Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Prudhoe Bay Alaska in 2019

I'm just starting to plan a trip with my brother to Alaska next year and including the Haul Road up to Prudhoe Bay. I'd like to request advice from those of you with this experience. I have a relatively new Yokohama on the rear and Michelin on the front, 22,000 on bike, 17k by me.
    1) Did you have any problem with the gravel and your belt? I've added the inside belt guard. Any other precautions I should take?
    2) if you have the 3 cylinder did you carry any extra gas? If so, how much and did you need it?
    3) Did you have any road width issues with having three wheels rather than two?
    4) My brother has been there twice but this will be my first other than in the Navy, mid 1960's, Eielson AFB. Is any particular summer month the best for this trip?
    5) Other advice?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't. The haul road is all loose gravel. I'd want to go slower to preserve my drive belt and I'd fear finishing in time. There's only one place to stay over along the way, at Coldfoot. They have a small hotel, cafe and fuel, then nothing until Deadhorse. Part of our North to Alaska group went to Prudhoe Bay. There's a company offering flights one way and a van ride the other with over night at Deadhorse and Coldfoot. http://www.northernalaska.com

I did the one-day excursion to Barrow, the northernmost permanent settlement in North America. Lots of history and a cultural experience.

Let us know what you end up doing. And take lots of pics!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Try this

Get in touch with AKspyderman our member here and Alaska resident. he do know the place and was the first spyder Ryder there...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I was part of the NTA group that went to Prudhoe Bay. We took a flight out of Fairbanks and than rode in a van back. We considered riding our Spyders up and back, but after seeing the gravel road and the many large rocks on it I'am glad we didn't. It's called the haul road for a reason - so expect large trucks passing you at a fast clip with rocks kicked back at you.

If if you do take your Spyder make sure you have an aftermarket skid plate on it as your thin stock one will not last. I beleave it is around 250 miles between gas so you will need to carry extra fuel.

Good tires are a must, but also carry a good tire repair kit since there is no road side help.

Enjoy your trip - we sure did!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joerolwing View Post
    I'm just starting to plan a trip with my brother to Alaska next year and including the Haul Road up to Prudhoe Bay. I'd like to request advice from those of you with this experience. I have a relatively new Yokohama on the rear and Michelin on the front, 22,000 on bike, 17k by me.
    1) Did you have any problem with the gravel and your belt? I've added the inside belt guard. Any other precautions I should take?

No. I did have SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard on. When riding in gravel, and some times it can be deep, go slow. The entire road is not just gravel, most is hard packed dirt.

2) if you have the 3 cylinder did you carry any extra gas? If so, how much and did you need it?

I was on a GS 2 cylinder and carried gas. Hubby was on a BMW R1200GS and he needed to fuel up in between gas stations too. It's about 250 miles between gas stations. Bring extra gas.

The road is wide enough for two semis to pass. Lots of room. The only problem I had riding three wheels was going through the mud slurries. The back tire fishtailed. Take it slow.

4) My brother has been there twice but this will be my first other than in the Navy, mid 1960's, Eielson AFB. Is any particular summer month the best for this trip?

It's best to make the ride up in June. No rain and no mosquitos.

5) Other advice?
    Get the most recent Mile Post book. It will give you the most up-to-date condition of the road and many others.

Bring riding gear for all conditions. Once we got over the Brooks Range, the temps dropped to 35 F in Prudhoe Bay. We had heated gear.

AKSpyderman lives outside Anchorage. Go visit him. He can show you things only the locals know about. A real nice guy!

Look up "To Alaska and Back." It will give you a good idea of what to expect.

Don't let people talk you out of it. Take your time and you can do it.
    Last edited by Yazz; 06-18-2018 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Added more...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    It's called the haul road for a reason - so expect large trucks passing you at a fast clip with rocks kicked back at you.
    Maybe that was your experience in a van. We would move to the side of the road and slow down and the semis would too. A little courtesy goes a long way.

While on the subject of trucks, there are white company trucks that regularly go up and down the road. If you need help, flag one down and they'll stop and do what they can for you, or give you a ride to the next town.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...

Spyder Garage

The above advice is right on. Although I have lived here for going on twenty years now, I have not done the "haul" road on either my 's or motorcycle. I have left that one to the very adventurous.

For me there is still plenty of Alaska to explore and enjoy.

I do recommend the purchase of the 2019 Milepost Book when it comes out. Usually in Feb/Mar. In it you will find valuable advice about traveling to, and in Alaska. They will talk about current conditions/regulations concerning the haul road. Most find the book to be helpful.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-18-2018 at 01:22 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Has ANYONE on a Spyder done the haul road up and back successfully? I've searched this and other forums, blogs, LD sites and haven't found one yet.
    Another spyder rider and I have considered that as one of our Iron Butt rides, Prudhoe to Key West, or Key West to Prudhoe.
    For a warm up we're doing the Pines to Palms (Angle Inlet, MN to Key West) later this week. Only 35 miles of gravel roads for starters.

Joe - Our plan to insure adequate fuel for the Haul road was having a buddy of ours drive a rented 4wd support vehicle out of Fairbanks with spare fuel on board. We'd even considered other emergency essentials being brought along just to cover that haul road. We're also investigating the possibility of Spydering to Inuvik, NWT which includes lots of arctic gravel 2 lane road.

Several IBA certified rides require driving to Deadhorse (PB), AK. None have a Spyder in the completion columns yet (As of December 2017). Many "lesser" bikes (JK) have made it though. (Even a Honda CBR125R)
    - Haul Road 1000 From North Pole, AK to Prudhoe Bay(Deadhorse), AK and return in less than 24 hours
    - Alaska Sea to Sea From Prudhoe Bay, Alaska (Arctic Ocean) to Homer, Alaska (Pacific Ocean) in less than 24 hours
    - Ultimate Coast to Coast (UCC) Key West, FL to Deadhorse (PB) Alaska (or reverse) in 30 days or less
    - Ultimate Coast to Coast to Coast Insanity (UCCC) Key West, FL to Deadhorse Alaska and back (or reverse) in 60 days or less
    - Circumnavigation of North America Insanity Prudhoe Bay, AK to Goose Bay, Labrador to Key West, Fl to San Diego, CA in less than 25 days
    and Finally
    - Ultimate Circumnavigation of North America Insanity Prudhoe Bay, AK to Inuvik, NWT to Goose Bay, Labrador to Key West, FL to Brownsville, TX to San Diego, CA

Joe I wish you good luck, safe riding, and an adventure to remember! We're shooting for the UCC in 2020, warming up with many lesser rides this and next year.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Has ANYONE on a Spyder done the haul road up and back successfully? I've searched this and other forums, blogs, LD sites and haven't found one yet.
    Another spyder rider and I have considered that as one of our Iron Butt rides, Prudhoe to Key West, or Key West to Prudhoe.
    For a warm up we're doing the Pines to Palms (Angle Inlet, MN to Key West) later this week. Only 35 miles of gravel roads for starters.

Joe - Our plan to insure adequate fuel for the Haul road was having a buddy of ours drive a rented 4wd support vehicle out of Fairbanks with spare fuel on board. We'd even considered other emergency essentials being brought along just to cover that haul road. We're also investigating the possibility of Spydering to Inuvik, NWT which includes lots of arctic gravel 2 lane road.

Several IBA certified rides require driving to Deadhorse (PB), AK. None have a Spyder in the completion columns yet (As of December 2017). Many "lesser" bikes (JK) have made it though. (Even a Honda CBR125R)
    - Haul Road 1000 From North Pole, AK to Prudhoe Bay(Deadhorse), AK and return in less than 24 hours
    - Alaska Sea to Sea From Prudhoe Bay, Alaska (Arctic Ocean) to Homer, Alaska (Pacific Ocean) in less than 24 hours
    - Ultimate Coast to Coast (UCC) Key West, FL to Deadhorse (PB) Alaska (or reverse) in 30 days or less
    - Ultimate Coast to Coast to Coast Insanity (UCCC) Key West, FL to Deadhorse Alaska and back (or reverse) in 60 days or less
    - Circumnavigation of North America Insanity Prudhoe Bay, AK to Goose Bay, Labrador to Key West, Fl to San Diego, CA in less than 25 days
    and Finally
    - Ultimate Circumnavigation of North America Insanity Prudhoe Bay, AK to Inuvik, NWT to Goose Bay, Labrador to Key West, FL to Brownsville, TX to San Diego, CA

Joe I wish you good luck, safe riding, and an adventure to remember! We're shooting for the UCC in 2020, warming up with many lesser rides this and next year.
    Yazz seems to be the most adventurous one. Don't know of anyone else that ventured further North on a Spyder. A breakdown in those very remote areas is going to require major dollars. I believe the two closest dealers are Wasilla, AK and Whitehorse YT. Some of us are conservative about stuff like that.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-19-2018 at 02:06 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default The Dalton Hwy (The Haul Road)

Well, never say never, and don't tell someone that something cannot be done. The degree of difficulty that one is willing to endure is the question. The Dalton Highway is not like any other road you will ever complete. On the way to Alaska on the ALCAN, take a right at Whitehorse and then on the North Klondike Highway and head to Dawson City. There is a small motorcycle gathering there every year over summer solstice. It is called Dust-to-Dawson, or D2D, this weekend actually. After that you head west on the Top-of-the-World Highway to the Taylor Highway and then rejoin the ALCAN at Tetlin Junction. If you make those roads without incident then you might want to try the Dalton. You need to consider that there will be portions of the Dalton with 4" and larger rocks, near bottomless mud, and snow mixed with rain, foot deep gravel windrows and foot deep ruts that you have to cross to get out of the way of semis. The snow picture was taken on June 18th a few years back. The hard frozen center is about 8" deep. My F3S does not have near enough ground clearance to do any of those roads. Or you might find the entire length of the road looking like a hard packed half-mile dirt track. Call it the luck of the draw, or Karma. Yes, I have ridden it, but on a BMW F650GS. After living in Alaska for 30 years I am now a "Snowbird" and am here only in the summers. I ryde in Texas in the winter I have lost track of how many times I have done the ALCAN, but only 3 of those times was on a motorcycle. I am in Eagle River in the summers and would be glad to meet with you; or Fort Worth in the winter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 F3S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by F650624 View Post
    Well, never say never, and don't tell someone that something cannot be done. The degree of difficulty that one is willing to endure is the question. The Dalton Highway is not like any other road you will ever complete. On the way to Alaska on the ALCAN, take a right at Whitehorse and then on the North Klondike Highway and head to Dawson City. There is a small motorcycle gathering there every year over summer solstice. It is called Dust-to-Dawson, or D2D, this weekend actually. After that you head west on the Top-of-the-World Highway to the Taylor Highway and then rejoin the ALCAN at Tetlin Junction. If you make those roads without incident then you might want to try the Dalton. You need to consider that there will be portions of the Dalton with 4" and larger rocks, near bottomless mud, and snow mixed with rain, foot deep gravel windrows and foot deep ruts that you have to cross to get out of the way of semis. The snow picture was taken on June 18th a few years back. The hard frozen center is about 8" deep. My F3S does not have near enough ground clearance to do any of those roads. Or you might find the entire length of the road looking like a hard packed half-mile dirt track. Call it the luck of the draw, or Karma. Yes, I have ridden it, but on a BMW F650GS. After living in Alaska for 30 years I am now a "Snowbird" and am here only in the summers. I ryde in Texas in the winter I have lost track of how many times I have done the ALCAN, but only 3 of those times was on a motorcycle. I am in Eagle River in the summers and would be glad to meet with you; or Fort Worth in the winter.
    Adventure bikes seem to be the most advisable way to go. They can be rented in Anchorage if you need one. I see two or three at a time regularly headed up North.

IMO: The Spyder is not made for such use--but if a rider wants to use it for such a ride...I have no problem with that. I would not take a Gold Wing there either...but I do hear of people doing it.

It is all about how much "adventure" one wants.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-20-2018 at 06:17 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Prudhoe Bay

Thanks for this level headed advice. This definitely sounds like more adventure than I am willing to take on. Akspyderman's alternative may be my options.
    Joe

Spyder Garage

Joe, As I understand it, Spyder's should at least be able to make it to the Arctic Circle sign on the Haul road, assuming you've got the Air Ride Rock Armour and Missing Belt Guard.
    Yazz, AKSpyderman, F650624, Correct me on this or share your experiences about the road from end of pavement to the AC sign?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I am contemplating a ride to Alaska once I retire as well. So far in my research it appears that the road up to the Arctic Circle will be do-able. Still adventurous but do-able. I would ride with another Spyder buddy up to Fairbanks. At that point I see our wives flying in to join us for several days of sight-seeing. There are tours up to the Arctic Circle, either by coach or plane as well as up to Deadhorse. So, I may still see Prudoe Bay but make the final leg in a plane.

Wassilla is the location of the only Can-am dealer in Alaska. Depending upon where you start in the US and the miles you log getting up to Alaska, you may want to consider stopping in Wassilla to get an oil change and/or other basic mechanical inspections. Some riders to Alaska will ship parts or tires to a motorcycle repair shop and get their bike serviced as part of their journey.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scotts8826 View Post
    I am contemplating a ride to Alaska once I retire as well. So far in my research it appears that the road up to the Arctic Circle will be do-able. Still adventurous but do-able. I would ride with another Spyder buddy up to Fairbanks. At that point I see our wives flying in to join us for several days of sight-seeing. There are tours up to the Arctic Circle, either by coach or plane as well as up to Deadhorse. So, I may still see Prudoe Bay but make the final leg in a plane.

Wassilla is the location of the only Can-am dealer in Alaska. Depending upon where you start in the US and the miles you log getting up to Alaska, you may want to consider stopping in Wassilla to get an oil change and/or other basic mechanical inspections. Some riders to Alaska will ship parts or tires to a motorcycle repair shop and get their bike serviced as part of their journey.
    The Wasilla dealer (Team CC) also has a location in Eagle River. They are also an authorized service center. I have bought all five of my Spyders from the Eagle River location. There are twenty miles separating the two locations.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The Wasilla dealer (Team CC) also has a location in Eagle River. They are also an authorized service center. I have bought all five of my Spyders from the Eagle River location. There are twenty miles separating the two locations.
    That is good information, thanks!

Spyder Garage

To Haul Road or not...it is a matter of personal choice. Regardless, a trip to AK is really worth it. Regardless of what you decide to do, you will run out of time before you can see everything. A week, just touches the basics. Travel to and from is also something that eats up your time. A month or more to do the bucket list vacation is best, if you can.

I kept my brother and spouse busy and awed for over a week. We went someplace new each day. Traveled all directions, and not more than 200 miles one way. One day, we saw over eight moose (one in my neighborhood), and all within fifty miles of my home. He is still talking about the trip, two years later. Our home base was Eagle River.

Bottom line--it is worth it.

Photo from my back yard in 2015.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-19-2018 at 02:19 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    To Haul Road or not...it is a matter of personal choice. Regardless, a trip to AK is really worth it. Regardless of what you decide to do, you will run out of time before you can see everything. A week, just touches the basics. Travel to and from is also something that eats up your time. A month or more to do the bucket list vacation is best, if you can.

I kept my brother and spouse busy and awed for over a week. We went someplace new each day. Traveled all directions, and not more than 200 miles one way. One day, we saw over eight moose (one in my neighborhood), and all within fifty miles of my home. He is still talking about the trip, two years later. Our home base was Eagle River.

Bottom line--it is worth it.
    The trip is well worth the time and effort.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

The wife and I were part of the NTA group and had a great time. Akspyderman and his lady are wonderful people so get all the info from them and believe it. the dealer in Eagle is great and I believe has the only licensed spyder mechanic in Alaska.
    If you want another bucket list adventure, I rode a 1968 R69S boxer BMW. from Canada through the USA,every country in Central America, every
    country except Bolivia in South America crossing from Chile over the Andes mountains with the roads clossed due to deep snow into Argentina and
    all through the Amazon Jungle. That adventure only took three and a half months.
    Have a good trip and let us know how you make out.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Spyder Garage

The 80 or so miles going north from Fairbanks on the Elliot Hwy will probably be in good shape and have actually been paved. The 115 miles from the Elliot Hwy/Dalton Hwy junction have never been "paved." What is done up here, is that DOT will level the gravel, spray a layer of tar on that, and then spread and pack the gravel on top of the tar. It is known here as "chip seal." Sections that were chip sealed last year may, or may not be this year. Also, DOT will tear out up to 20 miles at a time to redo. This is also how most of the ALCAN is maintained. Several years ago on the way up the Dalton, the 20 miles just south of the Arctic Circle was being redone. In that 20 miles I don't think there was one rock under 4" in diameter being used for fill. The section just south of that was like the hard packed smooth surface of a half-mile dirt track. There is usually gas at the north end of the Yukon River Bridge. When it rains, and it will rain on you, and you are on the graveled portion the surface will become almost impossible to ryde, ride or drive on. The top 1"-2" will turn to a goo that has the traction coefficient of greased snot on a wet door knob. I watched I guy on a Ural go into the ditch at about 0.5 mph. He didn't have knobby tires on, and every time he tried to go forward gravity and the crown of the road just sucked him closer to the ditch. I am not saying it cannot be done. I know Goldwing riders that went up and back in 2 days, and had no problems. I also know BMW riders that have spent 2 weeks on the Dalton fighting conditions. Just head up there with an open, realistic mind and remember: :"Discretion is the better part of valor."
    2015 F3S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Default Currently in Alaska at Homer

We have been in AK for 2 weeks in a camper. Have seen one 2014 rts in Whitehorse the lady driving was with 3 other ladies
    on 2 wheelers. They went thru an area where 4 inches plus of mud almost made it impossible for any motorcycle to pass.
    Her only problem was the parking brake would not release. We came up on the Cassiar Hwy from Prince Rupert. Its been the
    best yet but starting in July they are going to chip seal a large section. But because it made such a impression on me I am
    going to ride the Spyder up it next summer, it just has to be done in my lifetime. The rest of the Alcan into Anchorage and
    beyond so far just can not compare. Let me qualify by saying my father lived in Anchorage for over 40 yrs. So I have been up
    here many times by auto and plane. Plus by living in BC Canada I get to see much of the same scenery. But do come up and
    visit we have seen many many 2 wheel bikes of all makes and sizes. even one sidecar unit. As for the haul road, reports currently
    is its been raining alot and its pretty rough and muddy along with some of the other secondary roads. This is 2nd hand from bikers
    and campers. Plus every year is different. So plan well and enjoy the great North. Bob
    900 Ryker Wifes

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joerolwing View Post
    5) Other advice?
    OK once again a dumb ass AUSTRALIAN type question … Is there any real concern from bears on those roads?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatenhappy View Post
    OK once again a dumb ass AUSTRALIAN type question … Is there any real concern from bears on those roads?
    I was told that the further north you go, there's fewer bears because there's not as much food available to them. There's probably more danger from an angry moose.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I have heard the flying insects are the worst hazard. Good mosquito netting and good bug repellant are a necessity.

Most of the time, bears do not attack. They will defend their territory, their young, and their kills.

Moose: Mothers will defend their young.

The further north, the less likelihood of bears and moose.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Joe, As I understand it, Spyder's should at least be able to make it to the Arctic Circle sign on the Haul road, assuming you've got the Air Ride Rock Armour and Missing Belt Guard.
    Yazz, AKSpyderman, F650624, Correct me on this or share your experiences about the road from end of pavement to the AC sign?
    It's paved all the way the the Arctic Circle and beyond. There's a gas station half-way between Fairbanks and the AC sign. No need for extra gas cans unless you go further.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...