Thread: Check DPS

Spyder Garage

Default Check DPS

Is there anyone who has changed out their own DPS module. Got a P0551 and P0552 code that I can't get to clear no matter what I do. 2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

Default Oh no....!!!!

Hopefully it is the ground connection or battery cause the DPS (dynamic power steering ) unit is around $1200.00 from cheapcycleparts.com but much more from dealer. There were issues with the DPS's back then you should check if yours was ever changed...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DPS

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Hopefully it is the ground connection or battery cause the DPS (dynamic power steering ) unit is around $1200.00 from cheapcycleparts.com but much more from dealer. There were issues with the DPS's back then you should check if yours was ever changed...
    ...the DPS has a large power draw and if there is a glitch in the system circuit it could be causing the Code ..... check connections and strength of Battery............ Mike

Spyder Garage

Default DPS

check connections and strength of Battery............ Mike

New battery and I have tightened connections till I'm afraid I'll strip the threads. Checked power at the fuse and at the DPS....OK

Spyder Garage

Default USED DPS

If needed I do have a used dps with 1165 miles on it. $500. But check all other connections and ground, including main ground on engine.
    2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Default DPS

Quote Originally Posted by OlJim View Post
    check connections and strength of Battery............ Mike

New battery and I have tightened connections till I'm afraid I'll strip the threads. Checked power at the fuse and at the DPS....OK
    .....BUT ...... Have you removed the KEY at LEAST one foot from the ignition for at least 10min. ????? ....Did the codes CLEAR ??? , and did they come back later ???? ../... My 08 GS lit up like a Christmas ( codes ) for two years but never failed me ...... The Nanny is EXTREMELY sensitive and often shows issue that are non-existent ...... I hope this is your case too ...............Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-19-2018 at 12:06 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Replaced one last month

My wife’s 2011 RT/S DPS died last month. One week and $1800.00 cured the failed unit but I like a lot of you wonder if the unit was defective when new. My dealer stated the unit was not one involved in a recall, but I was always suspected it was failing. I came home with the old unit so some day I’ll bench it and paint it gold and hang it on the wall.

Spyder Garage

Default DPS

Like I stated in my original post I have done everything I can think of including reading most of the 200+ post dealing with "check DPS". What happened was I decided to unhook the analog gages. In order to remove the bezel you have to turn the steering all the way to the right or left. In my case I turned it left. After unhooking the wires on the gages I replaced the bezel and started the engine. The digital gages worked and with the bars still turned full left the check dps (big orange screen) showed up. I shut it down, straightened the bars and started it again.....big orange screen. Took it for a ride around the block and sure enough the steering was real tight in the corners. Checked codes and had P0551 and P0552.

Spyder Garage

Default DPS ISSUE

Quote Originally Posted by OlJim View Post
    Like I stated in my original post I have done everything I can think of including reading most of the 200+ post dealing with "check DPS". What happened was I decided to unhook the analog gages. In order to remove the bezel you have to turn the steering all the way to the right or left. In my case I turned it left. After unhooking the wires on the gages I replaced the bezel and started the engine. The digital gages worked and with the bars still turned full left the check dps (big orange screen) showed up. I shut it down, straightened the bars and started it again.....big orange screen. Took it for a ride around the block and sure enough the steering was real tight in the corners. Checked codes and had P0551 and P0552.
    I don't gamble /bet ........... that being said, considering what you had done ( mechanically ) what do you think the odds are that ..... that and the instant Failure of the DPS are connected .... I think the odds are " zero " ....... believe it or not , folks here have fixed code issues just by completely dis-connecting the Battery....... I agree the DPS unit may very well have failed, but $1200 or so would not be my first choice for fixing it ..... If you aren't looking for other possible answers ... then get a new DPS............ and I REALLY hope that fixes your issue ....because it might not, and then well ................ Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Check DPS

Replaced DPS unit. All codes gone, back to square one. The DPS was a kinda PITA because of it's location but all in all not too bad. Had to buy a special socket $16 for the SAS magnet but everything else was straight forward. Cost $1200 but saved $600 in labor. I wonder if they can check the old unit to verify if it is really bad or I just finally tightened the right ground wire.

Spyder Garage

Default Check DPS

Called the dealer this morning and was told I didn't need an appointment to have the steering sensors reset so loaded the bike on the trailer and off I went. Probably would have taken about 15 minutes but had a software update that needed installed so took about 1/2 hour. Only paid for the BUDS hookup, 42.00. On the road again. Thanks all for the inputs.