Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default oem sway bar links

i'm replacing these with baja rons aluminum links. something looks wrong in these pics. like the wrong swaybar was installed or something. surely these links don't mount all twisted like this.IMG_8447.jpgIMG_8448.jpgIMG_8449.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That is in fact how they mount.

Spyder Garage

Default Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    i'm replacing these with baja rons aluminum links. something looks wrong in these pics. like the wrong swaybar was installed or something. surely these links don't mount all twisted like this.IMG_8447.jpgIMG_8448.jpgIMG_8449.jpg
    Suddenly, the improvement wrought by the Baja Ron anti-sway bar + Heim links makes a lot of sense to even this mechanical moron.

Thanks for those pictures.
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are ball type joints on both ends so they don't have to sit in any particular position. BRP uses these same links to mount the sway bars on their sleds. I've never broke one on a sled or Spyder and I can guarantee to you they have seen plenty of abuse on the sled.

Spyder Garage

Not 'Twisted', just articulated. This is what they are designed to do (OEM or mine). The ones in your pictures are fine.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Not 'Twisted', just articulated. This is what they are designed to do (OEM or mine). The ones in your pictures are fine.
    Articulated - great word and very descriptive.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    Articulated - great word and very descriptive.
    I pull one out of my hat from time to time. Luck beats skill every time!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

The original links on my 2013 RT Ltd DID get all twisted!! :shocked: The nylex or nulon or whatever material making up the 'dogbone' must've been defective or something, as both links seemed to be made of soft material & instead of rigidly holding the ends of the newly fitted BajaRon Anti-sway Bar a fixed distance from the frame, they twisted & flexed during use, eventually tearing one almost completely thru & starting to tear the other!! At one stage, the heim-joint jobbies on one link were at 90 degrees to each other while the suspension was under compression, but if I lifted the Spyder on the jack as the suspension unloaded the 'dogbone' material literally twisted like a screw being backed out of a hole until at full droop the heim-joints were at 90 degrees in the opposite direction - the material was that malleable! Altho not much later it became obvious that particular link was just disintegrating & tearing from the middle out!! :yikes:

No wonder the handling was pretty atrocious at the time!! By the time the (now defunct) local dealer called to say replacement links had arrived (about 3 weeks later) that link was effectively just the 2 ends barely attached by a thin & fragile piece of twisted taffy, & the other side was starting to do the flex & twist thing with the beginnings of a tear obvious in the middle. The OE Replacements were easy enough to fit, but the thorough inspection after their very first run revealed one of them starting to flex & tear in the middle already, so BajaRon Heim joints were on their way shortly thereafter, arriving in less than half the time, and I've had NO link issues since, plus the handling is light years ahead of what it was before the BajaRon Bar & Heim Links went on! :thumbup:
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-03-2018 at 11:17 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    The original links on my 2013 RT Ltd DID get all twisted!! The nylex or nulon or whatever material making up the 'dogbone' must've been defective or something, as both links seemed to be made of soft material & instead of rigidly holding the ends of the newly fitted BajaRon Anti-sway Bar a fixed distance from the frame, they twisted & flexed during use, eventually tearing one almost completely thru & starting to tear the other!! At one stage, the heim-joint jobbies on one link were at 90 degrees to each other while the suspension was under compression, but if I lifted the Spyder on the jack as the suspension unloaded the 'dogbone' material literally twisted like a screw being backed out of a hole until at full droop the heim-joints were at 90 degrees in the opposite direction - the material was that malleable! Altho not much later it became obvious that particular link was just disintegrating & tearing from the middle out!!

No wonder the handling was pretty atrocious at the time!! By the time the (now defunct) local dealer called to say replacement links had arrived (about 3 weeks later) that link was effectively just the 2 ends barely attached by a thin & fragile piece of twisted taffy, & the other side was starting to do the flex & twist thing with the beginnings of a tear obvious in the middle. The OE Replacements were easy enough to fit, but the thorough inspection after their very first run revealed one of them starting to flex & tear in the middle already, so BajaRon Heim joints were on their way shortly thereafter, arriving in less than half the time, and I've had NO link issues since, plus the handling is light years ahead of what it was before the BajaRon Bar & Heim Links went on!
    yeah, mine are not even flat. they are bowed concave, or convex depending on how one looks at it. also the upper bushings on both are wore out moving up and down in the link. got a hunch this thing will handle a whole lot better when I install the new aluminum links. I got a pair from Ron on the way. thanks for the info folks. exit stage right.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

IMG_8451.JPGIMG_8452.JPG

looks a little better I think. should work a whole lot better to.