Spyder Garage

Default Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don’t Wave Back.

10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
    9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
    8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
    7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
    6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
    5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
    4. Just discovered the fine print in owner’s manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
    3. Can’t tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
    2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
    1. They’re too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

So Now You Know

Darrell

I am the Storm.jpg
    Last edited by Wildrice; 06-22-2018 at 05:16 AM.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Seems like over the years the number of waves has steadily decreased.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    Seems like over the years the number of waves has steadily decreased.
    I always wave. Often, don't get a wave back, but I do...
    2018 RT Limited "Blondie"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And now: The REST of the story!

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back
    5. Angry because they just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
    4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
    3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
    2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
    1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back
    10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
    9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
    8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
    7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
    6. The espresso machine just finished.
    5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
    4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
    3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
    2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player,
    seat temperature and satellite navigation system.
    1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

Top 10 Reasons Sport bikers Don't Wave:
    10. They have not been riding long enough to know they're supposed to.
    9. They're going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.
    8. You weren't wearing bright enough gear.
    7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they'll rip it out of the socket.
    6. They're too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.
    5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don't want to unbalance
    themselves while standing on the tank.
    4. Their skin tight-Kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.
    3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
    2. It's too hard to do one-handed stoppies.
    1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don't Wave Back
    10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.
    9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."
    8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgment.
    7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.
    6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.
    5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!.
    4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.
    3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.
    2. You haven't been properly introduced.
    1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

Top Ten Reasons Why Dual Sport Riders Don't Wave Back
    10. Vibration of knobby tires prevented the rider from taking his hand off the bars.
    9. MX style safety gear was too bright to see you wave.
    8. His front fender prevents you seeing him wave back.
    7. Was too busy configuring his GPS/Enduro Roll/FishFinder.
    6. His rain/wind/thorn/bug/bird proof thousand-dollar jacket won't allow it.
    5. Was too busy re-arranging his 500 pounds of soft-sided luggage.
    4. Doesn't recognize a wave in any language other than German.
    3. Too busy splitting lanes/filtering through traffic.
    2. One handed wheelies are not easy.
    1. On single-track trails you stop, not wave.

Top Ten Reasons Why Spyder Ryders Don't Wave Back
    10. They'll NEVER be able to find the horn or turnsignal again, if they move their hand on the grip.
    9. They keep a "Death Grip" on the bars in case of the dreaded DPS failure.
    8. They were too busy trying to figure out how to change playlists on their I-Pod.
    7. They were "Bluetoothing" with their dealer regarding the latest farkle delivery.
    6. They couldn't find the "Auto-Wave" Button. (Hey; It's a Limited!)
    5. Their passenger was distracting them with some nonsense about "Having to stop for a break"...
    4. They were mentally rehearsing the "explanation", that they'll need to give their Spouse for the
    last Farkling episode.
    3. They were trying to remember the best way to cross Nebraska. (Answer: while asleep, in the back of a van!)
    2. They were too terrified to take their eyes off of the display; lest the dreaded "Orange Screen of Death"
    make an appearance.
    1. You crossed paths while they were setting the cruise control, changing the voice on their GPS, raising
    the windshield, and changing the volume on the radio.

Top Ten Reasons Why Conventional Trike Riders Don't Wave Back
    10. Their arms were too tired to raise... no power steering!
    9. Your "Unusual" configuration has them confused. They thought you were going the other way!
    8. They just had hit a pothole, and felt their first bad "Head-Shake". They're not letting go of anything!
    7. They are lost in thought: How much is their Trike worth on trade, for a new Spyder?
    6. They're still laughing at thgemselves for trying to put their feet down at the last stoplight.
    5. The last time they waved at a "foreign" bike; their riding buddies made them buy the beer!
    4. Didn't know WHAT you were, as you went by.
    3. They only wave at conventionals...
    2. They thought that their passenger waved... (She was asleep!)
    1. The glare from all of the chrome had them momentarily blinded.
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 06-22-2018 at 01:24 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

We are lucky, only maybe one of 20 won't wave back and it is not bike type related. I think it is due to not paying attention to the other side at the point of meeting each other. Our bikes are not noisy as Harley's and we could be missed Or is it because my better half rides GoldWing?
    On the other hand we have a friend we ride with once a while, he has Kawasaki and never waives. I didn't ask yet why.
    2017 RT Limited Asphalt Grey with Lamonster RT Spyder Cuff; Lamonster FBB Highway Bracket; Kuryakyn 7597 ISO Trident Pegs; RoadSport Big Mudder Extreme, Magic mirrors, Airhawk R, plastidipped Frunk, Ram Mount Universal X-Grip IV Large, FZ-1 fuze block, Dual USB charger, BajaRon Sway Bar, Black Powder Coated RT Dash Mount Bracket

Spyder Garage

Must be something in the air this year. We are actually getting more waves from the HD and crotch rocket crowd. Still pretty much nothing from the Adventure Bike crowd--.

