Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    Write to your local Better Business Bureau.
    I guess you missed the part about ALL the airlines doing it that way ?
    And that has been true for a LONG time.

Seems like what you propose is a GROSS over-reaction.
    One needs to pick your battles......and this one seems like a no-win situation.

Have you ever actually done all of that over something worth only a couple of hundred dollars ??

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Right answer, wrong question.

The people involved here seemed to NOT know what the policy was at all.......and assumed that the return ticket would still be good......and it wasn't.

I think there are some differences recently. Pretty sure that some airlines do not book "round trip" flights at all anymore and this might be part of the reason. If you book two separate one way tickets, then not using the first one should not affect the second.
    I reviewed this with the wifey and she said that American Airlines has just issued a new policy regarding these types of events and that regular agents now have increased latitude to refund tickets or make other adjustments. This may also be true at other airlines since they generally have a follow the leader mentality.

As for your "airlines not issuing round trip tickets anymore".....incorrect. They all do. They will never pass up the possibility to get more money out of you once they have you on their website or phone. That is why they generally price round trip tix slightly below two one-way tix - so that you will be enticed to buy the RT.

You are correct though to say a one way ticket status will not affect another one way trip. This happens only on RT's (or flights with multiple legs).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I guess you missed the part about ALL the airlines doing it that way ?
    And that has been true for a LONG time.

Seems like what you propose is a GROSS over-reaction.
    One needs to pick your battles......and this one seems like a no-win situation.

Have you ever actually done all of that over something worth only a couple of hundred dollars ??

ER, I agree that all the airlines do this ... and I agree this is probably a no-win situation. Filing a complaint with the BBB, however, is not a "GROSS" overreaction. It's a normal reaction to want to do something when you've been screwed over by some arcane rule and you're frustrated. And I myself have used the BBB numerous times for a "couple of hundred dollars." Sometimes you file with the BBB just over the principle of the thing, to try to generate some "better business" instead of just bending over and taking it in the shorts. Do it would accomplish anything in this situation? Probably not, but what does it cost to try? Maybe the airline will issue some kind of credit, you don't know. And anyway, if enough people file complaints with the BBB for stuff like this, eventually the airlines might become a little more consumer-friendly.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default There is one solution to the airline-related issues...

I can honestly say I have not, in the last 10 years, been subject to over-charges, special fees, over-booking, cramped seats, undignified personal searches, delays, sleepovers in airports, or any of the other problems mentioned on this thread.

That's because I decided 10 years ago I was not going anywhere on an airplane ever again. Personal choice, I know, and it does involve some compromises, but I haven't missed the aggravation one bit.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Orange Spyder Man;1372976]simple explanation..... GREED.... not good business ... but it seems to be the new way of doing business..[/QUOTEYep...just like my cable TV provider!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=stillriding;1373622]
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    simple explanation..... GREED.... not good business ... but it seems to be the new way of doing business..[/QUOTEYep...just like my cable TV provider!
    Cut the cord.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I can honestly say I have not, in the last 10 years, been subject to over-charges, special fees, over-booking, cramped seats, undignified personal searches, delays, sleepovers in airports, or any of the other problems mentioned on this thread.

That's because I decided 10 years ago I was not going anywhere on an airplane ever again. Personal choice, I know, and it does involve some compromises, but I haven't missed the aggravation one bit.
    As the spouse of an airline employee I have "free" passage anywhere AA flies and almost "free" on other airlines but the last trip I took was in 2002. I feel about airline travel as you do and will do anything to avoid flying.