Thread: Shocks

Spyder Garage

Default Shocks

Hello, I have a 2014 RT with Baja Ron and laser alignment. I am considering upgrading the shocks. I know there are Elkas and Fox. Which one of these would give the best value for the money? Please share your experiences on the handling improvement. Thank you!

Spyder Garage

We installed the Fox shocks on our 2014 RT about three years ago and they have been excellent. Since then, we have had zero issues with them and the ride is superb. Like you we put the BajaRon bar on first and it was a dramatic improvement (particularly for two up riding). However, I still felt the bike lacked some desired handling. The addition of the Fox shocks delivered what I was looking for and I would purchase them again. Elka also makes a fine product but I have no experience with them. I am sure others will comment.

Spyder Garage

Default I installed Elka

I installed Elkas on the front of my RT at Spyderfest in May. I was immediately pleased with my decision. I have much less bounce in the frontend, particularly on rougher blacktop roads. However, I also noticed a difference on smooth cement. The bike seems to take everything better. I only did the front as I didn't want to spend the additional dollars for the rear and the Elka rep suggested that the improvement on the rear would be less significant.

Good luck.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

I put Elka's on mine upon the highest recommendation of the experts at Pit Bull. The ride and handling was dramatically better. However, the seals blew way early, in a little over a year of service. I had it done by a local suspension shop rather than the one and only Elka service center in the US. Doing it that way did save some money and allowed me to find out that Elka had a major redesign in their internal components. Because of that rebuilding was not cheap. My local guy bought the parts from Elka directly and tried to find out why, however they wouldn't tell him anything, so who knows. He compared parts and couldn't see any visual differences, so maybe a material issue.

At the time I asked about Fox, which I don't have any experience with, and he said that Fox is a top notch company and was not aware of any issues like he experienced with Elka. So any servicing or rebuilding should be less expensive and easier to find someone to do it.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I too, am looking at a front shock upgrade on my 2018 RT Limited and trying to decide between the Elka's or the Fox shock. Does anybody have any experiences to share?

Spyder Garage

Bought my bike used with Elka shocks installed. Both had leaky seals at about 8K miles. Dealer gave me OEM shocks and I sent the Elkas to the repair shop. Elka told me they got a bunch of defective seals from a vendor. I rode the bike with the new OEM shocks while the Elkas were being rebuilt. I since have put over 20K miles on the rebuilt Elkas with no problems. I much prefer the ride and handling of the Elkas.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default Fox

Quote Originally Posted by djwilhoite View Post
    Hello, I have a 2014 RT with Baja Ron and laser alignment. I am considering upgrading the shocks. I know there are Elkas and Fox. Which one of these would give the best value for the money? Please share your experiences on the handling improvement. Thank you!
    I have Fox shocks along with a Baja Ron swaybar on my 2016 RT and couldn’t be more happier.
    Fox Front Shocks
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Chrome Side Wind Deflectors
    Chrome Handlebar End Caps
    Spyder Flap
    Ultimate Seat/Backrest
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Powerlet 12V Outlet
    Techmount Techgripper / Value Accessories Handlebar Ram Mount
    Perma Grin

Spyder Garage

FoxShox on ours. Substanially less expensive compared to Elkas. No issues and a much improved Spyder.

Realize that you should measure very accurately the front ride height before installing the shocks and after. Any change will require a new alignment.

Ours had the ride height increase. I do my own alignments so I was a bit suprised to see how drastically the alignment changed. Also, the FoxShox come with a better spring rate to match the dampers. For a light rider it may be too firm.

On account of the firmer springs, the front end will not settle as much as stock, so it is best to have your alignment verfied while seated in the Spyder. That is the best way to validate correct alignment. I have my friend seated on ours as I make the adjustments. Works well and is very accurate.

Spyder Garage

I have not made the jump to upgrade my shocks on my 2012 RTL, but when I do it will be Fox. I have had them on most of my snowmobiles and love them. There a easy shock to get rebuilt and you can get them tuned for your riding style, if you have a good shock shop handy. Good Luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I have not made the jump to upgrade my shocks on my 2012 RTL, but when I do it will be Fox. I have had them on most of my snowmobiles and love them. There a easy shock to get rebuilt and you can get them tuned for your riding style, if you have a good shock shop handy. Good Luck!!
    FWIW, as a longtime suspension tuner myself, I found that the FoxShox from BRP accessories for our 2014 RTS were valved and sprung very good for the Spyder right out of the box. I did not even alter the spring preload / ride height.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    FWIW, as a longtime suspension tuner myself, I found that the FoxShox from BRP accessories for our 2014 RTS were valved and sprung very good for the Spyder right out of the box. I did not even alter the spring preload / ride height.
    There you go that would make me want to jump!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I installed Fox shocks on my 2015 RT and could not believe how big of an improvement it was. I'm sure Elkas are great, too. The STOCK shocks are cheap compared to either upgraded brand.

Here are some instructions for installing Fox shocks. Go HERE.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RidinOn3 View Post
    I too, am looking at a front shock upgrade on my 2018 RT Limited and trying to decide between the Elka's or the Fox shock. Does anybody have any experiences to share?
    just incase his question got overlooked, the original poster has not checked back, and RidinOn3 choose not to start a new thread.

Also consider Worksperformance shocks.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...cks-Installed!

Spyder Garage

Default Any other shock options for the Spyder?

Hello Everyone,

Yep its me again. I finally have 1400 miles on my RS SM5. I have been watching videos about new shocks and how much of an improvement it makes. So why cant we just put a auto shock on our spyders? Something for a small car? I know there must be a car shock thats close in size. Just curious. Thanks for reading.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post

just incase his question got overlooked, the original poster has not checked back, and RidinOn3 choose not to start a new thread.

Also consider Worksperformance shocks.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...cks-Installed!
    Works Performance has seen some troubled times recently. Since Gil, the founder and main man behind Works passed away, a couple years ago, the company floundered a bit. Supposedly the family was going to continue with the business. In the dirt bike world Works Performance shocks are one of the most popular and where I stay abreast of their happenings. Have not heard much about them recently. Certainly accomplish good homework before buying and realize they may not be around in the future.