Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sena dilemma

Spyder Garage

Default Sena dilemma

My son got me a Sena 5 series (can't remember exact model) for Father’s Day. Anyway the range is really limited in the Hills and cuts out on the curves as soon as he disappears from sight or if someone gets in between us. We are thinking of trading it back in for a 10 or 20 series. I see the 10 has a 300 meter range and the 20 is 1.2 miles, but will they be better in the Hills on the curves and in traffic? Is the 20 series worth the extra money? It would be nice to talk to several people at once, but how well does it work?
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Sena......

Contact Motorcycle Dave (he's a vender on this site) and he'll tell you (truthfully) anything you'd like to know about Sena products. He'll also give you the best price on Sena that you can find.

Spyder Garage

Default +1 on Motorcycle Dave, but...

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Contact Motorcycle Dave (he's a vender on this site) and he'll tell you (truthfully) anything you'd like to know about Sena products. He'll also give you the best price on Sena that you can find.
    ...fair warning that it may be tough to find a plain 20S model; I got mine on closeout a few months back and Dave had already sold through his. The 20S EVO is still available at a higher price.

I've been happy with the 20S -- we're riding 2-up with it all the time so are not testing the range much, but feature-wise and performance-wise, it's been solid. I had a problem with random cut-outs/intercom shut-downs for awhile, but discovered that (at least in my pair's case) doing the initial power-up in a set sequence made the problem go away.
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

All the comm devices I have investigated (Cardo, Sena. no name, etc.) are all line of sight. The Sena 5 has a straight line comm distance of about 1/2 mile. I have the Cardo Packtalk with a comm distance of about a mile, however hills and curves cut that down to zero. Unless you are using satellite communications you will lose comm due to terrain with any device. Although even satellite comm is lost which is evidenced by loss of GPS signal or XM radio at times.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We had the SMH-10's and the 20S was much better range wise. We ride separate bikes and like them a lot. Of course line of sight gives the best reception.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

We have the SENA 30 and love it. Pairs much easier and the battery really lasts. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Default Line of Sight

I have used the Cardo's several models, with my last bike, ST1100, none work other than line of sight. Rocks, hills, curves all stop reception. I don't think you will find a communicator that will work other that a CB.
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

NOTE: I sell the 20S EVO for the same price as the older 20S units.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by bhern View Post
    ...fair warning that it may be tough to find a plain 20S model; I got mine on closeout a few months back and Dave had already sold through his. The 20S EVO is still available at a higher price.

I've been happy with the 20S -- we're riding 2-up with it all the time so are not testing the range much, but feature-wise and performance-wise, it's been solid. I had a problem with random cut-outs/intercom shut-downs for awhile, but discovered that (at least in my pair's case) doing the initial power-up in a set sequence made the problem go away.

Spyder Garage

We are back to using the older Sena--it is a SMH10. Prefer it to our two year old N-Comm Units (Nolan).

Range is pretty much line of site. At three blocks separation the noise begins. Alaska is always a problem with the mountains, hills, curves, etc. It is sufficient for US though. We can still communicate bike to bike, and most of the time she is between two to five seconds back.

Battery will last us two days without recharging. Four to five hours of use each time.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-04-2018 at 06:02 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Our group of 6 people have the 20s. It's fine for 2 people up to maybe 1/2 mile if lucky and a straight line. Get out of sight it will cut out. If you have 3 or more com's connected you with get popcorn popping noise or static. We have done every thing possible to correct the problem including updates and getting replacements. Having said that. If you only use 2 they are good.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Dave, I have a question.........

Been looking for an original non-updated 20s. They're getting hard to come by. If I find one that has been updated can I clear all the updates by doing the factory reset? Enquiring minds would like to know.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    Our group of 6 people have the 20s. It's fine for 2 people up to maybe 1/2 mile if lucky and a straight line. Get out of sight it will cut out. If you have 3 or more com's connected you with get popcorn popping noise or static. We have done every thing possible to correct the problem including updates and getting replacements. Having said that. If you only use 2 they are good.
    We have had the same experience. Although we have had up to 4 people connected. The quality of the reception goes way down after 2 people. But they are GREAT for me and my wife. They do everything we need them too and more. It isn't often we group ride with people who have head sets.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Default YES

I am told by the Tech dept that will return it to the factory settings.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Been looking for an original non-updated 20s. They're getting hard to come by. If I find one that has been updated can I clear all the updates by doing the factory reset? Enquiring minds would like to know.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    I am told by the Tech dept that will return it to the factory settings.
    Dave
    Interesting. I wouldn’t have thought a reset would undo firmware updates if that is what is being referred to as the factory settings as opposed to just clearing out any user preferences etc that have been done.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I will check again Monday just to be sure....

