Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Hot weather Northern ryder

This should start a firestorm, though I am looking for good advice from the southern Ryders or those with experience ryding in HOT sunny climates.

I live in Ohio, though we have our hot days, they tend not to be brutal as I know they can be in the south. I need to make a trip on the Spyder to Florida. Please offer tricks or tips on clothing options, to include pants, shirts, vests, whatever. Hydrate, hydrate and hydrate, yes I know.

If you offer advice on a clothing purchase please be specific.

Thank you in advance for your advice,
    Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

I may not be the best advice on this as I expose myself and endure heat riding off road bicycles long distances year round here in Florida, so I am conditioned for the heat a bit.

However, regardless of conditioning, there are several things that are essential survival things to do beyond drink water.

Use a high quality sports sunscreen that is fully waterproof. Personally it is Banna Boat brand, Sport Performance for us, SPF50. Be absolutely positive you get your neck well protected and reapply if needed.

If your Spyder does not have adjustable vents, remove the fixed deflectors. You will want the added airflow. I tested this before spending money on adjustable vents. Adjustables are best, but removed is ok and far better than installed.

Contrary to what seems logical, ride in long pants and long sleeves, even with gloves. The more sune off you the better. Color is important as is fabric. Usually light tan colors work well. Our ride jackets are well meshedwith a lot of airflow, very important.

As for pants, I prefer cotton cargos with a good but loose fit. If I know I am riding a long ways, I will use padded bicycle shorts, yes the lycra type in place of conventional undies.

In regards to a shirt, there are many Coolmax or similar type fairly loose shirts these days, essentially, you are after a wicking type, that pulls sweat and helps keep you cool and dry. Yes, you must drink to replenish fluids, but you do not want to drown in a soggy set of clothes.

I suggest light socks, again coolmax is good. You may need to sunscreen legs if skin is exposed.

Motocross gloves on closeout are a good deal and keep your hands from cooking. They are performance oriented, will get soggy but breathe well.

Beyond drinking just water, you might consider snacks bicycle riders use. We will eat Shot Blocks, a small cube containing essentials beyond just water. Taste is good and kind of like eating jelly candy.

Spyder Garage

Use a Camelbak or similar hydration pack and sip all day long. Do be careful about drinking too much water in large individual quantities because it can cause hyponatremia. On very, very hot days I may supplement with Gatorade or Powerade cut 50:50 with water. Straight it's just too sweet for my taste. I snack on peanut butter crackers.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

What happen to ATGATT ? Seems to me that alot of riders forget they are on a motorcycle .
    Last edited by stmike 1800; 06-20-2018 at 05:19 AM.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    What happen to ATGATT ? Seems to me that alot of riders forget the are on a motorcycle .
    Pretty certain no one is suggesting not riding with protective gear, simply offering proven gear ideas that work in hot weather.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Use a Camelbak or similar hydration pack and sip all day long. Do be careful about drinking too much water in large individual quantities because it can cause hyponatremia. On very, very hot days I may supplement with Gatorade or Powerade cut 50:50 with water. Straight it's just too sweet for my taste. I snack on peanut butter crackers.
    Camelbaks are a blessing and a curse. From thousands of miles and decades of use on bicycles, the two drawbacks are they do not allow good airflow and limit cooling your body. Even the specialty designs with cooling paths are very limited.

However, if the Camelbak is a very light color they reflect sunin some cases. The color, along with filling the Camelbak with a lot of ice, then water helps. Also, so that you do not get that tube of hot water, purchase the insulated cover.

If it were me, I would extended the Camelbaks drink tube, and secure it to a backrest if possible. Anything to get added airflow through the vented riding jacket and around the body.

Spyder Garage

Soaker vest under your summer weight jacket. Really!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

+1 for the soaker vest, mesh jacket and a vented windshield.

Lew L

ps: A helmet that vents well is a must.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Soaker vests, I see several folks suggesting these, but they also live in drier more arrid locations.

In areas with high humidity, say 90% or more constantly, does this impare the soaker vests ability to function.

No doubt in places where moisture easily evaporates it can have a cooling effect, but in areas of high humidity, where evaporation is about nil, to me it sounds like wearing soggy wet clothes.

Can someone with experience in high humidity explain how well it functions.

Spyder Garage

Talking Good advise....

