Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default GPS and Cell Phone Mount

Hi all!
    I recently purchased a 2011 RSS SE5.
    I really want to be able to mount my GPS and my cell phone to the bike and have the ability to charge them.
    I have looked through past posts, but am not seeing how to mount either of these things, or where to run charging cables from.
    Is it possible to do this? My handlebars to not look conducive to a ram mount. they are too thick.
    I have the Madstad windscreen and it has a very solid feeling "plate" that attaches to the bike. this would be a great place to mount a GPS from. Anyone done so?
    Will it mess with the computer and electronics to have 2 power sources? I have heard that the early spyders do not like having their electronics tampered with.

Went on a ride this weekend with a group and would have liked to have had my GPS so that I could see where we were going. And, my cell phone ran out of battery while we were out riding, so it would be nice to have that hooked up to a charging cable.

Any help, pictures, suggestions, advice would be appreciated.
    and, if you are local to me and know how to hook up the cables, I would gladly pay you to do so!!
    2011 RSS SE5
    2011 RSS , BajaRon Orange/Matte Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hollybry View Post
    2011 RSS SE5. I really want to be able to mount my GPS and my cell phone to the bike and have the ability to charge them. Is it possible to do this? My handlebars to not look conducive to a ram mount. they are too thick. I have the Madstad windscreen and it has a very solid feeling "plate" that attaches to the bike. this would be a great place to mount a GPS from. Anyone done so? Will it mess with the computer and electronics to have 2 power sources? I have heard that the early spyders do not like having their electronics tampered with. Went on a ride this weekend with a group and would have liked to have had my GPS so that I could see where we were going. And, my cell phone ran out of battery while we were out riding, so it would be nice to have that hooked up to a charging cable.
    What kind of GPS are you trying to mount?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

It is a Tom Tom Rider that I had on my other bike.
    it can mount with a ram mount. The windscreen support plate looks like a perfect location. But i have no idea how to run power to it.
    2011 RSS SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is a Tom Tom Rider that I had on my other bike. it can mount with a ram mount. The windscreen support plate looks like a perfect location. But i have no idea how to run power to it.
    Here's a place to start as far as handlebar mounting options http://www.motorcycledave.com/phone-gps-mounts/

Do any of those work for you? We'll need a picture of the windshield if you want to mount there ... I can't picture what you're talking about.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is a Tom Tom Rider that I had on my other bike.
    it can mount with a ram mount. The windscreen support plate looks like a perfect location. But i have no idea how to run power to it.
    This is probably the best source for providing 12v power at your handlebars. https://spyderextras.com/shop/home/1...+STATION+DOCKS

You will want to run the harness directly to the battery with an inline fuse. I believe these products have everything needed to do that.

Where is the OEM accessory outlet on the RSS? I don't know.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

The motorcycle Dave's link might have some that will work. I will check into that further. Not sure on the other one though. I don't think my handlebar center would take any of those mounts.
    I will take a picture of the windscreen plate and try to post it shortly.
    Thanks for the help!
    2011 RSS SE5

Spyder Garage

I also have the Tom tom ryder, and use this mount (or at least the one by JT, whom I see is no longer a sponsor on this site)

http://store.valueaccessories.net/Sp...ompatible.aspx

I bought a 6" Ram arm and it works really well, I like having the GPS up above the dash, where I do not have to look down from the road to see it. Yes, I know it also blue tooths to my helmet, but it is also handy to see the screen. I ran the wire down the front of the bike, through the center windshield arm to the frunk. It has been there for 2 season, with no issues at all.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Default tom tom

Hi all!
    I recently purchased a 2011 RSS SE5.
    I really want to be able to mount my GPS and my cell phone to the bike and have the ability to charge them.
    I have looked through past posts, but am not seeing how to mount either of these things, or where to run charging cables from.
    Is it possible to do this? My handlebars to not look conducive to a ram mount. they are too thick.
    I have the Madstad windscreen and it has a very solid feeling "plate" that attaches to the bike. this would be a great place to mount a GPS from. Anyone done so?
    Will it mess with the computer and electronics to have 2 power sources? I have heard that the early spyders do not like having their electronics tampered with.

Went on a ride this weekend with a group and would have liked to have had my GPS so that I could see where we were going. And, my cell phone ran out of battery while we were out riding, so it would be nice to have that hooked up to a charging cable.

Any help, pictures, suggestions, advice would be appreciated.
    and, if you are local to me and know how to hook up the cables, I would gladly pay you to do so!!
    I just mounted a GPS just like yours from a wing. My RSS has the raised handle pars and I used a u-bolt on the lower bar that came with the tom tom and that mounted the ram ball then the ram extension to the gps. Mounted great.

Now since most of the wiring goes through the esm and most wiring is not switched with the key, which would drain your battery. I thought of the direct to battery route but since the gps uses very little power and the brake lights are easily reached. I used the rear light as the power source which is already fused. It works fine
    Done all of Canada except NWT and parts of Australia, New Zealand and areas of Europe

Spyder Garage

Default Phone/GPS mount

I have a 2011 RTS. I was at a Spyder rally in Springfield back in 2012. There was a vendor that was selling a bolt that replaces one of the 4 bolts in the handle bar. That bolt was then attached to a 1" Ram Mount ball and then the phone attachment on that. I had a 12v outlet mounted on my dash in the grill of the left speaker. It works great.

RanHag
    ESCI LED Brake Light, Ram mounts including ATV mount, mug holder and phone/GPS holder. Lamonster's NBV highway brackets. My version of Running Boards, Skid Plate, Bajaron's anti-sway bar, Dual flag bracket and flags. Bad Boy air horn. BRP air deflectors, Non-BRP hitch and USA Minitrailer Nomad, SENA Bluetooth Dongle.

Spyder Garage

Default Phone/GPS mount

One other item. I used this mount for my mug holder.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    ESCI LED Brake Light, Ram mounts including ATV mount, mug holder and phone/GPS holder. Lamonster's NBV highway brackets. My version of Running Boards, Skid Plate, Bajaron's anti-sway bar, Dual flag bracket and flags. Bad Boy air horn. BRP air deflectors, Non-BRP hitch and USA Minitrailer Nomad, SENA Bluetooth Dongle.

Spyder Garage

Thanks RanHag. But as the picture shows, I dont have those bolts on the handlebar. So I have to look for an alternative method.
    do you have a picture of the 12V outlet you mounted? Did you run the wires directly to battery or somewhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by RanHag View Post
    I have a 2011 RTS. I was at a Spyder rally in Springfield back in 2012. There was a vendor that was selling a bolt that replaces one of the 4 bolts in the handle bar. That bolt was then attached to a 1" Ram Mount ball and then the phone attachment on that. I had a 12v outlet mounted on my dash in the grill of the left speaker. It works great.

RanHag
    2011 RSS SE5