Spyder Garage

Default 3000 mile service - oil drips and loose right lower grill

I had a 3000 mile service done this weekend and noticed the right lower side grill being loose at its left and bottom part.
    Comparing - the left lower side grill is not moving at all.
    Is this how it suppose to be or did the dealer miss to put it back as it should suppose to be?
    Spyder RGrill 6-16-18c.jpg
    Also, is it typical to have oil drips under the right side after the service? I cleaned the whole bottom as it was all oily and put a paper towel down to see if more oil will be dripping later. So far no drips overnight.

Thank you in advance
    2017 RT Limited Asphalt Grey with Lamonster RT Spyder Cuff; Lamonster FBB Highway Bracket; Kuryakyn 7597 ISO Trident Pegs; RoadSport Big Mudder Extreme, Magic mirrors, Airhawk R, plastidipped Frunk, Ram Mount Universal X-Grip IV Large, FZ-1 fuze block, Dual USB charger, BajaRon Sway Bar, Black Powder Coated RT Dash Mount Bracket

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That grill has two prongs at the bottom that have to be lined up while getting the hole towards the top lined up to go over the rubber grommet for the panel that goes on over that.

One of the bottom prongs is not in it's hole. It's not real hard to get correct, but it does take a little attention to detail.

As for the oil, it's probably just some "drippings" left from the oil change.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by INfox View Post
    I had a 3000 mile service done this weekend and noticed the right lower side grill being loose at its left and bottom part.
    Is this how it suppose to be or did the dealer miss to put it back as it should suppose to be?

Also, is it typical to have oil drips under the right side after the service? I cleaned the whole bottom as it was all oily and put a paper towel down to see if more oil will be dripping later. So far no drips overnight.

Thank you in advance
    don't want to be critical, but sounds like some sloppy work?? they should have reinstalled the grill correctly and cleaned up any and all oil drippings.
    BIG F

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is real easy to put that grill back on wrong.......but there is no excuse for that happening at a dealership.

THEN.....I have the same model. On my first service, they overfilled the oil.

According to them they put in 5-1/2 quarts instead of 5 because they were "looking at the wrong manual" but the BRP oil change kit comes with 6 quarts. IF.....your dealer put in all 6 quarts, it wouldn't surprise me if some was being "pumped" out.

I sucked a half quart out of mine because my shop is a LONG way away.

I suggest that you check the oil level by doing the complicated "right" procedure and then take it back to have the grill put on right.......and the oil level adjusted if necessary. Somebody at that shop needs some additional training.

Spyder Garage

My last oil change on the 1330 (about a month ago), showed oil drips the next day also. After cleaning them up--they did not return.

The dealership did get the panels on this time though. I guess that was in their favor.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-18-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thank you BoilerAnimal, I will try to fix it, knowing now it shouldn’t suppose to be loose.

Easy Rider, as soon as I read your post, I went to check on the oil, all OK. Thank you.

Big F and akspyderman, that’s what I thought as well. Paying $318 for it and having the bike in their shop for 3.5 days made me believe, they will do good job. I also had to push the panel on the left top side that sits over the grill back in.
    But I am very happy they fixed the screeching sound I had since day one while driving for a while at RPM below 3500. It was very disturbing, I could hear it with an helmet and music on as well and couldn’t enjoy the ride. They said the belt was little too tight and that the wheel (sorry I don’t remember which) was in an angle. I had also burning rubber smell from a day one after each ride. The belt traveled all the time from being right at the sprocket to being off for up to 4-5 mm.
    This is another BRP dealer, not the original I bought my bike from; they couldn’t reproduce the screeching noise last fall.

Maybe I should to look for another dealer for my next service. Watching videos on YouTube scares me little bit. Did oil change on GoldWing with my other half, a much easier job.
    Last edited by INfox; 06-18-2018 at 02:10 PM.
    2017 RT Limited Asphalt Grey with Lamonster RT Spyder Cuff; Lamonster FBB Highway Bracket; Kuryakyn 7597 ISO Trident Pegs; RoadSport Big Mudder Extreme, Magic mirrors, Airhawk R, plastidipped Frunk, Ram Mount Universal X-Grip IV Large, FZ-1 fuze block, Dual USB charger, BajaRon Sway Bar, Black Powder Coated RT Dash Mount Bracket

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had also burning rubber smell from a day one after each ride. The belt traveled all the time from being right at the sprocket to being off for up to 4-5 mm.
    I really hope that the "fix" included a new belt.
    The original one likely way damaged AND replacements are quite expensive.

Spyder Garage

No new belt. They said it looks good and even I have no clue of how a damaged belt should look like, I think it looks good. We were told the wheels were balanced as well.
    Is it common not to receive a Warranty paperwork what was done?

Spyder Garage

Default Maximum Powersports in Peru

Not sure where you are located in Indiana, but I had Maximum Powersports in Peru do my first service even though they are over an hour away from me. Out of the door for under $200 including oil and all first service inspections. They also found a mis-assembled throttle spring during the service fixed at no expense to me, probably under warranty or as a courtesy. Everything about the service was good; no runs, not drips, no errors. I do my own oil changes now. If you are close to them, I would give them a try.

Spyder Garage

Always! Always check your oil level (correctly) after getting a service. It is scary how many overfill/underfill conditions customers have told me about. Some pretty severe.

It's quick, easy. And then you know what's up before issues arise.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is it common not to receive a Warranty paperwork what was done?
    NO. RED FLAG.
    If your belt goes bad early, you have NO evidence of what caused it.

IF, as you said, you smelled rubber burning, there HAS to be some damage to the belt.
    I wouldn't sit still for not replacing it.
    But if you do, you definitely need paper work indicating that there MIGHT be some abnormal belt wear.
    Unless maybe you don't mind paying for a new one later.

Spyder Garage

Thank you Easy Rider, Boilermaker, and BajaRon for your good advice.

We called the dealership and got a photo copy of the Work Order already emailed. The repairs are described in detail. They said no Warranty Work was submitted to BRP, it was all under the 3000 mile maintenance.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They said no Warranty Work was submitted to BRP, it was all under the 3000 mile maintenance.
    Assuming that they have a "flat rate" for inspection and "adjustments" at the 3K mile maintenance visit, than that is fine.......as long as they mentioned adjusting the belt AND THAT SOME ABNORMAL WEAR OF THE BELT OCCURRED.

IF.....they charged you extra to adjust the back wheel and belt, then that is NOT OK.

Those belts are tough and you might never have a problem until it wears out due to "normal" use and age.
    But if you DO, it seems like I remember that it is over $200 to have one replaced.

Spyder Garage

Easy Rider, thank you again for good points.

Based on the paperwork, I believe we were charged for the belt work.
    Bike 3000 mile.jpg
    Here is from the hand written RO sheet copy that was emailed to us yesterday:

Job1 3000 mile service
    Job 2 Inspect Rear Wheel alignment
    Burning rubber smelling
    Insp[ect for codes
    Recommended Repairs
    Found Rear Wheel OFF about a 1/2” from center causing belt to rub The sides of the drive pulleys.
    Realigned Rear Wheel & adjusted belt tension.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Based on the paperwork, I believe we were charged for the belt work.
    I see no evidence of that and your total bill is very reasonable for a "3000 mile initial service".

Looks to me like you have sufficient evidence there should the belt fail early later.
    But if it does, there probably will STILL be a fight.
    Put the invoice in a safe place.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I do keep all receipts, I even make pictures, videos, and sometimes audios for evidence. I am new to bike Warranty repair fights.
    I snapped these pics from the belt, which of course doesn't guarantee the belt was not rotated 180 as it was taken off, flipped and inspected by the tech.
    Belt 6-19-18e.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default More problems, damaged Angle Knob

I finally checked the loose right Lower Grill yesterday. I did remove the Side Inspection Panel and pulled the grill out. I watched a https://youtu.be/rOO7p5i1cJE video and it looks like while Pierre wiggled the grill to get it out, it snapped out of the bottom (@ 9:20 minutes). Mine didn’t snap out.
    Grill clips.jpg
    The Left Lower Grill
    does have two pins and is not a solid piece with the bottom.
    L Grill pins.jpg
    Could someone please push on their right Bottom Grill to feel if it is solid or if it moves (in the area where my finger is on the first picture) and let me know?
    There is no access from the bottom and I can’t find any video of how to put it back correctly. Pulling the
    inside apart gently, I don’t see any holes to push the two clips in, no holes.
    R panel inside2.jpg

I also found that the
    Oval Washer on this right Lower FairingSide Panel is pushed halfway in while the panel wobbles on that side. Inspecting it deeper by pulling off this panel gently, the Angle Knob is bent 90 degrees and snapped at the bent, therefore damaged. It does not lock/snap into the Oval Washer at all, therefore the wobble.
    FairingsE.jpg Panel.jpg

I did remove the left lover grill
    Side Inspection Panel as well and discovered that the left Push Pin of the Lower FairingSide Panel is not locked in the left top fairing’s panel and I can’t be even pushed in. The Angle Knob does not line up with the Oval Washer making the panel wobble – I don’t want to brake anything.

I was wondering why aren’t the panels lining up together as they were originally.

I am planning on plasti-dipping some areas of the bike and taped the sides for the pattern in winter and therefore I can confirm with pictures the panels were nicely matching before the 3000 mile service. I am a perfectionist and catch little differences.

I am
    pretty upset at this point and realize I should call the dealer to have it fixed. Or should I go to another dealer? Or should I try to fix it by myself – which means learning on how to snap off the mirrors and take everything apart? I realize another Saturday ride with our Goldwing group is gone for me, as was the last one due to the bike being done just a day later than promissed.

With that mentioned, I
    will order one the BRP Manual CD, push pinpliers, push pins (or these push pins), extra Oval Washers, Angle Knobs, and Mirror Housing Clips. I found nice drawings with part numbers without having the Manual.

Will I have to replace the Metal Pins on the other side of the Angle Knob? I am lost at what its called and what’s the part number.

Spyder Garage

I Could someone please push on their right Bottom Grill to feel if it is solid or if it moves (in the area where my finger is on the first picture) and let me know?
    I will answer my own question: It moves freely as mine, I checked it at a dealer on a new 2018 RT LTD. I am sorry I bothered you guys.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I do keep all receipts, I even make pictures, videos, and sometimes audios for evidence. I am new to bike Warranty repair fights.
    I snapped these pics from the belt, which of course doesn't guarantee the belt was not rotated 180 as it was taken off, flipped and inspected by the tech.
    Belt 6-19-18e.jpg
    There are directional arrows marked on both belts of my 2017 F3-S & 2017 RT.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thank you in advance
    I had an issue once that the oil plug seal got damaged and caused a leak. New seal and no additional problems.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black