Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default RT Limited Owner Wants To Know Pros/Cons/Advice Of Moving To a F3 Limited

I would like to hear from the Spyderlover members who have made the change from an RTL to an F3L. Our story is this: I bought my '15 RTL in early 2015, well before the F3 was available. We ride 2-up 95% of the time. As a result of my seating position(6'2" with 32" inseam and 90kg) on the RTL I have started having left hip cramping. I can get temporary relief by putting my left foot out on the road peg. I am seriously considering going to an F3 Limited because of the different seating position and adjustable foot board capability.
    Being well aware of the saying "Happy Wife, Happy Life". All I can say is that my wife is 4' 11". In straight stock form, she's not a happy camper. The relationship of the passenger seat to the passenger backrest causes her to lean back too far. This angle is made less steep/more upright with the addition of the new BRP armrest.
    Any/All advice will be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Listen to your wife. You can be made happy with other seats, pegs, more breaks, etc. You can't be made happy with an unhappy wife.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

The F3L has less space between you and her backrest which might be better, for she will not be leaning back. But the floor boards are not adjustable. Take her for a test ride. Only way to find out if it will work for her.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    But the floor boards are not adjustable.
    Thanks for that "heads-up". We hadn't given that aspect any thought.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    The F3L has less space between you and her backrest which might be better, for she will not be leaning back. But the floor boards are not adjustable. Take her for a test ride. Only way to find out if it will work for her.
    Spyderpops makes a passenger seat extender for the F3t and F3L.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    I would like to hear from the Spyderlover members who have made the change from an RTL to an F3L. Our story is this: I bought my '15 RTL in early 2015, well before the F3 was available. We ride 2-up 95% of the time. As a result of my seating position(6'2" with 32" inseam and 90kg) on the RTL I have started having left hip cramping. I can get temporary relief by putting my left foot out on the road peg. I am seriously considering going to an F3 Limited because of the different seating position and adjustable foot board capability.
    Being well aware of the saying "Happy Wife, Happy Life". All I can say is that my wife is 4' 11". In straight stock form, she's not a happy camper. The relationship of the passenger seat to the passenger backrest causes her to lean back too far. This angle is made less steep/more upright with the addition of the new BRP armrest.
    Any/All advice will be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Mike
    I would not presume to tell you what to do; comfort is subjective and your own opinion is the only one that counts. My advice is to move cautiously on any trade.

You and your wife are very close to the size of me and my wife (6'-4" and 5'-0" respectively). In our case, we chose the RT over the F3 because I felt back strain even sitting on the F3 in the showroom. I also felt very uncomfortable with the control issue with my legs way out front, and with my 35" inseam legs, there is a ridge on the F3 that was going to dig into my knees. Therefore the F3 was easy for me to rule out. Also, my wife absolutely loves the throne behind me on the RT. This brings me to my initial advice to go slow on trading. I'm not saying the F3 wouldn't work, because comfort is subjective and we're not the same person. However, since you already have an RT, instead of rushing to trade for an F3, I encourage you to first try one of LaMonster's highway pegs to move your legs out front into a semi-F3 position. If stretching your legs out is your main reason for wanting an F3, highway pegs on the RT ought to address it. The FBB highway pegs would let your legs stretch out pretty far. In other words, it would be a $300 risk versus ??? to trade for an F3. OTOH, maybe you just like the F3 better. Nothing wrong with that. To each his own. Good luck!
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Can't help with the RT

I went from a RTS & RTL to the F3T, and for me and my wife I wish I had stuck with the RT because with my wife a bit on the big side the F3T is not as comfortable for me as the RT. Now when it comes to the F3T my youngest daughter who is (I think) 5' 4" said she likes the F3T better because she can reach the hand grips without having to slouch while ryding. She also said she can now see over my helmet (I'm 5' 9"), so she can see what is in front better telling me the rear seat might be higher.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I want to say thank you to all who have replied to my inquiry about going to an F3 Limited. Each reply:
    1. Gave me something to look at more closely in my RTL vs F3L comparison, and
    2. Brought up some aspects of the F3 platform that I can relate to from both sitting on them @my local dealer, and my first solo test ride.
    Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

While the passenger footrests on the F3 are not adjustable there are ways to customize them for your wife. You can strap blocks to the stock pegs to add needed height to them, I wouldn’t let that be the deciding factor.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I just picked up a 2017 F3L and the floorboards are adjustable. I can put my feet out far or place them under me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnv50 View Post
    I just picked up a 2017 F3L and the floorboards are adjustable. I can put my feet out far or place them under me.
    Are your Passenger Floorboards adjustable?????? That's what the previous posters were commenting on.
    Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    instead of rushing to trade for an F3, I encourage you to first try one of LaMonster's highway pegs to move your legs out front into a semi-F3 position. If stretching your legs out is your main reason for wanting an F3, highway pegs on the RT ought to address it. The FBB highway pegs would let your legs stretch out pretty far.
    John, he may already have the highway pegs, based on what he said in his OP.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe first try a comfort seat for you, the driver; that gives you an extra 2" of room in the cockpit. You probably don't want to use a backrest, as that robs even more room from the passenger. Also, somewhere I read you can get a thinner passenger backrest.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I never liked the F3's mainly because the ones on the show room were always in the #3 position. very uncomfortable. Once I sat in one with it in the #5 position I know this was for me. If you are tall and your wife is short, get a Ultimate tall boy seat. It will give you an extra inch and maybe your Wife will like the fit better. If she can not reach the floor boards, you can probably get an extension made at a metal shop and paint it.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Maybe first try a comfort seat for you, the driver; that gives you an extra 2" of room in the cockpit. You probably don't want to use a backrest, as that robs even more room from the passenger. Also, somewhere I read you can get a thinner passenger backrest.
    My wife is "a little teapot". I have my OEM seat, no backrest, and an Ultimate passenger backrest for her.

Active Member hillbillywhisperer's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2 up on a 17 F3 Limited with Ultimate Seat. Comfort not an issue.

IMG_6262.jpg