All of the above but plan to head to the coast as soon as possible and follow in as close as possible.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What happen to ATGATT ? Seems to me that alot of riders forget the are on a motorcycle .
    IF.....all the gear you have is cold weather, non-vented stuff, then that can be worse than nothing at all.

You need:
    Lots of water.
    Vented gear with just light underwear underneath.
    And plenty of air flow. Not a BLAST but a steady substantial flow.
    And stop to rest often.
    If/when you start feeling the least bit bad, take a LONG break to cool off or stop for the night.

If you are really sensitive to the heat, ride only from sun-up to noon and try some of the cooling vest products.

Spyder Garage

I’ve not been riding in the heat lately due to health issues but here’s my take on the subject after 24 years in GA.

As it it has been said above, cover yourself in breathable gear. I’ve used mesh gear from Joe Rocker but other mfg’s have good gear.

I use a coolmax helmet liner to pull sweat off my scalp and move towards the air channels in the helmet. I have and have used a Silver Eagle cooling vest but it’s efficiency goes down as the humidity goes up. I’ve recentl bought a couple of fishing hoods to wear in place of the helmet liner. I’ve got a couple of suspicious dark spots on my skin that I will be showing the dermo Dr next week. Finally, I’ve considered purchasing a Veskimo.

heres a link to a fishing mask review.

https://www.fishingtipsdepot.com/bes...ing-face-mask/

i paid $4 each for, basically, a 15” long tube of Cool Max material. My concern is covering my neck (FWIW, my father had, what was called a John Deere neck; darker on one side from years of looking over his shoulder to watch the plow, planter, etc).

if you are interested in the $4 versions, look at

https://www.allaboutthebait.com
    Last edited by Spyder 42; 06-19-2018 at 10:07 AM.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Camelbaks are a blessing and a curse. From thousands of miles and decades of use on bicycles, the two drawbacks are they do not allow good airflow and limit cooling your body. Even the specialty designs with cooling paths are very limited.

In my decades of long distance bicycling I use the water bottles on my bikes to squirt down my jersey regularly and rely on the Camelbak for drinking.

However, if the Camelbak is a very light color they reflect sunin some cases. The color, along with filling the Camelbak with a lot of ice, then water helps. Also, so that you do not get that tube of hot water, purchase the insulated cover.

My motorcycling Camelbak is dayglo yellow. The insulated Camelk tube i
    s called the Tube Director and is available from REI. It also has a maleable wire in it so you can bend the tube to a convenient position, like just below your chin. To avoid getting a tube of warm/hot water in a drink, after each drink, blow back into the tube and you will keep it empty so every drink is cold.

If it were me, I would extended the Camelbaks drink tube, and secure it to a backrest if possible. Anything to get added airflow through the vented riding jacket and around the body.

You can get Camelbaks specifically designed for wear around the waist that you can route the tube around to your chest. One of those could easily be strapped to a backrest.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

90% chance of heat stroke vs 1% chance of falling off your bike. Your choice.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Since you are in Ohio take a ride to Iron Pony in Columbus and find some mesh riding gear that fits you well. Pants, jacket, and gloves. I am in Norfolk, Va. and I just came over from southern Ohio yesterday in 90 degree temps. Tourmaster mesh jacket, Olympia mesh pants and gloves. There are several great companies that make this stuff just find the style and fit you are comfortable with. Bicycle shorts under the mesh pants, lightweight shirt under the jacket. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. It was hot and at slow speeds or stopped traffic it got really hot, but once moving it wasn't bad and we made it here tired, sweaty, and healthy. Did I mention Hydrate. Everything in the photo except my boots is mesh gear. I was heading for Sturgis in 90 degree temps and I was comfy on the road. Mesh gear and hydration.

2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I purchased several of the multi purpose face shields. I wet 2 of them and put one around my neck and the other on my head. It is unbelievable how cool this will make you as well as how long they stay wet. I probably stop once an hour to resoak at a fueling station. I would definitely get a couple if I were you. It’s changed the game for me riding here in Mississippi.

17 F3 Limited (Pearl White), Sena 10C intercom, X Grip iPhone mount, IPS key, spyder to go cup holder, Lamonster Highway Center Lane, TricLED engine lights, TricLED night rider, LS2 Helmets, Lamonster Bypass pipe, 2 Brothers Exhaust, mirror relocator kit, Bluetooth radio module, OEM Backrest, Rear LED Light Kit

2017 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post

You can get Camelbaks specifically designed for wear around the waist that you can route the tube around to your chest. One of those could easily be strapped to a backrest.
    Jaybros, the way you cut up the quote in post #13 makes a camparable reply difficult.

