Spyder Garage

Default Flanker's Chop Shop

The first few mods were over priced (as is everything BRP) and easy to install.

BRP Spoiler (it's the smallest of the three optional windshields and is more analogous to a string bikini [not much there] than a windshield).

BRP SS Grill (love the bright orange trim bar---which is on it's death bed--------it just doesn't know it yet!)

BRP Attitude Bars to suit my 34 inch (sleeve) ape arms.

BRP #1 shift/brake lever kit [heavier than they need to be and NOT adjustable-------the foot pegs are adjustable-----------right? ]

BRP Chopped R Fender looks great, fits well, grossly over priced---the FLanker Original Products (FLOP) chopped fender on my old RSS cost me less than $20.00 to fab up and worked just as well.

Shift and Brake levers----it makes absolutely NO sense for BRP to emphasize the U Fit system in their adverts, and make it a selling point------then NOT make the shift & brake levers adjustable to go with the BIG DEAL adjustable foot pegs. U Fit is a good idea, system, and selling point! Then BRP completely dropped the ball with non adjustable levers. Mount the levers on a splined shaft with a pinch bolt, and equip all the linkage bars with threaded rods and a lock nut behind the front clevis! DUH!!!! And why are the pegs and levers so large??!! Has a Bigfoot or Yeti bought any Spyders lately??!! Didn't think so.

Sssssssooooooo...................a morning at a local Fab Shop, some cut off wheel action, throw in some TIG arcin' and sparkin', poison the atmosphere with some rattle can primer, and Ford dark metallic gray--------voila! Those rascals are moved way inboard, and are angled much more forward (so I don't have to pretend I have Harry Houdini's ankles (which I don't), and they almost look like they're the same color as the foot peg rails (ended up being a lot closer to the engine case cover than the rails---oh well)! Oh yea..................in addition; while the after market adjustable kit linkage kit is no doubt a good bit of kit; this mod ended up being a lot cheaper.

The TBR S1R slip on exhaust was for 2015-2017 F3 Ss-----fit my '18 just fine though there was about a eighth of an inch more of the BRP donut gasket (between the BRP collector pipe and the TBR S [cat delete] pipe) showing, so stretching the springs to connect the two pipes was "challenging" (taking your vitamins and having a generous supply of unChristianly language on hand helps!). At least I felt better anyway! The muffler only comes in satin polish natural stainless steel, so I took it to a local coating shop, where they bead blasted the finish (they managed to nick the TBR Logo with the beads in two places--two layers of carefully cut duct tape would have prevented that, but what do I know) before spraying on a flat black ceramic coat (the darn stuff isn't baked on, but has to air dry for 5 days!). Sounds great, low and throaty. Quiet at idle and and cruising, and really snarls when you jump into the injectors! I used a very similar system on my old RSS, and it was way too loud out of the box. Even with the accessory P1X tip installed it was still too loud for my taste. Sssssooooo after a fair bit of viewing You Tube F3 S exhaust vids, some excellent advice and experience commentary from Hypurone (and others), and kicking the game around with Techs at both TBR and HMF----I installed the P1X tip from the get go, and one of those "can opener" universal baffles (NOTE: If you're going to use one of these--they come in three different diameters [1.5, 1.75, & 2 inch), so make sure you get one that is mated to your chosen systems s pipe ID!). The darn big end of the baffle was a hair smaller than the ID of my S pipe inlet (dropped all the way inside to the S bend). So I took a flat tipped metal punch and hammer, and used them to install four dimples (from the inside out) near the lip of the big end. Worked great! One good tap with a hammer on the end of a large socket drove the baffle into place right about where the front spring loops are in the photo below. No rattling baffle for Flanker!

Last edited by Flanker; 06-29-2018 at 05:31 PM.

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can’t tell what you’ve done to the pedals but maybe that’s a good thing, they look factory.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Looks impressive. You don't mess around.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Where's there's a will....

If you want things to your liking (logic is out) you have to do it yourself and a fine job you did on all of it. now you will have to deal with all the question that come with the good work done "Where do I get it"....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Congrats! And thanks for the props! So with the can opener baffle is it where you need to be or are you contemplating a third baffle at the inlet to the muffler/outlet of the muffler connector pipe?

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all!

Still got the Elka R shock to go + some LED frou frous on the front end somewhere (replacing the stock head light bulbs, or DRLs???), and that darn orange trim bar. Then a repaint of the fog light housings (the silver panels under the Can Am logo) and black chrome for the logos themselves. You know how it is.......................it never ends!

The exhaust is good to go, as far as I'm concerned. Nice low burble at idle, low & throaty at 55-60MPH cruise, and snarls like it should when I jump in it. If I've lost any bottom end torque I can't tell the way it pulls! So I'm quite pleased with the tip/s on the can opener baffle/back pressure issues!

One thing I forgot in my OP, based on several exhaust system/ECU testimonials here, and several newly installed F3 exhaust vids on YT-----I really expected 10-15 minutes of coughing, stuttering, and hiccuping to one degree or another while the ECU reconfigured itself to the new TBR exhaust. Didn't get ANY of that! Started and idled fine, hopped on and rode about a dozen mile loop and it ran smooth as stock the whole way. I was pleased with that; needless to say! I don't know if the P1X in combo with the can opener baffle and the S1R's basic design mimiced stock flow and back pressure, so the ECU parameters needed little or no reconfiguration, or if it was something else? Fit and finish of the TBR were as first rate as the one I used on my RSS; installation was a bit harder primarily because of the top collector/S pipe spring mount location. Oh yea;.............................NO LEAKS!

BTW: The stainless alloy S pipe has already turned a very nice golden shade from exhaust temps!
    Last edited by Flanker; 06-29-2018 at 05:52 PM.

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags