Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handlebars

Spyder Garage

Default Handlebars

I have a 2017 F3-L that fits me very well except it would be nice if the handlebars were about an inch closer to my body.
    Anyone have any suggestions?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BruceA View Post
    I have a 2017 F3-L that fits me very well except it would be nice if the handlebars were about an inch closer to my body.
    Anyone have any suggestions?
    I'm going to post a similar topic, but just installed a RDL seat, and the 2 inch increase in seat height really messed up the ergonomics on my F3L as well. I need to look into bar options or if a riser block is available.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK REV 800 X View Post
    I'm going to post a similar topic, but just installed a RDL seat, and the 2 inch increase in seat height really messed up the ergonomics on my F3L as well. I need to look into bar options or if a riser block is available.
    I bought the 2” risers for my F3-L, but couldn’t use them. The butterfly shape of the handlebar block prevents the riser fitting well into the handlebar holes, plus the gap in the 2” riser knob was not enough let it fit over the butterfly shape. Thst’s a very poor description, I know. I just wanted to get this out there, and will post some kind of photo and brand name shortly.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Here’s a couple of photos of the Rox 2” risers. They are not tall enough to clear the butterfly body shape of the F3-L handlebar clamps, plus the riser nubs don’t fit fully into the original handlebar holes due to the clamp shape. I could be trying to install them incorrectly of course, but I don’t believe so. Maybe 3” risers would clear the clamps, but I don’t know. The second photo is pretty poor, but it will give you some idea of what I am talking about. I can post a better photo if anyone is interested.

I have my stock F3-L bars rotated up a couple of inches, which worked well, but a DayLong seat lifted me 2”. I am looking at buying either the BRP short? reach bars (the ones that come closest to the rider) and removing the clamp nub so I can can rotate them up 4” or so (but that could make for an uncomfortable wrist angle) or buying Lamont’s Billy Cub bars. I am not a big mini apes fan, but if they work, on they go. Plus, at 6’7”, I’m hoping they will just look like normal bars anyway

Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I don't need mine any higher, just need them about 1.5" closer to me.

Spyder Garage

I don't need mine any higher, just need them about 1.5" closer to me.
    Which bars did you get with your F3-L, Bruce?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Which bars did you get with your F3-L, Bruce?

Pete
    They were the stock bars. I believe they are for position 3.

Spyder Garage

They were the stock bars. I believe they are for position 3.
    It might be worthwhile doing a bit of research on the “short reach” bars, Bruce. I have not found exactly how much closer they are to you than the “standard reach” bars, but it looks like an inch or two. You can then rotate them up or down a few inches to get them in the right place, within the limitation of the slot in the base of the bars and nub in the clamp.

If you do go down this route, make sure the bars don’t contact your knees or tank if you lower them. There are a few threads on this in Spyderlovers that might provide more info.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Pete, Are you still looking at options or happy as is? I think the short reach bar it's my best option after some thought. I'm not sure how difficult they are to install but will look into that next.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Peteoz and BruceA ..... lot at the riser brand from RSI - I know that DENNISKIRK.COM sells them in sizes from 1.5" to 10" ........ I'm not 100% sure they will work on the F-3 , but I think so .....they are very different from the ROX style .... Mike
    Thanks, I'll check these out also.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    It might be worthwhile doing a bit of research on the “short reach” bars, Bruce. I have not found exactly how much closer they are to you than the “standard reach” bars, but it looks like an inch or two. You can then rotate them up or down a few inches to get them in the right place, within the limitation of the slot in the base of the bars and nub in the clamp.

If you do go down this route, make sure the bars don’t contact your knees or tank if you lower them. There are a few threads on this in Spyderlovers that might provide more info.

Pete
    Thanks Pete, I'm going to see if there any dealers here in Arizona that have a short reach in stock. If so, I can compre them to my stock one before I buy them.

Spyder Garage

Pete, Are you still looking at options or happy as is? I think the short reach bar it's my best option after some thought. I'm not sure how difficult they are to install but will look into that next.
    Not really looking any more, Black Rev. I just have to make the call on whether to go with Lamont’s mini apes, and grin and bear the jibes from my so called “friends” (all in good fun), or stay with what I have now.

Replacing the bars really isn’t difficult because the controls and grips come off as a complete unit, but you do have to ensure you have a 7mm hex for the clamp bolts. Most hex kits don’t have a 7mm. Plus, those suckers are in tight with plenty of the dreaded BRP yellow loctite, so you need some leverage. Have a look at Lamont’s video on installing his mini apes on YouTube, and you’ll see how easy it is......I’ll post it if I can find it

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Ooooops. It wasn’t a video, it was a set of install instructions.
    http://www.lamonstergarage.com/billy-club-bar-install/

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The short reach bars would definitely help but if they aren’t enough you might try Rox Risers. I think that PrairieSpyder has them on her F3 you might ask her how they are working.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Onya, Ann.......thanks.......there you go Bruce.......the Rox risers DO work with the F3-L as long as you want to simply bring the bars closer to you. I want them higher and a bit further away. The only thing that might interfere is if you have the CanAm Garmin GPS Mount.

Have a look at Post #24 on this thread. Prariespyder has installed a pair of 2” Rox risers. Much cheaper option than new bars.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ghlight=risers

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 06-24-2018 at 12:55 AM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the short reach bars on my f3s, rolled down to just clear of tank on full lock.

Compared to stock bars, they are a little over an inch longer/closer. Doesn't sound much, but made a big difference to me. Hope this info is helpful.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I also used the Rox risers. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-18-handlebars

If 2" is too much you can rotate the bars away from you.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    I have the short reach bars on my f3s, rolled down to just clear of tank on full lock.

Compared to stock bars, they are a little over an inch longer/closer. Doesn't sound much, but made a big difference to me. Hope this info is helpful.
    That would be perfect for me.
    Thank you

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for the helpful info! I appreciate it!

Dave

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

After some thought I'm still wondering if the Rox riser bar nubs will get enough "bite" into the factory riser block as Pete suggested was an issue due to the 45 degree angle it is cut... I'm going with either the short bars or riser, just debating. Are the members that have installed the Rox riser confident or comfortable that it fits well into the stock riser and no risk of coming out?

Spyder Garage

After some thought I'm still wondering if the Rox riser bar nubs will get enough "bite" into the factory riser block as Pete suggested was an issue due to the 45 degree angle it is cut... I'm going with either the short bars or riser, just debating. Are the members that have installed the Rox riser confident or comfortable that it fits well into the stock riser and no risk of coming out?
    If you set them up like Prairie has, straight toward you, they look like they seat pretty well, Black Reb. The fly certainly seems impressed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everryone who commented on this post. I'm going to try the Rox risers first. Is there enough slack in the control cables or do they need to be modified or extended?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One warning about using the Rox risers:

If you're in the habit of using the bars to help you stand up to get off your Spyder, they may shift down as you do so. I use my gut muscles and the floor boards to stand and then just use the bars to help balance as I get off. Like I told CruzrJoe, "Use your core."
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    One warning about using the Rox risers:

If you're in the habit of using the bars to help you stand up to get off your Spyder, they may shift down as you do so. I use my gut muscles and the floor boards to stand and then just use the bars to help balance as I get off. Like I told CruzrJoe, "Use your core."
    Thanks for the tip!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the tip!

One other thing, Bruce....I think you would have raised this by now, but you don’t have the BRP Garmin GPS Mount on your F3-L do you? That will be a showstopper for the risers.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.