Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuel

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    keep in mind that the computer will compensate for octane variations and elevations...
    Not completely.

There is no "octane detector" as such.

Do I need to explain the difference between "spark knock" and "compression knock" yet again ??

Spyder Garage

Default cpu

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Not completely.

Do I need to explain the difference between "spark knock" and "compression knock" yet again ??

the CPU will retard/advance the spark for variations to the point where you'll never notice any gain/loss in performance....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    the CPU will retard/advance the spark for variations to the point where you'll never notice any gain/loss in performance....
    Still wrong. There are no "variations". If the maximum spark advance causes ping, the advance will be dialed back.
    Exactly how much and how often it is sampled varies from one type of engine to another.......but ALL it has to go on is the presence or absence of a ping immediately after the spark is delivered.

Spyder Garage

Default ok

Still wrong. There are no "variations". If the maximum spark advance causes ping, the advance will be dialed back.
    Exactly how much and how often it is sampled varies from one type of engine to another.......but ALL it has to go on is the presence or absence of a ping immediately after the spark is delivered.
    ok, you win...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnorthern View Post
    I could have sworn Can Am recommended premium. Am I wrong?
    You are spot on … straight off the Specification page … " Fuel type - Premium unleaded "

When I was talking with the people at Monster ECUs in Canada, they said specifically … "never use the basic grade of petrol unless it was an absolute emergency and even then only with certain provisions attached … and even then only as a must do .. I'll see if I can find their last email, then do a cut and paste with the content for you … (and that was even before their pixie dust treatment! ..)

Email found and edit added here as a cut and paste (but with me highlighting it for you guys) … And, is as follows from 'Steve', to myself on this very subject … "

Your (Australian) 95 Octane is what is normally recommended pre tune / re mapping.
    98 is better after receiving the remapped ECU back and may see an improvement once you get half a tank through it.
    Only use 91 in an emergency. (if your away and that's all you can get etc) But stay below half throttle and don't lug the engine. Keep revs higher with lower gears. - until the complete tank is cleared and you have 95+ back in it.
    Your (Australian) 91,95, 98 Octane ratings is North America equivalent to 87,91,93 … (I never knew your American standard rating for Octanes was any differently rated to ours, but apparently so!)

So by his very definition you should normally be running on 91 Octane for the States (North America at a MINIMUM) and only ever using your 87 Octane in an absolute emergency on a stock engine …

Monster Fuel Injection

Ontario Canada

226 909 2029

Hope this helps … Greg S
    Last edited by fatenhappy; 06-22-2018 at 01:50 AM.

Spyder Garage

Not completely.

…" There is no "octane detector" as such."

Well this isn't quite right either, is it - particularly if we start to think a bit more laterally ? … There is indeed an 'octane sensor' but in a slight variation in the form of the O2 sensor which is found mounted about the area of my exhaust collector on my F3-T, thereby collectively sampling all three exhaust port gas groups in that one area. In fact that is a very important part of its job … Among other functions, the O2 sensor controls or contributes to many different engine functions, including fuel/air mixture, engine timing and engine combustion intervals via the ECU.
    Last edited by fatenhappy; 06-22-2018 at 02:37 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatenhappy View Post
    … There is indeed an 'octane sensor' but in a slight variation in the form of the O2 sensor
    Oxygen and octane are entirely different things. The oxygen sensor can NOT detect any changes from different octane ratings of the fuel in use.

My smoke detector is going off.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

don't you think that it'd just be easier to say that "They have set the 1330 up to run best on 91 Octane.", and let it go at that?
    You guys seem to like throwing poo at one another...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    don't you think that it'd just be easier to say that "They have set the 1330 up to run best on 91 Octane.", and let it go at that?
    Yes but that is only PART of the story.

As was indicated in another post, under some circumstances having a fuel that is too low in octane rating can actually damage the engine.
    AND under those circumstances, the engine computer can NOT save it.

Thankfully most owners never encounter that kind of situation so they can get away with burning whatever is available commercially.

NOW......if you go up to a high altitude and fill up with the low octane stuff that they sell there......and immediately go back down to sea level and ride it REALLY hard.......all bets are off.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Groan.jpg

Q.E.D.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Mention of Ethyl...

I saw this in two different posts and maybe this is being picky but here goes.. Ethyl is Tetra Ethyl Lead that used to be in gas before the Unleaded revolution and is not related to Ethanol. Premium gas like Chevron White Pump or Sunoco 260 was what was referred to as premium in the old days.. Today RON rating is strange in that is supposed to be the rating at the pump. FWIW I use premium in my bikes and always have because down stream at overhaul the cleaner burning gas leaves fewer deposits.. I have started using Seafoam in everything I own if for nothing else than as a preservative. I used Lucas Injector cleaner in the past and my 2010 Ford had 320,000 miles on it when I sold it and still got 19mpg and no oil use between changes.. Just Sayin'

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StickerPatch View Post
    FWIW I use premium in my bikes and always have because down stream at overhaul the cleaner burning gas leaves fewer deposits.. I have started using Seafoam in everything I own if for nothing else than as a preservative.
    Well those are two good ways to just throw your money away.
    So called "premium" gas does NOT automatically "burn cleaner".
    And SeaFoam is just snake oil.....mostly.
    It is a minimally respectable fuel stabilizer......but "everything you own" certainly does not need a stabilizer all the time.
    All the rest that is claimed for it is mostly marketing hype.

But do whatever makes you happy, just don't try to convince me that I should do that too.

Spyder Garage

Well those are two good ways to just throw your money away.
    So called "premium" gas does NOT automatically "burn cleaner".
    And SeaFoam is just snake oil.....mostly.
    It is a minimally respectable fuel stabilizer......but "everything you own" certainly does not need a stabilizer all the time.
    All the rest that is claimed for it is mostly marketing hype.

But do whatever makes you happy, just don't try to convince me that I should do that too.
    I made no mention on what others should do..this is my opinion..that what FWIW means.. and most everything I have can go a month between fill ups and the "new" unleaded formulations with the clean air chemicals lasts about 30 days before going sour..don't get so cranky..just suggestions..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by [COLOR=black

Your (Australian) 91,95, 98 Octane ratings is North America equivalent to 87,91,93
    [/COLOR]
    Down here in Alabama, the selections are 87, 89, and 93.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Even more complicated - altitude effects

Here in Colorado, you can hardly find 93 octane. Most carry 85 / 87 / 91. My Spyder and my other bikes run fine on 87 at 6000ft, no need to pour my money down the tank. Once in a while I will put 91 in, but no seat of the pants data to tell if there's a difference in performance.

Also, with the Ethanol stuff, here's a website that lists by states where you can get pure no-ethyl gas. https://www.pure-gas.org/
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow