Thread: Zumo 396

Spyder Garage

Default Zumo 396

Does anyone currently have, or has anyone ever used the Zumo 396? I’m asking because I can get a 396 for approximately half the price of the current models. The adverts seem to say that they do everything that I want, and they come with Lifetime Maps. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
    Bruce

2014 RTS-SE6
    Tri-Axis Handlebars
    Sena BT Dongle
    Sirius Radio
    Dash bar
    Show Chrome Trunk Rack

"You know that a politician is lying if his lips are moving"

Spyder Garage

The 396 does seem to be a good deal. It's a new model and they have changed the design from the 390 which it replaces - unlike the 590 to 595 which doesn't seem to have changed physically or software wise.

The 396 does have a smaller screen and its lower resolution, which will mean the text etc will be more blocky , but they seem to have the same features otherwise from what I can work out. Haven't seen a comparison review yet.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Looks like Tom Tom makes a similar unit. https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/drive/m...cts/rider-550/
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Looks like Tom Tom makes a similar unit. https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/drive/m...cts/rider-550/
    Thanks for the info....I’m hoping someone who uses one of these Tomtom’s will chime in.
    i’ve never used anything other than a Garmin, and then only the cheap ones....never one created for a motorcycle.
    Bruce

2014 RTS-SE6
    Tri-Axis Handlebars
    Sena BT Dongle
    Sirius Radio
    Dash bar
    Show Chrome Trunk Rack

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have an older Tom Tom rider and it works well. They are a little hard to get used to when you are used to a Garmin.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 395

Don't know if this helps or not, but I have a Garmin 395. Generally easy to use, gets me where I want to go.
    Good luck in your quest.
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sandeejs View Post
    Don't know if this helps or not, but I have a Garmin 395. Generally easy to use, gets me where I want to go.
    Good luck in your quest.
    ~Sandee~
    Knowing what you know now, if you were looking for a gps, would you purchase the 395 again?

I appreciate your honest appraisal. Right now, I have a gps for my car that I use on my Spyder, but find it awkward to see while I am riding.
    Bruce

2014 RTS-SE6
    Tri-Axis Handlebars
    Sena BT Dongle
    Sirius Radio
    Dash bar
    Show Chrome Trunk Rack

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default still liking th 395

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Knowing what you know now, if you were looking for a gps, would you purchase the 395 again?
    Yep, I would purchase it again. It's a little smaller than my previous gps, but way newer. I don't need to look at every detail of the map; I just want to know where the next turn is. Perfect for my needs.

~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Many thanks, Sandee. You’ve been a big help. Thanks also to Highwayman2013....very much appreciated.
    Bruce

2014 RTS-SE6
    Tri-Axis Handlebars
    Sena BT Dongle
    Sirius Radio
    Dash bar
    Show Chrome Trunk Rack

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    ... and they come with Lifetime Maps. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
    Be carefull with your interpretation of Garmin's "Lifetime Maps" assurance ...

It is not your lifetime, nor the lifetime of the device ... but the lifetime of when Garmin supports your device.

You are locked out when Garmin no longer sells that Model. You are locked out if you have any kind of problem downloading the new maps and you are locked out if Garmin just wants to lock you out.

I have a drawer full of Garmin GPS ... some costing hundreds of dollars ... fully working with "LifeTime Maps", which are junk in the drawer because they will not update and there is nothing worse than an old map.

They still work. They will not update maps anymore and Garmin couldn't give a rat's patute about you or your "LifeTime Maps".

Such is life ... LOL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blitzkreig View Post
    Be carefull with your interpretation of Garmin's "Lifetime Maps" assurance ...

It is not your lifetime, nor the lifetime of the device ... but the lifetime of when Garmin supports your device.

You are locked out when Garmin no longer sells that Model. You are locked out if you have any kind of problem downloading the new maps and you are locked out if Garmin just wants to lock you out.

I have a drawer full of Garmin GPS ... some costing hundreds of dollars ... fully working with "LifeTime Maps", which are junk in the drawer because they will not update and there is nothing worse than an old map.

They still work. They will not update maps anymore and Garmin couldn't give a rat's patute about you or your "LifeTime Maps".

Such is life ... LOL
    Interesting. So what is the average lifetime then? <curious>
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kiry View Post
    Interesting. So what is the average lifetime then? <curious>
    By my experience about a year and a half ... maybe two. Then you are "OUTA HERE" ... You are a WAY better using your cellphone and a plastic baggy over it when it rains.

Garmin even just this month discontinued support for their cell phone application called "Navigon". An excellent product which didn't use data time but downloaded the database actually to your phone. I have BOTH the North American version and the Western European version costing me hundreds of dollars which are scrap now. I hate Garmin but they have a great product with their new GPS. I sincerely hope they survive ...
    Last edited by blitzkreig; 06-25-2018 at 10:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have had a Garmen Nuvi 1455 for many years that still updates. I am using it on the Spyder.
    2015 RTS , Black

Spyder Garage

This was a couple of reviews that a local rider did of first a 390 and a 590. Now I know those are the previous versions to what your asking about but its probably still useful.

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...min-ZUMO-390LM
    https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...min-Zumo-590LM

Spyder Garage

Default Garmin

I have a Garmin nuvi 1450 which I got in 2010 , been using it in the car and Spyder, just received new update......I have been thinking about a new waterproof one. I'll be watching this thread to see what people think of the new one and I will add this question to the pile.

Is there a GPS that works like google maps but not on a phone ? I understand I could just use my phone but being a workphone and my service isn't the best in certain parts of the USA. I really like how google maps is set up but is that made in a portable gps form.

2016 RT-S Pearl White

BRP Driver Backrest
    Lamonster Spyderdock, (2) Spydercuffs
    Magic Mirror w/Doc Humphreys tethers
    (2) Rokform phone mounts
    FOBO
    SpyderPops Bumpskid,missing belt guard,Rear strobe LEDs
    Lamonster LED headlights & foglights
    Spyder Pockets
    LED front fender kit -running & turn signals
    Custom Back off mudflap
    Vinyl nameplate & 1330 triple decals by New Image Signs
    Custom RLS exhaust
    Hogtunes speakers 5 1/4 front and back
    Memphis Powersports Amp
    Her name is "Purl"
    2016 RT-S , white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kredab View Post
    Is there a GPS that works like google maps but not on a phone ? I understand I could just use my phone but being a workphone and my service isn't the best in certain parts of the USA. I really like how google maps is set up but is that made in a portable gps form.
    You could get a Samsung or other Android tablet (an Apple iPad is another option but obviously the Android devices are designed for google).

From your description of needing better coverage than your mobile you'd need to get one that has 4g i.e. you can connect it directly to the internet over the mobile network. Something like the Samsung A6 (4G) may do the trick. It's smaller than the full size tablets but still bigger than a phone and relatively cheap, certainly cheaper than a phone. Its not the flashiest tablet Samsung do but for google maps etc it would work well. The screen on that is 7" but there are bigger ones.

Samsung do a ruggedized (drop proof, waterproof etc) 4G tablet called the Tab Active 2 but its very expensive.

It is possible to get a tablet that only has WiFi and then connect it to your mobile phone using the 'hotspot' option - but as you mentioned its a work mobile and doesn't have great coverage that's probably not the answer for you. By the way, the 4G ones come with WiFi as well.

There are plenty of different mounts you can get to hold your tablet on the Spyder, or the map pocket on a tank bag - Some tank bags are now designed to hold tablets.

From experience, having tried using a tablet before getting my GPS, the downsides vs a dedicated motorbike GPS are:
    • Sunlight on the screen can be more of an issue
    • Need to stop and take gloves off to operate
    • You need to set it up so the screen stays on and you need the screen full brightness to combat the sun. That plus the 4G connection mean that it does use the battery quite quickly so for longer journeys you will need to run power to it - though if you've got a usb plug on your Spyder that's easy to do
    • With google maps you do always need a connection, and murphy's law will be when you're really lost you don't have one:-) There are other cheap GPS apps you can for them though, some of which do have built in maps. There's one I used that worked well, will try and remember the name
    • Unless you get a ruggedized one its not waterproof, there are waterproof cases available or can use a zip lock bag of course.
    Last edited by PistonBlown; 06-26-2018 at 08:17 AM.

Spyder Garage

Here's a link to a discussion about the 396 on Adventure Riders.
    http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...o-396.1293919/
    Bob S