Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Disappointing maiden voyage on new to us Spyder

POST #47 ON PAGE 2 HAS THE RESULTS OF MY SPYDERS PROBLEMS.
    Sorry about the length of this post but I'll keep it as short as possible
    BACKGROUND:
    We got rid of our 2011 Spyder RT in April because of mechanical issues. To get rid of it we traded it on a 2007 Goldwing because we've had goldwings in the past.
    The 2007 Wing was great but we both really really missed 3 wheels.
    Sold the Wing private and picked up a 2014 Spyder RT Limited in a private sale. Bike was taken to a reputable Spyder Dealer for a check over and safety prior to purchase.
    Picked up the Spyder 9 days ago and during the 9 days rode it 400 trouble free miles.
    Today was our day for a 300 mile return trip to our daughters.
    Here are the codes that we got not once but several times during our ride:
    C006C C003A P2159 P081E P0000
    Before going into limp mode with the engine light, abs light and ??????? The bike surged once like there was a fuel blockage and then ran fine for about 5 miles. This repeated itself about 4 times and the the limp mode etc came on.
    3 days ago I put a can of seafoam in the bike and filled the tank with Shell 91 octaine and rode it about 100 miles since then prior to today. My first thought was that the seafoam had possibly broken some deposits loose and the bike wasn't getting enough fuel.

Anyway, when the limp mode came on I pulled over immediately and shut the bike off and let it sit for 10 minutes. Fired it back up and engine light etc were still on. I started to proceed and the lights went off and everything seemed fine. Full power was back etc.
    This repeated itselt about 4 times during the 300 mile ride.
    When we got home, I went out alone and filled the bike up with regular fuel. After about 15 miles the bike went into limp mode and started to downshift all the way to first gear by itself.
    Pulled over, shut off for 5 minutes. Start up and proceed and lights went out and bike ran great. This repeated itself 4 times during a 40 mile ride.
    I'll take it to the dealer in the morning but man oh man is this ever discouraging. Here's a picture of the dash showing the lights. The engine light was also on so don't know why it's not in the picture.
    6A9AA9D7-668D-49B6-AB35-73B8D3B17E9C.jpg
    Last edited by Wrongway; 07-04-2018 at 09:36 PM.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Keep us posted what your dealer/mechanic says. Inquiring minds want to know...
    Last edited by BryanSD; 06-25-2018 at 08:41 PM.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wish you luck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check your wheel speed sensors. One of those codes is for wheel speed sensor and will cause the symptoms you described. Does your bike have a car tire on it? What size if it does?
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I’m betting on a loose battery cable because of all the different things the codes are showing.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 06-26-2018 at 08:11 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Lets see....

Bummer...From the codes there seems to be an issue with the rear wheel sensors. Did they do any work back there..? Brakes, tire ..? The other is the clutch make sure you have the right oil and proper level. The last one means nothing. Do let us know what they find. .
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Just following here. Anxious to know that’s all. Good luck

SilverFox
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!

Spyder Garage

Default Looked at fuse boxes....WOW

Thanks to everyone for your replies. First thing I did the second time I pulled over was to make sure the battery cables were tight. They were. Rear tire is not new and it's a kenda.
    When it was in for the safety inspection they also did an oil change and replaced part #278003071 control gear motor and under the price it says warranty. Probable a TSB.

Anyway, I went out to check the fuses. When I opened the left side fuse box cover (the left side when you're sitting on the bike), there was a lot of liquid inside the cover. The colour was like a robins egg blue and had no taste of coolant or battery acid. All of the fuses were wet so at least the dealer will have a starting point.
    Anybody have any idea what the liquid could be?

thanks
    Greg
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Battery connections may be tight but corrosion between the posts and clamps will create problems. And, speaking from my two-wheel experience, don't forget the negative cable connection to the Spyder chassis.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trapdoor View Post
    Battery connections may be tight but corrosion between the posts and clamps will create problems. And, speaking from my two-wheel experience, don't forget the negative cable connection to the Spyder chassis.
    Good points. Thanks, I'll make sure the dealer checks those too.
    I think what scares me the most is the liquid in the fuse box. Who knows where that came from or how long it's been in there.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway View Post
    Good points. Thanks, I'll make sure the dealer checks those too.
    I think what scares me the most is the liquid in the fuse box. Who knows where that came from or how long it's been in there.
    I remember that awhile back there were one or two threads on the issue of water in the fuse boxes. You might want to do a search on that topic.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I remember that awhile back there were one or two threads on the issue of water in the fuse boxes. You might want to do a search on that topic.
    Thanks. I did a search and found a guy with a 2013 RT with water getting into the right fuse box.
    The dealer replaced it under warranty and the day the guy picked it up there was a rain shower and guess what? YEP, water in the right fuse box.
    They guy never did give us the end of the story unfortunately.
    After reading his post, although I haven't ridden in the rain, the bike did get caught sitting outside during a 1 hour severe downpour last week. After that I rode about 200 miles until the problems started yesterday.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My only thought is that seafoam may be a problem. It is not needed if you use proper fuel.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joebryanjr View Post
    My only thought is that seafoam may be a problem. It is not needed if you use proper fuel.
    I was wondering the same thing. I've been using seafoam in my cars and motorcycles for 15 years with nothing but positive results but who knows.

