Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Plain F3 or F3S??

Hello, looking for some opinions about the differences between a plain F3 and a F3S. I am planning to buy a Spyder again. I had a 2015 F3S before and sold it last year. I am trying to get into riding again but cannot decide if spending the additional money on a F3 S is woth it. My local dealer has decent prices on both models as 2017 and I know there are some small cosmetic diiferences like the front wheels, front fenders but according to specs the plain F3 has a bit less power and the front shocks are different, not mentioning also the lack of cruise control.
    Besides the fenders and wheels, does anyone know if the horsepower difference or the front shocks performance is noticeable for cruising around town or taking country back roads on weekends? Definitely not looking to take it on a track.
    Thanks

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Personally I like the F3-T. The extra storage is welcome, the stereo is adequate and cruise is essential. I find the lines of the body to be sleek and attractive. If you have no frequent passenger it's ideal.

to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

The 2017 base model in addition to lower HP also comes with the smaller rear pulley. There is a significant and noticeable performance difference between the F3 and F3S for 2017 and 18. 15 and 16 models the performance was the same between them.

There are a few other differences as well. Cruise control that you mentioned. Some trim and color options and the forward rails next to the instrument cluster are plastic on the base model rather that metal and have to be changed out to mount a BRP windshield. Some years the base model is missing the transmission side cover. The front shocks are different but neither are great. They have the same lack luster rear spring/shock.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Upline is usually preferable to the base model--if you want some of the "must have" stuff. Usually you get "package" accessories that are less than if purchased separately. All companies make their extra money by selling you "add ons." By the item is much better for them as compared to a package.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I added the Blue Ridge windshield to my 2017 base model at time of purchase.
    There was no change to the forward rails to mount the shield. They are metal.
    I chose the base for two reasons, one being price.
    The second being less "stuff" to go wrong. No air pump to fail, no airbag to leak, no radio or other electronic gizmos to fail.
    I see very few problems mentioned here with the base model. Admittedly, there are much fewer of them but I think a lot of the issues folks have is because of all the electronic complexity on the upper level models.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    Personally I like the F3-T. The extra storage is welcome, the stereo is adequate and cruise is essential. I find the lines of the body to be sleek and attractive. If you have no frequent passenger it's ideal.

, I went with an F3T for the reasons stated above. But if I was to choose only between the F3 and F3S, I would probably go with the F3 and just have cruise control added. That is a must for me. Good luck shopping.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    The second being less "stuff" to go wrong. No air pump to fail, no airbag to leak, no radio or other electronic gizmos to fail.
    I see very few problems mentioned here with the base model. Admittedly, there are much fewer of them but I think a lot of the issues folks have is because of all the electronic complexity on the upper level models.
    No air pump on the F3S
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SASR View Post
    Hello, looking for some opinions about the differences between a plain F3 and a F3S. I am planning to buy a Spyder again. I had a 2015 F3S before and sold it last year. I am trying to get into riding again but cannot decide if spending the additional money on a F3 S is woth it. My local dealer has decent prices on both models as 2017 and I know there are some small cosmetic diiferences like the front wheels, front fenders but according to specs the plain F3 has a bit less power and the front shocks are different, not mentioning also the lack of cruise control.
    Besides the fenders and wheels, does anyone know if the horsepower difference or the front shocks performance is noticeable for cruising around town or taking country back roads on weekends? Definitely not looking to take it on a track.
    Thanks
    There is a new model coming out this fall, an under $10K Spyder. For the occasional ride it might be perfect.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Sounds like the dumped the plastic side rails in the later base models. i always thought it was a dumb way to try and save a few $$.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    There is a new model coming out this fall, an under $10K Spyder. For the occasional ride it might be perfect.
    I must say, I am anxiously waiting to see if this is going to really happen, and what it might look like.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Sounds like the dumped the plastic side rails in the later base models. i always thought it was a dumb way to try and save a few $$.
    I have a 2015 Base Model, and no plastic side rails on mine when I mounted my Blueridge Screen.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders.
    Current Spyder, 2015 F3 Steel Black, Passenger Backrest, Blue Ridge Screen with Xcreen Extention, Akrapovic Muffler, Attitude Handlebars, Blades front rims, RT Swaybar,
    Her Spyder 2011 Magnesium RSS Sportrack and Backrest, Comfort Seat, Grip Puppies, 3.5 inch Riser Bars, Wespyd Signature Swaybar. Hindle Muffler, Godiva Screen, Hiway Pegs Can Am Panniers

Previous Spyders
    2013 ST SM5
    2011 RSS
    2010 RS
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since it's your money: you get to make the call!
    But if it were my money: I'd want the "S"!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    I have a 2015 Base Model, and no plastic side rails on mine when I mounted my Blueridge Screen.

Are you sure yours are metal? I have had to replace 3 sets on 2015 and 16 base model F3, one of them my own.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

There are also color differences. Thats why I started with a base model and added. I wanted the gloss black frame, not matte and the silver metallic side castings and rear wheel to go with the planned blue paint. None of that was available on the S trim level. Adding cruise and the other bobbles was not hard, easier than changing out frame parts to be sure.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Thanks and I agree that is why I am choosing between F3 and F3S, which I think the only electronic difference is thecruise control.

Spyder Garage

Where did you see that information? I have not seen anything on the BRP site and if I remember correctly, new models are released in late August.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I think I will go for the S soon. Thanks

Spyder Garage

No air pump on the F3S
    What is the air pump for??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    , I went with an F3T for the reasons stated above. But if I was to choose only between the F3 and F3S, I would probably go with the F3 and just have cruise control added. That is a must for me. Good luck shopping.
    …. and totally … from another more than happy F3-T brother!

Spyder Garage

What is the air pump for??
    If its the same as my 2017 F3-T … its found under the pillion seat and used to adjust the rear shock ride height for various loads … fat - fatter or Ouch that hirts!

Spyder Garage

Thanks and I agree that is why I am choosing between F3 and F3S, which I think the only electronic difference is thecruise control.
    The F3S has Sport Mode too. This was added in the 2017+ models.
    Marilyn 2015 RTS SE6 Red
    John 2015 F3S SE6 Silver

previous:
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nhoj View Post
    The F3S has Sport Mode too. This was added in the 2017+ models.
    You are right, totally forgot about that.

Spyder Garage

Default F3s

I'd go with the F3S rather than the base model. I've got a 2015 F-3 and the power level i about right. I'm going to add cruise control soon since my hand gets tired on long freeway runs. But my bike looks nothing like a F-3 anymore. I was taking the Arizona Trike Course last week and the dealer where the classroom was had a F-3S on the floor and I was shocked to see just how much I've added to my bike since I bought it. The standard F-3S look naked by comparison. If you are going to add a windshield, don't waste your money on a factory one, the aftermarket ones are better and cheaper and not too hard to install. I had a Blueridge and it dumped the slipstream right on my chest at freeway speed.

Spyder Garage

Default F3 Base model

I also have the F3 Base model, 2015. Bought it for the same reasons. Upgraded the shock, Xcreen on the Blueridge windhield, LED lights that blink on the fenders and some other small stuff. I read somewhere that new models are coming out with shaft drive. That will devalue all of the ones that are belt driven. And an under $10,000 model? That would be tempting. Can Am must have finally realized to get more Spyders on the road, they have to make them more affordable. Not everyone has, or wants to spend, $30,000 on a motorcycle.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

My vote is for the F3S.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3