Spyder Garage

Default What is the labor time for a ....

a rear tire replacement.....2 hour quote seems high to me...then 1 more hour to check alignment....

and is 8k on original rear tire on a RT riding two up (525 lbs) seems right?

Comments Please!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Genradman View Post
    a rear tire replacement.....2 hour quote seems high to me...then 1 more hour to check alignment....

Comments Please!!!
    I had a rear tire replaced in 2015 ( General Altimax RT43) at the time the dealer ship charged me $79.00 labor rate. Now it is $89.00 labor rate. The can am dealership is in Vermont.

Do you have Kenda's on the rear tire?

I have roughly 16,000 mile on the rear tire, The Kenda tire was changed @ 5,824 miles. Mileage on spyder is 23,000.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Alignment by itself should be no more than a 1/2 hour job.....and that includes enough time for the mechanic to scratch, sniff, & spit. Rear tire replacement should be about one hour INCLUDING alignment check. If your dealer is charging you 2 hours for the tire plus an additional hour for alignment he must need extra money for his kids college tuition and wants it from you.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Tire and align takes about 1 hour. My shop did it in a bit less and was 125.00 for all. The OEM tire lasts only about 6K. thats why most have dumped the OEM tires and gone to better. My rear tire was replaced at 7K an now have 24K on my Altima and still looks like new.
    129 for the OEM tire from the dealer and have to replace it 2X a year!, NO WAY!!!
    Many links here on tires and what people bought and like. Use it, will save you BIG $$$ in the long and short end.

Spyder Garage

The 2014 RT flat rate manual lists 2.0 hr which must include tire replacement and adjustment of rear wheel. The dealer I use for rear tire charges 1 hr.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Most dealers go by the flat rate book. That is where the two hour quote came from.

Mileage will vary. I get about 15K on my Kenda rear tires. This number holds on all five spyders owned. The 2014 came with a softer rubber compound, that one got me 8,900.

I am very conservative in my riding. Many on here have got considerably less mileage.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Sheesh, that's somewhat more than TWICE what I got out of the original OE Spec Kenda; it's still close to twice what I got out of a second Kenda rear that was supposedly 'a better and longer lasting compound'; and yet that was only ONE of the multiple & significant reasons that I no longer run the OE Kenda tires!!

You should ask your dealer to fit something else, IMHO almost ANYTHING else that has better load & speed ratings etc will be better!! And if your dealer says 'No!' (which seems to be the common reply to that request!) maybe you should consider the action you'd take if a car dealer who'd sold you a brand new car with such poorly performing tires refused to fit anything else when you took it in for service!? I really can't understand why all you mob over there on that continent are putting up with such poor service?!?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default Rear tire

We do a lot of these. 2 hours is not unrealistic, remove, replace tire, balance, install, check alignment. If everything goes right! SpyderAnn lets me help, especially with the tire off/on the rim. Once it is balanced, it goes back on. Most shops don’t have 2 techs working together, like we do. 25 years, we seem to work well together. Doing a tire tomorrow, in fact. I’ll time it!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

a rear tire replacement.....2 hour quote seems high to me...then 1 more hour to check alignment..and is 8k on original rear tire on a RT riding two up (525 lbs) seems right? Comments Please!!!
    2 hours is the standard, but that should include aligning the belt on the rear sprocket. If the belt was set right to begin with and the mechanic knows what he's doing then it shouldn't need 'aligning' again after reinstalling the wheel.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-22-2018 at 09:49 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I just turned 9K on my 16 RTL this morning, we ride 2 up about 70% of the time and my rear time isn't even down to the wear bars yet. I must be lucky. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
    I just turned 9K on my 16 RTL this morning, we ride 2 up about 70% of the time and my rear time isn't even down to the wear bars yet. I must be lucky. Chris

I have a late 2014 rt ltd and mostly ride 2 up,7500 miles and my rear tire isn't even wore 50%.I feel lucky too having one of the newer rubber compound rear tires.