Spyder Garage

Post LOOSE NUTS AND BOLTS

I had a very nice ride today on my new to me 2014 RT and decided to get out the torx and allen sockets just to do a safety check on every nut & bolt I could get to. I have a hobby of restoring old motorcycles, Mustangs, Camaros along with a lot of small motors so I have a habit of checking for loose nuts and bolts. Well to my surprise I could find only "ONE" BOLT THAT WAS EVEN CLOSE TO BEING TIGHT. In all my years ridding BMW's & Gold Wing's I have never found more then 1 or 2 loose nuts & bolts on new or low mi. bikes and then only about 1/2 turn, on my bike they where anywhere from 1 to 5 full turns loose, my dash panel had all 4 bolts at least 5 full turns off.

So I recommend to all of you young, old and newby riders that do not maintain your bike yourself and just let the dealer service it for you, you had better start checking all the nut & bolts you can find and get out the torx & allen sockets or buy the one's you will need and tighten all the bolts and keep checking for loose one's about every 2 or 3K mi. or you might end up with a very expensive repair or replacement of parts that fell off or brook off. I found all 3 bolts on both fenders where 2-3 turns loose and my bike has only 12K mi. on it. So this tells me the factory workers are not put them together as they should be and the dealers that un-crate them do not check them for any loose bolts or are the one's leaving them loose when they put together what they have to on the new one's.

Sorry if I seem to be long winded but some things that are a very dangerous hazard like a fender coming loose at 70 mph and fall on top of the tire could cause a very bad accident for you or someone following you on there bike. Be Safe an ride Safe.

PS; if I miss spell or punctuation is wrong keep to yourself and no one else will know. Thanks Bob G.
    Last edited by RVG RT1; 06-23-2018 at 11:51 PM.
    IF IT'S NOT BROKEN LEAVE IT ALONE

2014 White Spyder RT LTD

Spyder Garage

Good advice.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red