Spyder Garage

Default Anyone switched from RTS to F3L? Was it a mistake?

I have a 6 months old RTS. I think I made a mistake when I purchased. At the time, I thought that was what i wanted but now I keep eyeing the F3L. I contacted several dealers who prett much gave me the same deal but I am also afraid of making a mistake. Has anyone switched from RT to F3 and realized they made a mistake?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Floridian2017 View Post
    I have a 6 months old RTS. I think I made a mistake when I purchased. At the time, I thought that was what i wanted but now I keep eyeing the F3L. I contacted several dealers who prett much gave me the same deal but I am also afraid of making a mistake. Has anyone switched from RT to F3 and realized they made a mistake?

My last Spyder I had back in 2014 was a RT, but then when I got my next Spyder it was a F3T in 2017 (2016 F3T). Did a demo alone on the F3, sat on both the RT and the F3 with my wife, and have to admit that I really like the F3T when ryding solo, but wish I had the RT when two-up. In hind sight I think I would have been better off with the RT, will be years until I'm going to get another Spyder, so making the best of it. Too bad mine is not a limited, then we could trade Spyders
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

What part is catching your eye? you can add the options if there is just one thing that stands out.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    What part is catching your eye? you can add the options if there is just one thing that stands out.
    I enjoyed the sportier side of the F3. I can't picture the RT being fun looking.

Spyder Garage

Default On the fence

It sounds like you are still on the fence.

i would wait a while if I were you and test drive the F3 for a few miles. I own both - like the F3 for solo and RT for 2 up. I suppose there are improvements to the 2018 that may make a difference but I can’t speak on that with the models I have.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Around South Florida you do see a mix of both RT series and F3 series.

In simple terms, the RT is kind of Can Ams Gold Wing Tour. Not truly a sport machine, but rather more touring fucused. The Spyder RT is not a racer, but certainly is no slacker either.

The F3T or Limited is more the more sporty touring bike, in some ways similar to the RT series, and compares to a Honda Gold Wing F6B. Again, not a racer, but a machine that is more focused for the rider and less for a passenger. Some people prefer that arms forward, feet forward position compared to the RT series more upright less stretched out position.

In terms of how the bikes are equipped with features, in general, they are very similar. The looks and seating position are the big differences.

Myself, I never came to terms with the looks of the F3 front bodywork. Also, we often ride two up, and for the passenger, our RT with arm rests is very confidence inspiring and relaxing to ride.

Everyone is different, for me, if I rode solo all the time, I would be on two wheels, simply what I prefer. We own the Spyder more for my wife, than me, using the RT series better passenger comfort as the number one priority.

The F3 was not available when we purchased our 14 RTS. However the ST series was, and with similar passenger seating as an F3, that falling off the back feeling was a deal breaker except for an RT.

Again, everyone is different.

Not sure which dealer you purchased from and shopping for an F3 at. I would suggest maybe seeing if someone local would let you do a parking lot test ride of their personal bike, just to get an idea. Also, call around, possibly another larger Spyder dealer like CFPS has a demo F3 you could ride or maybe visit them and have a loaner F3 while they do some maintenance on your RT. That would certainly help you decide.

Spyder Garage

I am in the fence because I don't want to make a mistake. My wife has the F3L and I love riding hers but I also love riding mine. I only drive 2 up when taking my daughter to school which I also could do on the F3L. Majority of my ridings are solo. I guess I am looking for an advice from someone who made the switch and realized they made a mistake but so far everybody loves it.

Spyder Garage

I am in the fence because I don't want to make a mistake. My wife has the F3L and I love riding hers but I also love riding mine. I only drive 2 up when taking my daughter to school which I also could do on the F3L. Majority of my ridings are solo. I guess I am looking for an advice from someone who made the switch and realized they made a mistake but so far everybody loves it.
    You have ridden both and have no need for riding 2 up any real distances. Buy the F3 you like and don't look back.

Spyder Garage

I just move to an 2018 F3L. Previous was 2015 RTS. I was never really comforable on the RT even with seat upgrade and Tri-axes bars. My legs always felt cramped and always felt like I was leaning forward having to push myself back against my backrest. I've always had cruiser bikes. My wife rides occasionally. So am looking into Spyder pops trunk extender. For me the F3 is a better choice.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    I just move to an 2018 F3L. Previous was 2015 RTS. I was never really comforable on the RT even with seat upgrade and Tri-axes bars. My legs always felt cramped and always felt like I was leaning forward having to push myself back against my backrest. I've always had cruiser bikes. My wife rides occasionally. So am looking into Spyder pops trunk extender. For me the F3 is a better choice.

I have the seat extender from Spyderpops and it is GREAT

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default If you really like the adjustable screen on the RT

... Keep it!

I test rode both before I bought my F3L. I like the ride of the F3 better but I would have liked the adjustable screen of the RT. That said, I decided I would buy a Spyder one minute into my first test ride with the RT. So I could have bought that one and enjoy it if I had not tried the F3. So, if you don't look at the neighbor's greener grass, you will enjoy and be tempted to keep yours.

Good luck
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark