Spyder Garage

Default Oil what a concept BUT !

BRP Recommends::

Recommended Engine OilUse the XPS 4-STROKE SYNTH.BLEND OIL (SUMMER) (P/N 293 600121).If not available, use SAE 5W 40semi-synthetic or synthetic motorcycleoil that meets the requirements forAPI service SL, SJ, SH or SG classification.Always check the API servicelabel on the oil container.NOTE: The same oil is used for theengine, gearbox, clutch, and the HCM(SE5 models).

1. Long discussion with many stating they are running the 10W40?

2. Also does BRP consider the difference in geological temps? Since yesterday Florida 105 and in Michigan 68.. This has to do a beating on then consistency of the oils..

SO what is it guys ?
    My Ride --->>> 2013 ST-S SE5 <<---

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP says to use their oil. Why? Because they and the dealer make money on BRP oil. I use my own Amsoil and the dealer installs it for me. Why? Because I want to. I change my my oil/filter every 10,000 miles on all my vehicles and never had an oil related problem. Hey, everyone here has an opinion on brand of oil and grade of gasoline. I read this forum often and have never read of an oil or gasoline related problem. JMHO

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

In this day and age of oil for ICE's it really only comes down to extreme cold and flow at initial startup. As long as it has the service ratings BRP indicates you can't be denied warranty. Sure you can get granular about it and use one oil for cold weather and another for hot but it really isn't necessary unless you have gone to the extreme and are trying to use 20w-50 when it 0 deg out! Glad I live where I do in that regard!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    BRP says to use their oil. Why? Because they and the dealer make money on BRP oil. I use my own Amsoil and the dealer installs it for me. Why? Because I want to. I change my my oil/filter every 10,000 miles on all my vehicles and never had an oil related problem. Hey, everyone here has an opinion on brand of oil and grade of gasoline. I read this forum often and have never read of an oil or gasoline related problem. JMHO

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rkba101 View Post
    SO what is it guys ?

Do whatever you think is right and makes you happy.

As long as the required spec's are satisfied, a minor difference in viscosity rating is a "don't care".

Really.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    X3
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default VALVOLINE

For yrs i used the BRP blended oil.... my dealer charges $14 per qt....

i got to reading some of the post on SL about oils, and decided to do more research on my own... for a month or more, i GOOGLED every make of motorcycle oil you can find... and the bottom line for me was, that they are mostly ALL THE SAME... during my search, i also looked at pricing... i found that VALOLINE purchased from Walmarts (online or their sister company JET.COM) was under $7.00 per qt... NO BRAINER here guys & gals... so i ordered 6 qts from Walmarts & 6 qts from JET... Wally was a few pennies cheaper, but JET was faster by 1 day in delivery... i ordered 2 sets of oil filters & O-rings from Baja-Ron, and did my 1st oil change with the VALVOLINE.... HUGE difference in my 1330 F3... motor was quieter and shifting was smoother that the OEM BRP oil...

I'M SOLD ON VALVOLINE.....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Default motor oil valvolene

are you using 10/40 blend or regular cycle oil with the valvolene?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

SPYD3R, can you be a bit more specific on the Valvoline?

Spyder Garage

Waimart has Rotella T6 which is 5w-40 full synthetic and very reasonably priced. It also meets all the oil requirements also.
    2008 SM5 Yellow, built 5/08 Mods: Evoluzione CAI, and Programable SPAL Fan. Two Brothers Juice Box, Hindle Exhaust. Custom Dynamics Lighting and Mono seat Cowl.
    2012 RSS SM5 Red/Black Mods Two Brothers Carbon Fiber Exhaust Dynojet Power Commander JT's Custom Air Filter.