Spyder Garage

Default Rear fender support failure

So, after getting my GS back, I noticed the rear fender seemed askewed, and wouldn't you know I am a victim of the dreaded support failures that have plaqued many a GS/RS owner. (I never knew of this, but thanks to SLSSI do now!)
    So, I will see if my buddy can weld them for me, but I may just go ahead and shell out the $300 for the BRP Sport Rear Fender kit.
    Thoughts?
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Check with Corbin. They used to have a fender for the 08 GS. I bought one way back when. Price was comparible to BRP.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Check with Corbin. They used to have a fender for the 08 GS. I bought one way back when. Price was comparible to BRP.
    Took a look at the Corbin. But being my supports are toast, the only way that one would work would be to purchase two new supports. Which, I could do, but then I would probably just use the old fender.
    The annoying part is not purchasing the one from BRP, I kinda like it. The part that irks me is that it seems by the posts I have read, that it is a know issue that was rectified with owners whose machines were still under warranty with, for the most part, zero issues.
    Here are some pics of mine which I removed earlier. 20180704_140252.jpg20180704_140257.jpg Right side..

20180704_140303.jpg20180704_140314.jpg Left side.
    Im just glad I didnt have a complete failure at highway speed and possible cause more damage to my GS or someone following me.
    I kinda like this look though! (Glass always half full!!)
    20180704_140355.jpg
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Took a look at the Corbin. But being my supports are toast, the only way that one would work would be to purchase two new supports. Which, I could do, but then I would probably just use the old fender.
    The annoying part is not purchasing the one from BRP, I kinda like it. The part that irks me is that it seems by the posts I have read, that it is a know issue that was rectified with owners whose machines were still under warranty with, for the most part, zero issues.
    Here are some pics of mine which I removed earlier. 20180704_140252.jpg20180704_140257.jpg Right side..

20180704_140303.jpg20180704_140314.jpg Left side.
    Im just glad I didnt have a complete failure at highway speed and possible cause more damage to my GS or someone following me.
    I kinda like this look though! (Glass always half full!!)
    20180704_140355.jpg
    metal look awful thin to weld will need something to thicken or will just brake again
    the sport fender can come from a Kawasaki zx
    IMG_5876.jpg https://m.ebay.com/itm/06-11-KAWASAK...IAAOSw5VtaCy7S
    lil diy & works fine

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...on-Spyder-rs-s
    Last edited by Bfromla; 07-04-2018 at 01:53 PM. Reason: SL LINK

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default And so it goes...

BRP just informed me that I would need to take the Spyder to the dealer for them to begin the process of opening a case. I informed the rep that ryding with the cracked supports and the fender only bolted on one side is not what i would consider safe, and that I had already removed the fender and supports. They replied getting it to the dealer would be the only way to begin the process. Oh, and they told me as far as they are concerned, the GS is still in their system under the previous owner. Enven though I purchased it July 2014. But, that when I go to the dealer, I should bring my title and reciept and that the dealer could change that when he opens a case for the fenders..LOL!
    Maybe I'll just buy the darn Sport Fender!
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

BRP just informed me that I would need to take the Spyder to the dealer for them to begin the process of opening a case. I informed the rep that ryding with the cracked supports and the fender only bolted on one side is not what i would consider safe, and that I had already removed the fender and supports. They replied getting it to the dealer would be the only way to begin the process. Oh, and they told me as far as they are concerned, the GS is still in their system under the previous owner. Enven though I purchased it July 2014. But, that when I go to the dealer, I should bring my title and reciept and that the dealer could change that when he opens a case for the fenders..LOL!
    Maybe I'll just buy the darn Sport Fender!
    You can buy the up dated fender support that has extra support brackets. They would no admit to having a bad design, but in the later years they made a design change that added extra support. I installed this set up on a buddies 08 model after he had 2 sets fail and cracked. So far no problem with the new set up. I am running the sports fender on my 08 model.
    David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    You can buy the up dated fender support that has extra support brackets. They would no admit to having a bad design, but in the later years they made a design change that added extra support. I installed this set up on a buddies 08 model after he had 2 sets fail and cracked. So far no problem with the new set up. I am running the sports fender on my 08 model.
    David
    Do you have the item# for the up-dated support? I would interested if they changed the design.
    Also, how do you like the Sport Fender? Pro/Cons..
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Do you have the item# for the up-dated support? I would interested if they changed the design.
    Also, how do you like the Sport Fender? Pro/Cons..
    You will need number 30,31, 67and 68. Of course the extra bolts for them. I like the fender so so. Doesn't protect as good as the oem fender. I still have all my oem stuff and none of it is broken, but it would be just a matter of time. I like the look of both fenders. Also like the looks of the Kawasaki fender as well. With the added bags the sports fender looks good the way I have it set up. Here is a parts fish to look at the up graded parts.
    David
    http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/...-assembly.html

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!!

You will need number 30,31, 67and 68. Of course the extra bolts for them. I like the fender so so. Doesn't protect as good as the oem fender. I still have all my oem stuff and none of it is broken, but it would be just a matter of time. I like the look of both fenders. Also like the looks of the Kawasaki fender as well. With the added bags the sports fender looks good the way I have it set up. Here is a parts fish to look at the up graded parts.
    David
    http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/...-assembly.html

I guess the choice is personal preference, aesthetics and function. I am a solo rider. My concerns are limited to just what the Sport Fender looks like versus the OEM. But, I really do not want to deal with this issue again in another 15K miles. And I kinda like the Sport Fender look.
    I know you and others mentioned the Kawasaki fender and I wonder how easy the instal is for that.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

I guess the choice is personal preference, aesthetics and function. I am a solo rider. My concerns are limited to just what the Sport Fender looks like versus the OEM. But, I really do not want to deal with this issue again in another 15K miles. And I kinda like the Sport Fender look.
    I know you and others mentioned the Kawasaki fender and I wonder how easy the instal is for that.
    The sports fender is very easy to install. That is one thing I like about it . Makes taking the tire off easy also. Has plug and play on the tail light. It is a led light on it. We have several RS/GS spyders around me and I'm the only one with a sports fender.
    DavidInked100_2947_LI.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Yeah..

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    metal look awful thin to weld will need something to thicken or will just brake again
    the sport fender can come from a Kawasaki zx
    IMG_5876.jpg https://m.ebay.com/itm/06-11-KAWASAK...IAAOSw5VtaCy7S
    lil diy & works fine

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...on-Spyder-rs-s
    I wanted a look at those pics, but it seems they are no longer available. The link to them is bad .
    For now, I just removed the brackets, the fender and the upper belt guard. Taped the leads from the plate/marker light, and then zipped tied my plate and frame to the Givi base that I modded to the rear top plate.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Default THANKS!!

The sports fender is very easy to install. That is one thing I like about it . Makes taking the tire off easy also. Has plug and play on the tail light. It is a led light on it. We have several RS/GS spyders around me and I'm the only one with a sports fender.
    DavidInked100_2947_LI.jpg
    Thanks man!! I like all those things you mentioned. I am sure I will be one of the few in my neck of the woods. I like the plug and play, the look. The only thing is the $$$$. It's not a deal breaker, but I had hoped the rep from BRP would have hooked me up with like a 10-30% discount, or, that I could have located one for a cheaper price.
    For now, if I want to ride, I can. I zipped tied the plate to my Givi base that I attached to the rear top plate and just removed all the other stuff, except the lower belt guard, which I may.
    Thanks again for the replies and pics and Happy Independence Day!
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

I went with the Kawasaki ZX14 (or Concours) route because if you think the sports fender is expensive in the USthen triple the cost and that's what it is here.

The ZX14 and the Concours use the same rear fender, the only difference is that one (the ZX I think) comes with some small metal brackets at the side that are ideal for mounting led indicators if you want to ditch the BRP ones like I have.

Also, if you do go down this route make sure you only order the last part i.e. the tail/plate mount. Kawasaki sell it either as a full fender kit or just this part so you don't want to pay for stuff you don't need.

Here's what it looks like on my RS, I mounted mine slightly further back that some other owners. I also found the number plate was at quite a shallow angle so made up a bracket to have it a little more upright.

fender3.jpgfender2.jpg
    Last edited by PistonBlown; 07-04-2018 at 11:27 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks man!! I like all those things you mentioned. I am sure I will be one of the few in my neck of the woods. I like the plug and play, the look. The only thing is the $$$$. It's not a deal breaker, but I had hoped the rep from BRP would have hooked me up with like a 10-30% discount, or, that I could have located one for a cheaper price.
    For now, if I want to ride, I can. I zipped tied the plate to my Givi base that I attached to the rear top plate and just removed all the other stuff, except the lower belt guard, which I may.
    Thanks again for the replies and pics and Happy Independence Day!
    I bought mine off ebay. Here is a link
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Can-Am...ha~kOg&vxp=mtr
    David

Spyder Garage

Default THANKS!!

I bought mine off ebay. Here is a link
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Can-Am...ha~kOg&vxp=mtr
    David
    Yep! Thats the same one I found. I am currently waiting to hear back from BRP. Taking the 70 miles run to my dealer to start a process, that most likely will end with BRP denying any claim, to me is pointless. I was emailed that option, as well as the offer to submit proof of ownership so that BRP could "update my Spyder" in their system. Which is kinda odd to me being my GS has been to, now, two different shops, had updates performed and has been imimy ownership since 2014. But, it's all good. I like the BRP Sports Fender and now I'm just waiting to see if they hook me up with a discount. Which I highly doubt..lol

Thanks for the info/link. This is why I love SL!!!!!
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Default Went with the Sport Rear Fender

So I bit the bullet. Instal was easy enough although due to my TBI, I am sure others could have done it faster. I like the overall look and the fitment was good. I took a short run and nothing fell off..lol!
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

So you decided on the BRP sport fender then?

Spyder Garage

Default Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by Culpjp View Post
    So you decided on the BRP sport fender then?
    20180717_130825.jpg
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default What about the belt guards?

So I bit the bullet. Instal was easy enough although due to my TBI, I am sure others could have done it faster. I like the overall look and the fitment was good. I took a short run and nothing fell off..lol!
    What did you do about the belt guards? Did you just leave them off or is there another guard you can buy that works with the sport fender? My wife's '09 Spyder GS has some significant cracking occurring at the fender supports. The Sport Fender makes the most sense as far as replacements go. Just trying to find out what folks do regarding belt guards when going this route on the GS. Leave them off or is there another solution?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aceboy74 View Post
    What did you do about the belt guards? Did you just leave them off or is there another guard you can buy that works with the sport fender? My wife's '09 Spyder GS has some significant cracking occurring at the fender supports. The Sport Fender makes the most sense as far as replacements go. Just trying to find out what folks do regarding belt guards when going this route on the GS. Leave them off or is there another solution?
    The sports fender comes with to pieces to install on the left and right sides. One covers the belt on the top of the drive side and the other over you brakes on the right side.
    David