Spyder Garage

Default New Rider questions

SO went on a longer ride on my 2012 RT yesterday, about a 2-2.5 hour ride each way. Was a blast and a lot of fun. I definitely hurt through some of it in my rear and legs. I have upgraded to the Seal floorboards, which are wonderful and helped a lot, and eventually I want to add a comfort seat due to my height(I am 6'5" and 330 lbs with a 32" inseam) however I cannot afford it at this time. I have debated adding Dave's pad to my seat, or an Alaska leather buttpad, but wanted to ask more experienced riders what works best, I would like to get the best bang for my buck.

Also if anyone has any highly recommended upgrades please let me know, been cruising the site to look for good suggestions and there is a lot. I am a new rider only 2 months in so far and loving it so far.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by roguesquad View Post
    SO went on a longer ride on my 2012 RT yesterday, about a 2-2.5 hour ride each way. Was a blast and a lot of fun. I definitely hurt through some of it in my rear and legs. I have upgraded to the Seal floorboards, which are wonderful and helped a lot, and eventually I want to add a comfort seat due to my height(I am 6'5" and 330 lbs with a 32" inseam) however I cannot afford it at this time. I have debated adding Dave's pad to my seat, or an Alaska leather buttpad, but wanted to ask more experienced riders what works best, I would like to get the best bang for my buck.

Also if anyone has any highly recommended upgrades please let me know, been cruising the site to look for good suggestions and there is a lot. I am a new rider only 2 months in so far and loving it so far.
    I think a comfort seat is the place to start. There's just no substitute for moving your butt back 2".

Once your butt is planted in the right spot, you can then look at other ergonomic changes.

Do you have the Tri-Axial handlebars? If not, that's the next thing, after the comfort seat.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-17-2018 at 01:56 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

No to the handlebars, and I definitely want the comfort seat, but unless I find one on a great sale it is out of the budget at the moment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Most important thing, especially with a new rider, is to stop and stretch OFTEN.
    That usually means every 45 minutes to an hour.
    In the summer time, that gives you a chance for a drink too.

2 to 2 1/2 hours is WAY too long in a single stretch.....for new riders and "old" ones too.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by roguesquad View Post
    No to the handlebars, and I definitely want the comfort seat, but unless I find one on a great sale it is out of the budget at the moment
    Then I would save up for both and not spend money on less expensive 'solutions' that may or may not work but will definitely eat away at your disposable cash.

You can sometimes get a good deal on a comfort seat on this forum. I got mine for about $200, including shipping. Worth every penny.

I've never seen a Tri-axial bar for sale here, but you could try eBay.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I have BRP Comfort seats on both Spyders. Your least expensive solution may be either an AirHawk or the Sheepskin Gel pads from Alaska Leather. I have used both when solving the "pain of the day" with hip issues.

Like Utah Pete, I am now down to just the Comfort seat.

Let us know how you work it out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red