Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel

Spyder Garage

Default Fuel

I can not find where it states the type of fuel, but been running super in the st.. Any draw back using just regular fuel on long trips ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Ride --->>> 2013 ST-S SE5 <<---

Spyder Garage

your ST will kind of "dumb itself down" to whatever octane fuel you are using. Which is handy if you are ryding in Mexico for example.
    So while it won't be performing at 100% it will not suffer any real problems.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default fuel

Quote Originally Posted by rkba101 View Post
    I can not find where it states the type of fuel, but been running super in the st.. Any draw back using just regular fuel on long trips ?
    NOT really .... perhaps a .01 % loss in performance ....some folks claim they can REALLY feel the difference .... NOT ....jmho ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I have mentioned this in other threads--but will add here.

In 10 years of Spyder ownership--I have put only premium in my rides. Here, premium is 90 octane.

This year, I listened to Mike (Blue Knight). I have so far been burning regular (87 octane). I have noticed NO impaired performance. My mileage has remained the same. The 998 gets around 30 mpg, and my 1330 gets around 40 mpg.

Since I usually buy gas at least twice a week for the Spyders, I am saving 20 cents per gallon minimum. If I buy Shell--they want 40 cents per gallon more for premium.

That's my current story. And, Thanks, Mike.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-18-2018 at 08:27 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Go here to read about my two years of data about regular vs. premium. At the very least read the first few posts and then go to the end. The results may surprise you!
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...egular+premium

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default What does the manual say?

I could have sworn Can Am recommended premium. Am I wrong?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnorthern View Post
    I could have sworn Can Am recommended premium. Am I wrong?
    yes!! I usually follow the rules! why get the computer or nanny in an uproar or all wabbyjawed??
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The suggested fuel to be used, is 91 octane...

But if you can get it to light: the computer can figure out a way to make it work!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My reason for getting the Premium isn't the higher octane but that it is the best chance to contain pure gas. Here in the cornbelt most of our lower octane gas is blended with 10% ethanol. Is this a valid reasons to purchase Premium gas?

As a side note, I have no problem putting gas blended with ethanol in my cars and trucks. I do go out of my way to not using ethanol when towing or in my small engines.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ethanol isn't considered to be a problem for the Spyder's fuel systems.
    BRP has taken this into account, when equipping the bikes, and they make no mention of it (Other than to NOT exceed 10%...) in the manuals.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have always used regular in my three Spyders and two Gold Wings. I can't tell any difference other than .30+ a gallon.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    your ST will kind of "dumb itself down" to whatever octane fuel you are using. Which is handy if you are ryding in Mexico for example.
    So while it won't be performing at 100% it will not suffer any real problems.
    A common mis-conception.

While it might not ever be a problem with a Spyder because the compression really isn't THAT high........

There are two kinds of combustion chamber pre-ignition (ping or knock).

When the spark hits, if the fuel burns too quickly there is an explosion of sorts. This "spark knock" is what the engine can correct for by backing off the timing a bit.

Then there is compression knock, which is much worse and, if present, can NOT be corrected for with simple ignition timing changes.
    With compression knock, the fuel ignites BEFORE the spark hits and the max. expansion occurs before TDC and puts a huge strain on the engine.

Having a higher octane helps prevent both these conditions but really is the ONLY protection from compression knock if conditions can occur to cause that. Note: A very sophisticated engine could correct for that too by changing the valve timing but I don't know if any actually DO that or not, since using the right fuel would make it mostly unnecessary.

Spyder Garage

Default No ethanol

Bryan is CORRECT, in the midwest especially around large metropolitan areas, the only gas without ethanol IS premium. All other octanes will have alcohol. And in Northern Illinois, within 60 miles of Chicago there is NO non-ethanol gas. For us the best chance for getting non-alcohol and in fact the only chance IS premium,
    Last edited by JFD; 06-19-2018 at 09:25 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    BRP has taken this into account, when equipping the bikes, and they make no mention of it (Other than to NOT exceed 10%...) in the manuals.
    Check the manual for your new machine.
    I think you will find that it says to use "only fuel blends approved by the Government".......which would seem to allow for E-15 if and when it is approved.

NOW.....do they sell Spyders in South America ? Where much of the fuel used approaches E-100 ? I wonder what those manuals say.

Spyder Garage

Default Don't wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I think you will find that it says to use "only fuel blends approved by the Government".......which would seem to allow for E-15 if and when it is approved.

NOW.....do they sell Spyders in South America ? Where much of the fuel used approaches E-100 ? I wonder what those manuals say.
    No need to wonder what those manuals say. Just look it up.

Fuel.jpg

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

some of the caseys stations carry 91 octane alcohol free gas in our area of
    illinois. we are in mt morris ,il 25 miles sw of rockford. on rte 64. hundreds of riders come
    through here to go to poopy's and galena and beyond. usually fill up all engines sitting
    during the winter with it and seafoam.

oops --replied under wrong name. oh well,sillinois people ,there is pure gas in my town.
    Last edited by irvin48; 06-19-2018 at 09:54 AM.
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Hope I have not started a mini war....

Still going to use 87....for now.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In the winter I put the expensive stuff cause my bike might sit longer but in the summer I put the cheap stuff cause my bike never sits at all. Never had a problem.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A common mis-conception.

While it might not ever be a problem with a Spyder because the compression really isn't THAT high........

There are two kinds of combustion chamber pre-ignition (ping or knock).

When the spark hits, if the fuel burns too quickly there is an explosion of sorts. This "spark knock" is what the engine can correct for by backing off the timing a bit.

Then there is compression knock, which is much worse and, if present, can NOT be corrected for with simple ignition timing changes.
    With compression knock, the fuel ignites BEFORE the spark hits and the max. expansion occurs before TDC and puts a huge strain on the engine.

Having a higher octane helps prevent both these conditions but really is the ONLY protection from compression knock if conditions can occur to cause that. Note: A very sophisticated engine could correct for that too by changing the valve timing but I don't know if any actually DO that or not, since using the right fuel would make it mostly unnecessary.
    This is for the "991 engine"... with a 12.2:1 compression ratio.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was using 87 for 09 but with higher compression engine in 15, I will use 91.
    I get the point that Spyder will retard/make adjustments so that it will run fine with 87 but I don’t want a retarded Spyder. 😀
    And I will pay 40cents more per gallon if it helps Spyder to run cooler especially because I will have to hold onto this Spyder for long time. No more RS. 🤬
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....Sir I'm not dissing you - however you are mis-taken on this ...... the " best chance " ( really ONLY chance ) on NOT getting Ethyl in your gas is using the gas from a pump labeled " NON-ETHYL GAS " ...The GRADE of gas has absolutely NOTHING to do with Alcohol content ........ not JMHO ...... Mike
    Mike, I understand the difference between octane ratings and alcohol content. But as JFD mentioned in his post, IN PRACTICE for those of us that live in the corn states you'll almost NEVER find non-ethyl gas in the lower/mid grades as every pump is required by mandates to carry blended gas/ethanol. Yes, premium gas can contain ethanol (so you're not wrong here)...but many of the premium pumps are non-ethyl in my neck of the woods. Thus why I stated that if I want "pure gas" my only option is Premium (except when it it). The worst label is "may contain up to XX% Ethanol" which tells the consumer nothing.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

Update: We did 153 miles today. All highway except for the ten mile jog through Anchorage. Used 87 Octane. The 2014 (1330) got me 38 miles per gallon and the 2011 (998) got 33 mpg. That is a couple miles per gallon better than usual for the 2011.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Down here in Alabama, I found one gas station that has a non-ethyl gas pump. It's regular (87) octane, and it costs as much as premium does with its 10% ethyl. It's used mainly by boaters whose engines crap out on ethyl gas.

Spyder Garage

Are you running with a stock ECU / Engine etc ? …
    Last edited by fatenhappy; 06-22-2018 at 02:18 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default no 'E'

i run 87 octane, no "E" gas 80% of the time... when i can't find the no "E", i use the 87 octane with the corn syrup in it...
    i've used the 87 octane in both my SPYD3RS; RS & F3 since new... i've had ZERO fuel issues ever, and that includes performance...
    i changed the plugs (3) in my F3 a couple months ago at 44,480 miles of smiles, and the plugs looked perfect, see pic...
    keep in mind that the computer will compensate for octane variations and elevations...
    20180319_161027.jpg 20180320_125656.jpg
    worry less, ride more....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R