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    Interesting. I wouldn’t have thought a reset would undo firmware updates if that is what is being referred to as the factory settings as opposed to just clearing out any user preferences etc that have been done.

Spyder Garage

Default S 20

Left speakers usually do not work

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default That could be the fix for......

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    I will check again Monday just to be sure....
    Way too many update problems. That would be great if the reset would return them to their original condition.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kbwitt View Post
    Left speakers usually do not work
    Is that with the update or the reset?

Spyder Garage

Default Sena dilemma

Factory default reset, DOES NOT reset the firmware upgrade, just the user preferences and any radio stations you have put in. You can download whatever firmware number you want to try.
    As others have said, they pretty much only work if in line of site. A number of times you will easily lose communication if you get behind a semi or big truck. They are great for two up or two riders, but after that, good luck with not having any issues. Lots of documentation of the same issues on the web for the 20S.
    Our group bought our six units because we wanted an untethered cord setup. We previously had bluetooth / radio frequency Collett units that worked excellent but we all had to be hooked to a seperate battery pack.
    As JP58 stated, we have numerous hours with reps, dealers, and had replacements to no avail for any help fixing the group of 3 or more communications problems. safe riding
    Baja Ron sway bar, Spyder Dock, Highway Brackets,Trident pegs, Spyder Decals, Signal Mirror led strips, Utopia backrest, 5 pc. Hopnel liner set, cargo nets side/rear doors. Mesh bag front trunk, foam grips, spare trunk key, passenger armrests/storage pouch's, ram mounts/GPS, Drink holder,Phone, Passenger clamp-on drink holder, rear trunk tap light, custom plate frame, spyder fastener bolts, adjustable lower mirror wind deflectors, F4 Customs windshield -wide,tall,clear,vent,Chrome Spyder grill.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Stopped doing updates on our SMH-10 as they were causing more issues then resolutions. They work, so I leave them be. We only ride two up, so cannot comment on range, but have had them for 5 yrs and have worked fine.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I know this is ornery, but I can't resist! Old fashioned CB just doesn't cut it any more, does it? Let's tick off some of the things it's always been able to do.

Range is easily 1/2 mile, and with good equipment, up to 2 miles or more. This is over hills and around curves! And BT can do what?

No connectivity needed. Turn it on, tune to the same channels as others, and start talking! BT requires you to do what?

No limit on users. As many as you can fit on bikes in the total range of communication. BT connects how many?

Everyone can hear what you broadcast! How many other BT listeners can you talk to at the same time?

Oh, there is one big drawback to CB. It's not hip! But it works!

All through history there has been one axiom that has never been disproven! Newer is not always better!!!!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I know this is ornery, but I can't resist! Old fashioned CB just doesn't cut it any more, does it? Let's tick off some of the things it's always been able to do.

Range is easily 1/2 mile, and with good equipment, up to 2 miles or more. This is over hills and around curves! And BT can do what?

No connectivity needed. Turn it on, tune to the same channels as others, and start talking! BT requires you to do what?

No limit on users. As many as you can fit on bikes in the total range of communication. BT connects how many?

Everyone can hear what you broadcast! How many other BT listeners can you talk to at the same time?

Oh, there is one big drawback to CB. It's not hip! But it works!

All through history there has been one axiom that has never been disproven! Newer is not always better!!!!
    The problem I have with the CB is Can Am charges over $800 for it, and from everything I have read about it on this site, it is not a quality item in the least.
    I agree with you on the range and flexibility, but man does the price they charge need to come down. I would purchase it today if it was a $200 item and it had good reviews.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

We have the Sena 20s and love them. If you go around curves and there is some distance between you, it might cut out for a few seconds but then picks right back up. Have never had trouble with it in traffic even when cars get between us.
    2016 F3 Limited
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Spyderpops lighted bumpskid
    Lamonster LED headlights

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”

-Maria Robinson

Spyder Garage

The S20 if you go around a curve and the other party is out of sight even at 100 feet you will loose the party works pretty good up to 1/2 mile on a straight away

Spyder Garage

We ended up going with the SMH 10. upgraded from the SMH5. Couldn't see spending the extra $ for the 20's with the issues some are having. We usually don't get that far apart anyway. thanks to all for the input!
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey