you " Easy Rider " should read your post on this ….. I don't know how your XM in the glove box looks , but you can see mine in one of my Albums ….. Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-04-2018 at 01:12 AM.

Spyder Garage

Maybe I just got lucky w my machine but my wife and I have no problem hearing the speakers, even at speeds above 65mph. When I first bought my 2018 RTL the sound was lower, but after my 3k service its very loud. Hope yours improves after you get the software update.

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Spyder Garage

I had a remote stuck were i could use it ,worked great .This was on my 2005 ST 1300 Honda ,another bike i should of kept.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

I'm crossing posting this link which has a resolution for anyone who is seeking a resolution for their 2018 model Spyder's speaker clipping/crackling sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
    Has anyone specifically only with the '18 model Spyder's (RT or F3's) that utilises the new digital display cluster notice if:
    1) ALL their speakers clip on music's bass points, even while at low volume
    2) the radio signal seems to have a harder time locking onto a station signal or is quite staticky and
    3) volume output has to be turned up nearly 80%+ in order to hear it at speeds above 50mph/80kph?

I compared my '18 F3 LTD radio volume output against a 2017 F3-LTD. On the 2017 I set the volume output (tuned to the same radio station AND using a music streaming device playing the same song) at 30% and then adjusted the 2018 to an equal level output. My Spyder had to be set at 60% to be equal to the 2017. I've tried this also with the 2018 models with my dealer's new floor models against the 2017's and reproduced the same results.

Why would BRP reduce the volume output so significantly for the newly designed 2018 digital display Spyders' where we need to crank the volume output up so high? I've noticed even the bass and mid-range tones in the new models are no where as rich and deep as it was in the former Spyder model year sound systems. BRP has told my dealer they have no intentions of fixing this issue.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter and
    those who matter don't mind.”
    ... Dr. Suess

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

2018 F3 Limited - 10th Anniversary Ed , Trickle charger, Gerbing heated clothing Black/Gold