Spyder Garage

Default GPS and Cell Phone Mount

Hi all!
    I recently purchased a 2011 RSS SE5.
    I really want to be able to mount my GPS and my cell phone to the bike and have the ability to charge them.
    I have looked through past posts, but am not seeing how to mount either of these things, or where to run charging cables from.
    Is it possible to do this? My handlebars to not look conducive to a ram mount. they are too thick.
    I have the Madstad windscreen and it has a very solid feeling "plate" that attaches to the bike. this would be a great place to mount a GPS from. Anyone done so?
    Will it mess with the computer and electronics to have 2 power sources? I have heard that the early spyders do not like having their electronics tampered with.

Went on a ride this weekend with a group and would have liked to have had my GPS so that I could see where we were going. And, my cell phone ran out of battery while we were out riding, so it would be nice to have that hooked up to a charging cable.

Any help, pictures, suggestions, advice would be appreciated.
    and, if you are local to me and know how to hook up the cables, I would gladly pay you to do so!!
    2011 RSS SE5
    2011 RSS , BajaRon Orange/Matte Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hollybry View Post
    2011 RSS SE5. I really want to be able to mount my GPS and my cell phone to the bike and have the ability to charge them. Is it possible to do this? My handlebars to not look conducive to a ram mount. they are too thick. I have the Madstad windscreen and it has a very solid feeling "plate" that attaches to the bike. this would be a great place to mount a GPS from. Anyone done so? Will it mess with the computer and electronics to have 2 power sources? I have heard that the early spyders do not like having their electronics tampered with. Went on a ride this weekend with a group and would have liked to have had my GPS so that I could see where we were going. And, my cell phone ran out of battery while we were out riding, so it would be nice to have that hooked up to a charging cable.
    What kind of GPS are you trying to mount?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

It is a Tom Tom Rider that I had on my other bike.
    it can mount with a ram mount. The windscreen support plate looks like a perfect location. But i have no idea how to run power to it.
    2011 RSS SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is a Tom Tom Rider that I had on my other bike. it can mount with a ram mount. The windscreen support plate looks like a perfect location. But i have no idea how to run power to it.
    Here's a place to start as far as handlebar mounting options http://www.motorcycledave.com/phone-gps-mounts/

Do any of those work for you? We'll need a picture of the windshield if you want to mount there ... I can't picture what you're talking about.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is a Tom Tom Rider that I had on my other bike.
    it can mount with a ram mount. The windscreen support plate looks like a perfect location. But i have no idea how to run power to it.
    This is probably the best source for providing 12v power at your handlebars. https://spyderextras.com/shop/home/1...+STATION+DOCKS

You will want to run the harness directly to the battery with an inline fuse. I believe these products have everything needed to do that.

Where is the OEM accessory outlet on the RSS? I don't know.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

The motorcycle Dave's link might have some that will work. I will check into that further. Not sure on the other one though. I don't think my handlebar center would take any of those mounts.
    I will take a picture of the windscreen plate and try to post it shortly.
    Thanks for the help!
    2011 RSS SE5

Spyder Garage

I also have the Tom tom ryder, and use this mount (or at least the one by JT, whom I see is no longer a sponsor on this site)

http://store.valueaccessories.net/Sp...ompatible.aspx

I bought a 6" Ram arm and it works really well, I like having the GPS up above the dash, where I do not have to look down from the road to see it. Yes, I know it also blue tooths to my helmet, but it is also handy to see the screen. I ran the wire down the front of the bike, through the center windshield arm to the frunk. It has been there for 2 season, with no issues at all.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

ok, I'm blind... JT is still a sponsor, and here's the link to the dash mount I have

http://spyderstore.com/index.php?rou...&product_id=51

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    I also have the Tom tom ryder, and use this mount (or at least the one by JT, whom I see is no longer a sponsor on this site)

http://store.valueaccessories.net/Sp...ompatible.aspx

I bought a 6" Ram arm and it works really well, I like having the GPS up above the dash, where I do not have to look down from the road to see it. Yes, I know it also blue tooths to my helmet, but it is also handy to see the screen. I ran the wire down the front of the bike, through the center windshield arm to the frunk. It has been there for 2 season, with no issues at all.
    She has an RSS 2011
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

completely missed that, sorry

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Here are some pictures. One is a side look of my handlebars, one shows the center of the bars, and one is of the windscreen plate.
    The windscreen plate seems to be made of some heavy steel. Seems to me a person could drill a few holes and mount a ram ball mount on it, put on an extension arm and secure the gps right there.
    20180619_191619.jpg
    20180619_191525.jpg
    20180619_191502.jpg
    2011 RSS SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here are some pictures. One is a side look of my handlebars, one shows the center of the bars, and one is of the windscreen plate. The windscreen plate seems to be made of some heavy steel. Seems to me a person could drill a few holes and mount a ram ball mount on it, put on an extension arm and secure the gps right there.
    20180619_191619.jpg
    20180619_191525.jpg
    20180619_191502.jpg
    I think most RAM mounts use 1/4-20 bolts, which are also the ones used for camera tripod mounts, etc. I think you are right; you should be able to find a couple of RAM 1" ball base plates, use Stainless steel 1/4-20 screws and nylon nuts to attach them to the windshield mounting bracket, and then use whatever length RAM type attachment arms to bring both the iPhone mount and the GPS mount toward you and at the height you want.

Then, it's just a matter of finding a 12v source for your GPS and a USB 5.5v source for your iPhone. Does your bike have an accessory outlet (cigarette lighter type typically) somewhere at the front of the bike that you could tap into for electrical power?

Here's a comprehensive list of RAM components; they're available at a lot of stores including online; just Google them.https://www.rammount.com/components
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

No. There is not an accessory outlet on the bike. I do t think it matters, but I have an android phone. Not an iPhone. On my other bike, we hooked a usb outlet up and I just plug my phone into that.
    2011 RSS SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No. There is not an accessory outlet on the bike. I do t think it matters, but I have an android phone. Not an iPhone. On my other bike, we hooked a usb outlet up and I just plug my phone into that.
    Then you will need to mount an accessory outlet and wire it to the battery. Generic kits for that are readily available.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default USB Power up on dash/top of Dash

I did this on my RT so my phone is always charging while riding. The Motopower 0609A 3.1Amp Waterproof Motorcycle USB Charger Kit SAE to USB Adapter even has a waterproof cover when you don't have a charge cord plugged in. Got it at Amazon before I knew MCDave carried all this kind of product.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default tom tom

Hi all!
    I recently purchased a 2011 RSS SE5.
    I really want to be able to mount my GPS and my cell phone to the bike and have the ability to charge them.
    I have looked through past posts, but am not seeing how to mount either of these things, or where to run charging cables from.
    Is it possible to do this? My handlebars to not look conducive to a ram mount. they are too thick.
    I have the Madstad windscreen and it has a very solid feeling "plate" that attaches to the bike. this would be a great place to mount a GPS from. Anyone done so?
    Will it mess with the computer and electronics to have 2 power sources? I have heard that the early spyders do not like having their electronics tampered with.

Went on a ride this weekend with a group and would have liked to have had my GPS so that I could see where we were going. And, my cell phone ran out of battery while we were out riding, so it would be nice to have that hooked up to a charging cable.

Any help, pictures, suggestions, advice would be appreciated.
    and, if you are local to me and know how to hook up the cables, I would gladly pay you to do so!!
    I just mounted a GPS just like yours from a wing. My RSS has the raised handle pars and I used a u-bolt on the lower bar that came with the tom tom and that mounted the ram ball then the ram extension to the gps. Mounted great.

Now since most of the wiring goes through the esm and most wiring is not switched with the key, which would drain your battery. I thought of the direct to battery route but since the gps uses very little power and the brake lights are easily reached. I used the rear light as the power source which is already fused. It works fine
    Done all of Canada except NWT and parts of Australia, New Zealand and areas of Europe

Spyder Garage

Default Phone/GPS mount

I have a 2011 RTS. I was at a Spyder rally in Springfield back in 2012. There was a vendor that was selling a bolt that replaces one of the 4 bolts in the handle bar. That bolt was then attached to a 1" Ram Mount ball and then the phone attachment on that. I had a 12v outlet mounted on my dash in the grill of the left speaker. It works great.

RanHag
    ESCI LED Brake Light, Ram mounts including ATV mount, mug holder and phone/GPS holder. Lamonster's NBV highway brackets. My version of Running Boards, Skid Plate, Bajaron's anti-sway bar, Dual flag bracket and flags. Bad Boy air horn. BRP air deflectors, Non-BRP hitch and USA Minitrailer Nomad, SENA Bluetooth Dongle.

Spyder Garage

Default Phone/GPS mount

One other item. I used this mount for my mug holder.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    ESCI LED Brake Light, Ram mounts including ATV mount, mug holder and phone/GPS holder. Lamonster's NBV highway brackets. My version of Running Boards, Skid Plate, Bajaron's anti-sway bar, Dual flag bracket and flags. Bad Boy air horn. BRP air deflectors, Non-BRP hitch and USA Minitrailer Nomad, SENA Bluetooth Dongle.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All Spyder has 12v outlet lead on left side under plastic, usually zip-tied. You can use $35 brp outlet that you can install in the frunk or generic $6 outlet that you can zip tie but I don’t use any outlet in a car or bike. I use battery pack for clean electricity. Electronics and smartphone costs too much these days to feed dirty electricity.

You can use $38 ram mount that mounts behind the left or right multi-function housing (2 screws out then replace with bracket and longer bolt) and universal ram mount phone holder, both available at value accessory. I did bolt a $9 ram mount directly on the handle bar on 09 too.
    Yoke ram Mount will probably fit too and that’s like $16.

Both of these take minimal mechanic’s ability. Just look for black rubber boot after you take 2 left side panels off for 12v lead.

Yoke Mount. First up to 3” so it may fit around the round part of handlebar.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aka1004; 06-27-2018 at 07:48 AM.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

Thanks RanHag. But as the picture shows, I dont have those bolts on the handlebar. So I have to look for an alternative method.
    do you have a picture of the 12V outlet you mounted? Did you run the wires directly to battery or somewhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by RanHag View Post
    I have a 2011 RTS. I was at a Spyder rally in Springfield back in 2012. There was a vendor that was selling a bolt that replaces one of the 4 bolts in the handle bar. That bolt was then attached to a 1" Ram Mount ball and then the phone attachment on that. I had a 12v outlet mounted on my dash in the grill of the left speaker. It works great.

RanHag
    2011 RSS SE5

Spyder Garage

Interesting! So there is already a 12V outlet lead on the left side under the plastic? i will look for that. Thank you!
    I did just buy a Ram Mount that attaches with an adjustable strap to the handlebars. I have not hooked it up yet, but I think it will work for my phone.
    Can you tell me more about this battery pack? That sounds like an interesting alternative. Will it charge my phone and run GPS simultaneously? Where did you mount it? How did you run the wires?

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    All Spyder has 12v outlet lead on left side under plastic, usually zip-tied. You can use $35 brp outlet that you can install in the frunk or generic $6 outlet that you can zip tie but I don’t use any outlet in a car or bike. I use battery pack for clean electricity. Electronics and smartphone costs too much these days to feed dirty electricity.

You can use $38 ram mount that mounts behind the left or right multi-function housing (2 screws out then replace with bracket and longer bolt) and universal ram mount phone holder, both available at value accessory. I did bolt a $9 ram mount directly on the handle bar on 09 too.
    Yoke ram Mount will probably fit too and that’s like $16.

Both of these take minimal mechanic’s ability. Just look for black rubber boot after you take 2 left side panels off for 12v lead.

Yoke Mount. First up to 3” so it may fit around the round part of handlebar.
    2011 RSS SE5

Spyder Garage

I have this on my 2017 F3 Limited and really like it. Handles my iphone great.
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...SABEgKu_fD_BwE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Interesting! So there is already a 12V outlet lead on the left side under the plastic? i will look for that. Thank you!
    I did just buy a Ram Mount that attaches with an adjustable strap to the handlebars. I have not hooked it up yet, but I think it will work for my phone.
    Can you tell me more about this battery pack? That sounds like an interesting alternative. Will it charge my phone and run GPS simultaneously? Where did you mount it? How did you run the wires?
    It’s a battery pack I use everyday for my iPhone as I use the phone a lot and needs charging once or twice a day. Battery pack is good for 7-8 charges so it lasts me few days. I would just throw the battery pack underneath the windshield when I need it but you can embed a 6’ cable from the frunk, zip tied to where ever you need it to be and leave the battery pack in the frunk. But starting with a fully charged phone in the morning, I’ve been fine with a quick charge when I stop for lunch or something. Battery pack travels with me 100% of time in vehicle, flights, etc so I’m used to it but others may feel like it’s a hassle so it’s up to you and I have no idea how much electricity a gps would use.

If you do 12v outlet, look for black rubber boot zip tied close to frunk.

I chose this one because it can charge my iPhone, iPad and MacBook when some will only charge phones.
    https://www.amazon.com/TONV-20000mah...mah+tonv&psc=1
    It will charge 2 devices simultaneously with usb quick charge and usb-c.
    Last edited by aka1004; 06-28-2018 at 08:27 PM.
    6 states down 42 states to go