Life goes on. we try to be friendly with everyone--unless occupied with some serious driving...

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Reasons Spyder riders don't wave back...

- Newbie with death grip on the bars
    - Haven't been laser aligned and wandering all over the road
    - Running wrong air pressures in their tires
    - OEM Kendas squirming all over the road

When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Rarely do I

Rarely do I wave. I don't know maybe I'm just not that cool. I have ridden H-D, Sport Bikes and now the Spyder and just don't really see the need myself. It was the same when I had a Jeep Rubicon all jeeps wanted to wave, no one waves when I'm cruising in my Q7 unless its the one finger wave because they did not like the way I was driving. If I see you I'll most likely return the wave but I don't look for it so i'm sure people think I'm a di*K.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Top Ten Reasons ...

Great stuff, Bob!
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default WHO

WHO CARES.....?
    just ride and enjoy.....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This Guy does!

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Bob I cannot open the video, can you help me out?

Spyder Garage

10. They'll NEVER be able to find the horn or turnsignal again, if they move their hand on the grip.
    Sounds so familiar!
    Never fails.By the time I find the horn button the cager that almost hit me is long gone.
    Julio Aburto

Black Currant 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited

2013 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

OK, I have seen these threads before and stayed out, but this hits too close to home :-) You will see from my sig I also have a Harley Softail CVO. I don't have any leather vests or patches. Have never once been to any HD get together (even though I have owned HD's for the past 15 years), bike night, whatever. My bike was paid for the day I drove it off the dealer lot, and the only group riding I do is twice a year at two charity events for kids. I don't ride an HD for the "lifestyle", and I have no HD clothes or jackets. I ride it for the way you sit into the Softail not on it like so many cruisers. The trademark asynchronous sound of the v-twin is intoxicating and the clean hard tail look of the bike is fantastic. The power of a 110b ci motor built in York, PA is the centerpiece of a CVO. According to surveys done over several years, CVO owners put many more miles on their HD's than other owners. We ride the bike, not compare our latest chrome pieces at a Quaker Steak and Lube Friday night rollout.

Now about this wave business...that's the whole problem....any self-respecting Harley or other two-wheel rider does not wave. It's a point, straight down to the pavement. It was started decades ago, as primarily a reminder to keep the rubber side down and secondarily as a nod to the rider on the oncoming bike.

My problem is that when I am on my wife's spyder and I encounter another spyder, they wave frantically like we are long lost cousins at a family reunion. I truly think two-wheel riders don't take spyder riders seriously due to them waving.

That's why HD and other two-wheel riders don't acknowledge spyder riders a lot of the time, IMO.

Everyone can let the flaming begin, but I didn't start this conversation, only providing context. I get that this thread is mostly just joshing around, but all Harley-Davidson riders are not stereotypes.

Jeff
    2016 F3 Limited in Pearl White-LaMonster GPS mount, LED fog lights, BajaRon anti-sway bar, Doc Humphrey's vibration dampener
    2013 Harley Davidson Softail Breakout CVO/ 110ci of potato-potato goodness
    2016 Ducati Xdiavel/ A street demon with a belt and forward controls

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Love it, well said...

Personally, I use our nod of the head - have done for decades, whatever I was riding - subtle acknowledgement of another rider. The finger pointing to the road doesn't work here cos we ride on the other side of the road - and there's just no way we're letting go of the throttle lol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoxyLady View Post
    OK, I have seen these threads before and stayed out, but this hits too close to home :-) You will see from my sig I also have a Harley Softail CVO. I don't have any leather vests or patches. Have never once been to any HD get together (even though I have owned HD's for the past 15 years), bike night, whatever. My bike was paid for the day I drove it off the dealer lot, and the only group riding I do is twice a year at two charity events for kids. I don't ride an HD for the "lifestyle", and I have no HD clothes or jackets. I ride it for the way you sit into the Softail not on it like so many cruisers. The trademark asynchronous sound of the v-twin is intoxicating and the clean hard tail look of the bike is fantastic. The power of a 110b ci motor built in York, PA is the centerpiece of a CVO. According to surveys done over several years, CVO owners put many more miles on their HD's than other owners. We ride the bike, not compare our latest chrome pieces at a Quaker Steak and Lube Friday night rollout.

Now about this wave business...that's the whole problem....any self-respecting Harley or other two-wheel rider does not wave. It's a point, straight down to the pavement. It was started decades ago, as primarily a reminder to keep the rubber side down and secondarily as a nod to the rider on the oncoming bike.

My problem is that when I am on my wife's spyder and I encounter another spyder, they wave frantically like we are long lost cousins at a family reunion. I truly think two-wheel riders don't take spyder riders seriously due to them waving.

That's why HD and other two-wheel riders don't acknowledge spyder riders a lot of the time, IMO.

Everyone can let the flaming begin, but I didn't start this conversation, only providing context. I get that this thread is mostly just joshing around, but all Harley-Davidson riders are not stereotypes.

Jeff
    IMO--your okay. Nice to hear about this from another perspective.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back
    5. Angry because they just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
    4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
    3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
    1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back
    10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
    9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
    8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
    7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
    6. The espresso machine just finished.
    5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
    4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
    3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
    2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player,
    seat temperature and satellite navigation system.
    1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

Top 10 Reasons Sport bikers Don't Wave:
    10. They have not been riding long enough to know they're supposed to.
    9. They're going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.
    8. You weren't wearing bright enough gear.
    7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they'll rip it out of the socket.
    6. They're too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.
    5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don't want to unbalance
    themselves while standing on the tank.
    4. Their skin tight-Kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.
    3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
    2. It's too hard to do one-handed stoppies.
    1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don't Wave Back
    10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.
    9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."
    8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgment.
    7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.
    6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.
    5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!.
    4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.
    3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.
    2. You haven't been properly introduced.
    1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

Top Ten Reasons Why Dual Sport Riders Don't Wave Back
    10. Vibration of knobby tires prevented the rider from taking his hand off the bars.
    9. MX style safety gear was too bright to see you wave.
    8. His front fender prevents you seeing him wave back.
    7. Was too busy configuring his GPS/Enduro Roll/FishFinder.
    6. His rain/wind/thorn/bug/bird proof thousand-dollar jacket won't allow it.
    5. Was too busy re-arranging his 500 pounds of soft-sided luggage.
    4. Doesn't recognize a wave in any language other than German.
    3. Too busy splitting lanes/filtering through traffic.
    2. One handed wheelies are not easy.
    1. On single-track trails you stop, not wave.

9. They keep a "Death Grip" on the bars in case of the dreaded DPS failure.
    8. They were too busy trying to figure out how to change playlists on their I-Pod.
    7. They were "Bluetoothing" with their dealer regarding the latest farkle delivery.
    6. They couldn't find the "Auto-Wave" Button. (Hey; It's a Limited!)
    5. Their passenger was distracting them with some nonsense about "Having to stop for a break"...
    4. They were mentally rehearsing the "explanation", that they'll need to give their Spouse for the
    last Farkling episode.
    3. They were trying to remember the best way to cross Nebraska. (Answer: while asleep, in the back of a van!)
    2. They were too terrified to take their eyes off of the display; lest the dreaded "Orange Screen of Death"
    make an appearance.
    1. You crossed paths while they were setting the cruise control, changing the voice on their GPS, raising
    the windshield, and changing the volume on the radio.

Top Ten Reasons Why Conventional Trike Riders Don't Wave Back
    10. Their arms were too tired to raise... no power steering!
    9. Your "Unusual" configuration has them confused. They thought you were going the other way!
    8. They just had hit a pothole, and felt their first bad "Head-Shake". They're not letting go of anything!
    7. They are lost in thought: How much is their Trike worth on trade, for a new Spyder?
    6. They're still laughing at thgemselves for trying to put their feet down at the last stoplight.
    5. The last time they waved at a "foreign" bike; their riding buddies made them buy the beer!
    4. Didn't know WHAT you were, as you went by.
    3. They only wave at conventionals...
    2. They thought that their passenger waved... (She was asleep!)
    1. The glare from all of the chrome had them momentarily blinded.
    Now that's a fair and balanced view! Thanks Bob.
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoxyLady View Post

Jeff

Correct and a point I've made previously as well.
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue