Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: limp mode again

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default limp mode again

cruising along at 65mph, cruise control set. coming into a construction zone, went to slow to 55mph and bang, LIMP MODE AGAIN! was like I had laid on the brakes. car behind us near ran into me. VSS, check DPS, check engine e.t.c. this thing has went into limp mode on me twice this year. I don't care what anyone says, that is a good way to get someone killed and the idiot engineer who designed the system needs a beat down. my battery connections are all good. charges at 13.9 volts according to the gauge. next time I ride this bike will be to trade it in.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    cruising along at 65mph, cruise control set. coming into a construction zone, went to slow to 55mph and bang, LIMP MODE AGAIN! was like I had laid on the brakes. car behind us near ran into me. VSS, check DPS, check engine e.t.c. this thing has went into limp mode on me twice this year. I don't care what anyone says, that is a good way to get someone killed and the idiot engineer who designed the system needs a beat down. my battery connections are all good. charges at 13.9 volts according to the gauge. next time I ride this bike will be to trade it in.

Did you check for the active xodes?

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

yep sure did, no codes shown.

Spyder Garage

yep sure did, no codes shown.

That certainly is unusual. Limp Mode is invoked when something goes wrong and the error code is placed on the bus.
    Given what happened you might check your brake fluid level.

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

first time it happened was about 6 weeks ago or so. got hit with a hard crosswind. no codes that time either.

Spyder Garage

first time it happened was about 6 weeks ago or so. got hit with a hard crosswind. no codes that time either.
    Okay, I have to ask.
    Did you check for codes while it was in limp mode (not after the Spyder was turned off)

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=spyderCodes;1373800]Okay, I have to ask.
    Did you check for codes while it was in limp mode (not after the Spyder was turned off)[/QUOTE

yep

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderCodes View Post
    That certainly is unusual. Limp Mode is invoked when something goes wrong and the error code is placed on the bus.
    Given what happened you might check your brake fluid level.
    checked the brake fluid. added 3 cap fulls to the rear reservoir.

Spyder Garage

The codes are stored in the ECU, but you will need BUDS to retrieve them. Would strongly suggest you get this looked at rather than ignoring it.

Trust me, there are codes in your cars that if set will drastically reduce power if they set as well. This is SOP on all modern computer controlled vehicles to protect the hardware and safety.

Yes, I understand its frustrating but you need to get it fixed, not ignore it and hope it goes away like you did the first time it happened.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Trip to dealer ? Good luck with the fix.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is scary stuff happening, very uncomfortable feeling.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    The codes are stored in the ECU, but you will need BUDS to retrieve them. Would strongly suggest you get this looked at rather than ignoring it.

Trust me, there are codes in your cars that if set will drastically reduce power if they set as well. This is SOP on all modern computer controlled vehicles to protect the hardware and safety.

Yes, I understand its frustrating but you need to get it fixed, not ignore it and hope it goes away like you did the first time it happened.
    I expect you are correct. I would take it in if there were a competent shop in the area. there's not so I won't. i'd be ahead to just go ahead and buy buds with a one yr license and check it myself. the first time the bike went into limp mode the crosswind put me off on the berm so the vehicle lost traction and i'm sure the left side of the front end came up a little bit. yesterday, I tapped the brake at 65 mph to kick off of cruise control and the bike went into limp mode.

Spyder Garage

Default Scary stuff

This is scary and unsafe to say the least.
    I know that many people have put many trouble free miles on their spyders. Unfortunately I'm not one of the and neither are you.
    I got rid of our 2011 Spyder RT SE5 due to mechanical issues and just bought a 2014 RT SE6 in a private sale.
    Here is a link to my wonderful journey which is really really disheartening. I can't even trade mine in on anything until it's fixed. Once it's fixed, I'm not sure how confident I'll be on it.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...w-to-us-Spyder

The best of luck with yours
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you hit a pothole when in the construction zone when this happened?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Did you hit a pothole when in the construction zone when this happened?
    nope, no pothole. which is amazing for the state of west virginia!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know mine turns off the Cruise control when a deep pothole makes the wheel come off the ground. Then the bike slows way down fast.

Spyder Garage

Default Limp

I know it's a pretty good drive, but I hear the dealer in Hanover, Pa is pretty good.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Your brake fluid was low as you stated. that is way it went in to limp mode when your speed dropped.
    Your rear brake pads might need to be replaced.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

Any chance that you had your foot inadvertently resting on the brake? This will definitely cause the bike to kick into limp mode.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

When was the last time your Spyder was put on BUDS? It was my understanding that Limp Mode was changed (reprogrammed) on 11 and newer models so that it no longer slammed on the brakes. It will limit you to 5000 rpm but you can maintain speed by upshifting at low rpm.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    When was the last time your Spyder was put on BUDS? It was my understanding that Limp Mode was changed (reprogrammed) on 11 and newer models so that it no longer slammed on the brakes. It will limit you to 5000 rpm but you can maintain speed by upshifting at low rpm.
    not since I've owned the bike. I bought it used back in November 2015 with 3,000 miles on it. still only at 16,000 miles right now. anywho, when the crosswind caught me I still had throttle up to 5500 rpm I believe it was. this time nothing, no throttle response at all. when I tried to throttle, it just bucked. when I was able to get off onto the berm, checked for codes, showed none, shut it down, started back up fine and rode home about 70 miles or so.

Spyder Garage

Check your battery leads.... the ones down in on tha battery posts. My wife’s did this a couple years ago. Dealer told me to check leads at tetminal because those systems need so much power. It worked for me . They were loose..
    Live to Ryde my Spyder!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have the plastic off including the frunk right now checking grounds and other connections. did find both swaybar links wore out. previous owner had Rons swaybar installed right after she bought it but didn't swap out the links. been hearing an occasional popping from the front suspension and figured it was the links but didn't think they were as bad as they are. i know they are not the cause of the issue i had but they do need replacing.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by samewok View Post
    Your brake fluid was low as you stated. that is way it went in to limp mode when your speed dropped.
    Your rear brake pads might need to be replaced.
    Pads are all in good shape.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by polygonguy View Post
    Check your battery leads.... the ones down in on tha battery posts. My wife’s did this a couple years ago. Dealer told me to check leads at tetminal because those systems need so much power. It worked for me . They were loose..
    terminal connections are all clean and tight with alligator washers installed.