Spyder Garage

Default Better spring for stock rear shock on F3-S?

I've searched and searched and still have been unable to decipher what specific springs are being used to replace just the spring on the stock rear shock. I'm fairly certain an Elka is in our future but seeing the stock shock has only 400 miles on it I would like to put off the expense a little while. Can you buy just the spring that comes on the factory two-up shock? Is an Eibach spring a "simple" swap for the stock spring? Neither of use are light weights and we might want to ride two-up occasionally, the wife likes to do the wine tasting thing around the local lakes and with her knee trouble two-up on my K1600GT isn't going to work anymore. If anyone has a part number with their suggestions that would be great! Thanks
    Last edited by unbreakable; 06-27-2018 at 12:02 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by unbreakable View Post
    I've searched and searched and still have been unable to decipher what specific springs are being used to replace just the spring on the stock rear shock. I'm fairly certain an Elka is in our future but seeing the stock shock has only 400 miles on it I would like to put off the expense a little while. Can you buy just the spring that comes on the factory two-up shock? Is an Eibach spring a "simple" swap for the stock spring? Neither of use are light weights and we might want to ride two-up occasionally, the wife likes to do the wine tasting thing around the local lakes and with her knee trouble two-up on my K1600GT isn't going to work anymore. If anyone has a part number with their suggestions that would be great! Thanks
    You'll get better responses if you tell us the year and model of your Spyder.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    You'll get better responses if you tell us the year and model of your Spyder.
    It's a 2016 F3-S

Spyder Garage

Default rear spring

I just gave up searching and bought a can am two up rear assembly. By increasing the spring strength only, you may find the rebound a bit light giving a bouncy feeling as the oil flow valve may not match the return rate of the new spring. Its not difficult to install but its still a pain remove the inner rear liner to access the top mount. I have found the new spring does it right for me one up and takes the softness out of it when two up. Both of us total around 300 lbs. The aftermarket assemblies I looked at over here were more than double , some nearly triple, the cost of the can am item. We aren't talking about track spec'd bikes here and I couldn't see the value in upgrading the rear to such an extent, as it would never need the performance adjustments the high end shocks offer. Good luck with the search....

Spyder Garage

If you're "fairly certain" an Elka shock is in your future, then consider getting it now and enjoying it longer. I just put in their Stage 5 rear shock and it is a huge improvement over the garbage 2015 F3-S shock that was there.

Good luck!
    2022 Spyder RT SEA-TO-SKY Mystery Blue... (bought new May 2023, a work in progress...)

2015 Can-Am Red F3-S, SE6
    CalSci shield, Elka stage 5 rear shock, stage 4 front shocks, Akrapovic silencer, BajaRon Bar, Roadster Renovations vibration dampener, Tricled LED headlights and auxiliary lights, driver floorboard, driver and passenger backrests, Tricled Safety Led package, Shad BRP/SH36 side cases, Baker built luggage rack, Tricled Rear run/brake/turn signal led, Tricled LED piezo brake bullet strobe, JDM Astar LED bulbs for rear and front lights, Airhawk seat pad, USB power outlet

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RPM View Post
    If you're "fairly certain" an Elka shock is in your future, then consider getting it now and enjoying it longer. I just put in their Stage 5 rear shock and it is a huge improvement over the garbage 2015 F3-S shock that was there.

Good luck!
    Got a part number from another member on here, thanks als, so I will be installing the new spring this week. I know the Elka is the way to go but to be honest I like the Spyder more than I thought I would and the wife prefers to be a pillion so now I have to figure out if we keep the S or look into a T with the air ride. I'm keeping my K1600GT but it looks like the Spyder will see a lot more two up than originally planned.