I'm 99% sure it's because water got into the left side fuse box.
    Off to the dealer this morning.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Run the VIN through BRP's website. I seem to remember there being a recall or a TSB for water in the fuse boxes. I also seen a posting on Facebook I think from James Thorne about the seals going bad on the fuse block cover over time and letting water in. I have a feeling the liquid in the fuse box is the culprit.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Culpjp View Post
    Run the VIN through BRP's website. I seem to remember there being a recall or a TSB for water in the fuse boxes. I also seen a posting on Facebook I think from James Thorne about the seals going bad on the fuse block cover over time and letting water in. I have a feeling the liquid in the fuse box is the culprit.
    thanks for that. I'll make sure the dealer checks
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Default BATTERY

I'M WITH THE BATTERY GUYS ON THIS ONE......

my RS started giving me codes up the ying-yang.... pull the Tuperware off, and began to test every single electrical connection on the bike.... I SHOULD HAVE STARED @ the battery... the connections (both) were only hand tight, and the cables could be moved very easily.... tightened both down after applying a little PERMATEX DIE-ELECTRIC grease... ZERO issues after that.... when i bought my F3, that was one of the 1st things i did to it and have had ZERO issues related to codes since... you also may want to have that battery tested to see if it has a faulty cell or two.....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like you may have identified the problem.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Sounds like water in the fuse box. The liquid was colored due to the many materials in the box that have corroded. If its gone far enough to be causing this sort of electrical gremlins, you will at a minimum need a new fuse box and likely a wiring harness. This is not good news. Sure hope you have a warranty.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default service bulliten

When I took my 2016 F3L to the dealer he said there is a service bulletin to check a fuse box for water penetration. He also said if it fails the inspection I'm not allowed to drive it home until it is corrected. Adding insult to injury they do not stock the service bulletin parts.
    If it's not warranty I would clean it out my self and seal the cover.
    Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis in Lodi; 06-26-2018 at 08:50 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks. I did a search and found a guy with a 2013 RT with water getting into the right fuse box.
    The dealer replaced it under warranty and the day the guy picked it up there was a rain shower and guess what? YEP, water in the right fuse box.
    They guy never did give us the end of the story unfortunately.
    After reading his post, although I haven't ridden in the rain, the bike did get caught sitting outside during a 1 hour severe downpour last week. After that I rode about 200 miles until the problems started yesterday.
    Pretty sure that's your problem. Good luck.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joebryanjr View Post
    It's not the SeaFoam. I use it in my Spyder. I recommend it to my customers for certain issues. And I know a lot of people use SeaFoam in their Spyders with no problem.

No matter what fuel you use, you will get deposit build-up on the injectors over time. More so if you do a lot of stop & go or short trip riding. SeaFoam, used every so often, helps to keep injectors clean and producing a good spray pattern, among other things.

The worst thing that can happen using SeaFoam is nothing happens at all because it is not needed.

I'm betting the fuse box is the issue here.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It's not the SeaFoam. I use it in my Spyder. I recommend it to my customers for certain issues. And I know a lot of people use SeaFoam in their Spyders with no problem.

No matter what fuel you use, you will get deposit build-up on the injectors over time. More so if you do a lot of stop & go or short trip riding. SeaFoam, used every so often, helps to keep injectors clean and producing a good spray pattern, among other things.

The worst thing that can happen using SeaFoam is nothing happens at all because it is not needed.

I'm betting the fuse box is the issue here.
    Just got back from the dealer and the spyder mechanic agrees with you Ron. He said the box doesn't look too bad and suggested removing the bottom bank of 3-40 amp and 1-25 amp fuses, cleaning up the contacts and installing new fuses.
    I took it for a long ride after talking with him because I had the fuse box opened up all night with a fan blowing on it. After 40 miles riding it did everything that it did yesterday so no more riding until I replace the fuses. Then I'll say a prayer and go riding.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just got back from the dealer and the spyder mechanic agrees with you Ron. He said the box doesn't look too bad and suggested removing the bottom bank of 3-40 amp and 1-25 amp fuses, cleaning up the contacts and installing new fuses. I took it for a long ride after talking with him because I had the fuse box opened up all night with a fan blowing on it. After 40 miles riding it did everything that it did yesterday so no more riding until I replace the fuses. Then I'll say a prayer and go riding.
    As I understand it, then, you had the dealer troubleshoot it but not repair it?

I doubt that just replacing the fuses will accomplish much; given the color of the water in the fuse box (bluish?), something has corroded in there. I think it was BajaRon who suggested you may need to replace the entire fuse block at a minimum and (hopefully not) the wiring harness.

Please keep us informed as to new developments, so we can all learn from your experience. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum