Thread: Cat bypass

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Cat bypass

I was reading how to on installing new muffler and cat bypass at the same time but he took down the muffler and cat as one unit but took them apart afterward to pry the gasket off. It didn’t make sense, unless you can not buy that gasket. �� is that so?
    Last edited by aka1004; 06-20-2018 at 07:22 AM.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

For What year/model Spyder? I just put my 998 V-Twin Cat Bypass on and I pulled the Akrapovic Sport silencer off first., then teh Cat, transferred the stock Cat's Cat to final muffler gasket to the Cat delete, then mounted the cat delete and then the Akrapovic. It was just easier for me doing that alone.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    For What year/model Spyder? I just put my 998 V-Twin Cat Bypass on and I pulled the Akrapovic Sport silencer off first., then teh Cat, transferred the stock Cat's Cat to final muffler gasket to the Cat delete, then mounted the cat delete and then the Akrapovic. It was just easier for me doing that alone.
    It was a 2011 RT and a fresh install, muffler and cat bypass. He said it’s easier to pull them out together with help of gravity. Ok , that’s understandable but why did he have to pull them apart after they were off the Spyder? Just to scrape off gasket to reuse? That’s the part I don’t understand. Don’t they sell those gasket?

I have 15 RS and Akrapovic is being delivered on Saturday but i see how people are saying it’s hard to take muffler off the cat(may need to cut bolts off) so I thought I would wait till I get the cat bypass too.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    It was a 2011 RT and a fresh install, muffler and cat bypass. He said it’s easier to pull them out together with help of gravity. Ok , that’s understandable but why did he have to pull them apart after they were off the Spyder? Just to scrape off gasket to reuse? That’s the part I don’t understand. Don’t they sell those gasket?

I have 15 RS and Akrapovic is being delivered on Saturday but i see how people are saying it’s hard to take muffler off the cat(may need to cut bolts off) so I thought I would wait till I get the cat bypass too.
    I’d wait and do it all at once. If you have to pull the stock cat off to install the new muffler you’d likely need new gaskets and then you’d need them again when you install the bypass

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

yes that is the plan, wait till I have both and save the stock muffler and cat attached, just in case.
    I just didn't understand why he pull them apart after taking muffler and cat together in one piece. am I missing something or is it really just to save few dollars on gasket? it seems like a lot of work for that purpose.

part of his instructions:

Step 7. With the 2 pipes now free, you will see that the cat and muffler are still hanging on something. There is a big rubber hanger in the middle of the Spyder that you can see from the left side. I removed the jack from underneath the muffler and kept a towel under the muffler to keep it from getting marked up and so the cat and muffler are hanging free. From the left side you will need to pull the rubber hanger towards the left while pushing the cat and muffler to the right. It will take some work, but it will slide out and drop everything free. Now you can pull the muffler and cat out from the right side again keeping a towel or blanket underneath the muffler to keep it from getting scratched.

Step 8. Now for those bolts, nuts and springs holding the cat and muffler together. I am told that BRP put Red Loctite on them and require something like 480 degrees to get the Loctite to loosen up. I don’t think that is a good idea to try to heat it up like that while it is on the bike as there is too much plastic and other things there that you don’t want to burn up. But now that you have it all off in one unit, heating it up to remove the bolts is one option. I think it was a 13mm nut and it is a Hex head bolt (not a Torx – I made that mistake before I found out about the Loctite. I managed to get 1 bolt out but stripped the other horribly.)

The other option, which is what I did, is just to cut the 2 bolts with a hacksaw (or your favorite cutting tool). The springs are somewhat loaded so I just put a rag over the spring to keep it from shooting too far. The hex head bolts seem to be pretty soft which is why the heads strip easily and why I opted to cut them.

Step 9. Now that the muffler and cat are apart, use a flat putty knife to carefully pry the doughnut type gasket off of the end of the cat and put it on the new cat delete.