Fist off, it seems unlikely Spyder riders are going to want to drench themselves via waterflow from a bicycle style water bottle. I may be wrong about that, but have yet to see it happen. On bicycles, absolutely and common when training or competing, and for some while simply leisure riding.

As for the moto Camelbak, I have one from when I raced Hare Scrambles. Agree it has or had a flexible but positionable tube and mouth peice, mine also has the insulated cover.

In my opinion, the cover is superior to blowing into the tube. But I have done both.

I beleive I had mentioned securing the hydration pack to a backrest. Obviously for increased airflow around the body, but more so if the machine has a backrest, the Camelbak may make it awkward to be comfortable.

Peanut butter crackers sounds viable, however, as a person that does not like or eat peanut butter, I trust your judgement on that.

I remain curious about these soaker vests. After more thought about it, in moving traffic, even with higher humidity they may help, but if the airflow is inadequate, almost sounds more sauna like to me.
    Last edited by PMK; 06-20-2018 at 05:47 AM.

Spyder Garage

Stay within your comfort lots of post about camelback yes they work, but so does a properly stocked ice chest(various flavors & fruit for snacks work good)plus the benefit of making stop. Get thirsty stop have a sip or two, continue -repeat as needed. Not gonna make the best time but it's not a race it's a Ryde. Also easy to re stock a cooler at just about any gas stop along the way. All the hydration you will be looking for stops
    SUNBLOCK more than a single application per day. I keep a spray in frunk for convenience.
    Also found a long sleeve hybrid mesh hunting shirt that is great. Riding gloves having a sunburn on back of hands SUX! Even wearing a helmet the forehead gets reflective rays from the dash or some where thankfully no burns yet but some redness is noticeable on longer rides. Doo rags help, rinse & ring out for added cooling/ evaporation, can keep one in cooler & rotate out when desired. Also good as just a cool neck rag.
    Know your limits & don't push them, feel funky take a good brake (indoors if possible), plenty of walmarts along the way to simply roam around in.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    90% chance of heat stroke vs 1% chance of falling off your bike. Your choice.
    You can ride with ATGATT ,and still stay comfy .One wipe out and you will not be comfy . I see people riding with tee shirts ,shorts and flip flops ,I hope they have signed there doner card .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

You can ride with ATGATT ,and still stay comfy .One wipe out and you will not be comfy . I see people riding with tee shirts ,shorts and flip flops ,I hope they have signed there doner card .
    Interesting comment. A rider can wear all the best gear made, but unless it is proper and applicable other factors enter in.

Not myself nor anyone indicated avoiding proper gear during this topic, that is a key point.

As for those with no helmets, T shirts, barefeet, etc. Entirely their call, granted we may pay financially for their actions, but most likely, they themselves pay the greater price.

Spyder Garage

Hot here is 30 c or 90 f ,that is hot enough for me .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Hot here is 30 c or 90 f ,that is hot enough for me .
    Too hot in general is when the instrument display goes black and you ride based on analog stuff. Yes, it does happen.

Spyder Garage

PKK, thanks for your comments; we're basically singing from the same sheet of music. I didn't mean to imply I thought motorcycle riders should be equipped to douse themselves with bicycle water bottles while riding. I carry one bottle of water in my trunk so that, if I was that uncomfortable, I would stop, open my mesh jacket and pour that bottle all over my torso. I wouldn't care if I would up sitting in a pair of wet riding shorts under my ATGATT pants. My comment about the peanut butter crackers was, as you said, personal perference. I eat them and protein bars for the salt replenishment.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    This should start a firestorm, though I am looking for good advice from the southern Ryders or those with experience ryding in HOT sunny climates.

I live in Ohio, though we have our hot days, they tend not to be brutal as I know they can be in the south. I need to make a trip on the Spyder to Florida. Please offer tricks or tips on clothing options, to include pants, shirts, vests, whatever. Hydrate, hydrate and hydrate, yes I know.

If you offer advice on a clothing purchase please be specific.

Thank you in advance for your advice,
    Joe
    It's very personal in my view. I'm all for ATGATT. Doesn't work for me in the South (Atlanta). ATGATT in 90 degrees - melts my brain. I start making foolish decisions. So, it's a compromize for me - i choose a tee and jeans with clear mind vs ATGATT with clouded mind.