Spyder Garage

Cool Check Engine Light flashing

Hello all, I am brand new to the spyder world and this is my first time posting on Spyderlovers. I just purchased a 2014 RSS with 870 miles. Drove in the pouring rain from Rhode Island to Jersey Shore to pick her up (unfortunately Snooki was no where to be found). Oh and my wipers stopped working on the way back... just great... my wife and I literally tied a dog leash to each wiper and pulled a Fred Flintstone, taking turns pulling the wipers toward us... not kidding... Anyways, this site is amazing! I have been researching things on here long before pulling the trigger. I even looked up really old threads that talked about what size trailers to rent from UHaul. If I hadn't, I would have pulled a "6 ft wide" (not really) trailer with ramp all the way there before realizing the ramp opening was no where near 6 ft. clearance. Man that would have been a freaking disaster... that would have been my breaking point I think. So with all this rambling comes a question... after a 20 minute ride this morning, my check engine light came on and continued to flash. There was NO digital warning such as "Limp Mode". I tried turning it off and waiting for 20 seconds as the manual suggests but that didn't work. Tried it again just now and still flashing as soon as I turn bike on. Any ideas?? I bought it with 1 year left on warranty so will make an appointment. Have 2 dealers not far from me (Bob's Ski-Doo - 30 miles away and Flamingo Motorsports - 50 miles away). Other than this, I'm really loving this thing!!

Spyder Garage

Oh one more thing... I do not ride the brakes. I read of a similar problem on here and apparently riding the brakes can activate a check engine light. And again, there was no digital display and I did NOT go LIMP... thank goodness

Spyder Garage

I don't know all the things that can trigger your engine light. But, I would start checking everything that is user friendly. Starting with battery terminal connections, oil, coolant, etc. Could be something simple.....or not. If nothing simple and obvious turns up, off to the dealer. Good luck and WELCOME.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I don't know all the things that can trigger your engine light. But, I would start checking everything that is user friendly. Starting with battery terminal connections, oil, coolant, etc. Could be something simple.....or not. If nothing simple and obvious turns up, off to the dealer. Good luck and WELCOME.....
    Thanks for the advice and the welcome

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome, welcome 👍

To both the spyder world and this awesome site. Great choice in ryde.. now there is an app called spydercodes it's free and it will tell you how to get the error codes and what they mean and what needs to be done. If it's a glitch try turning it off take out the key and give half hour or so to reset the computers. Then restart normally and if it's gone and stays gone your good to go. If not .... check engine come on for any reason and may have nothing to do with your engine. Check for the codes and let us know and we can help. Simple steps...those stated above check all fuses and relays are well seated check all lighting brake bulbs turn signals etc. after that it can get more complicated checking all the sensors but knowing the code will help
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    To both the spyder world and this awesome site. Great choice in ryde.. now there is an app called spydercodes it's free and it will tell you how to get the error codes and what they mean and what needs to be done. If it's a glitch try turning it off take out the key and give half hour or so to reset the computers. Then restart normally and if it's gone and stays gone your good to go. If not .... check engine come on for any reason and may have nothing to do with your engine. Check for the codes and let us know and we can help. Simple steps...those stated above check all fuses and relays are well seated check all lighting brake bulbs turn signals etc. after that it can get more complicated checking all the sensors but knowing the code will help

Thank you Chupaca! I really appreciate your willingness to help others, I've read several of your responses/feedback. Downloading the app now . If the check engine light continues to flash, would I be better off trailing the bike or do you think it would be fine to drive there? The closest dealer is about a 45 minute drive.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jtonga View Post
    Thank you Chupaca! I really appreciate your willingness to help others, I've read several of your responses/feedback. Downloading the app now . If the check engine light continues to flash, would I be better off trailing the bike or do you think it would be fine to drive there? The closest dealer is about a 45 minute drive.
    Tell us what the codes are first. Then we will give you some choices on what to do next. Just need some idea why the light is on.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Check engine light

This happened to my 2015 RTL in April of this year. Bought it new in 2015 and the first thing I added was a 3rd brake light installed professionally. Brought it to Big #1 where I bought it (200 miles from my home) and found out 7 weeks later it was a problem with the module in the brake light that caused the check engine and limp mode. Don't know how accurate their diagnosis is, but they disconnected the 3rd brake light and bike is running now. Yes they kept my bike for 7 WEEKS and that is their explanation. Don't know if this will help anyone, but this was my experience.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Tell us what the codes are first. Then we will give you some choices on what to do next. Just need some idea why the light is on.
    I'm not sure if this is right, but I tried the simultaneous "Mode, Set, Indicator" method to get the code but didn't work. Instead, the screen just went white but returned to normal when I hit mode button. I couldn't find anything in the manual on getting to the code...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Carold571 View Post
    This happened to my 2015 RTL in April of this year. Bought it new in 2015 and the first thing I added was a 3rd brake light installed professionally. Brought it to Big #1 where I bought it (200 miles from my home) and found out 7 weeks later it was a problem with the module in the brake light that caused the check engine and limp mode. Don't know how accurate their diagnosis is, but they disconnected the 3rd brake light and bike is running now. Yes they kept my bike for 7 WEEKS and that is their explanation. Don't know if this will help anyone, but this was my experience.
    Damn... 200 miles away and they kept it for 7 weeks... Are they the people who installed the 3rd brake light in the first place?

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure if this is right, but I tried the simultaneous "Mode, Set, Indicator" method to get the code but didn't work. Instead, the screen just went white but returned to normal when I hit mode button. I couldn't find anything in the manual on getting to the code...
    If you have a warning light on when you press mode, set and turn signal cancel at the same time. Then release. One or more fault codes will scroll across the screen. If there no more warning lights on. It is fixed. Drive on.
    Last edited by billybovine; 06-23-2018 at 09:30 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Damn... 200 miles away and they kept it for 7 weeks... Are they the people who installed the 3rd brake light in the first place?
    no, I had a tech in Nashville do the install, all my lights are from Custom Dynamics and never had a problem my 2012 RT or my 2015 RTL,prior limp mode. I will be seeing him soon. My front fenders are fine and also CD lights. I think after the General Manager got onto them about keeping my bike so lone, the just decided to disconnect the 3rd brake light, and blame it on CD to get the bike done.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I've tried pressing set and turn signal cancel at the same time but the screen just turns white and doesn't provide any fault codes. Everything appears fine however, the check engine light continues to flash and the check engine light stays on. I made a service appointment for next week. Do you think it would be okay to drive it there (30 miles) or should I trail it (would have to rent trailer...)? Thanks for your help!

Spyder Garage

I've tried pressing set and turn signal cancel at the same time but the screen just turns white and doesn't provide any fault codes. Everything appears fine however, the check engine light continues to flash and the check engine light stays on. I made a service appointment for next week. Do you think it would be okay to drive it there (30 miles) or should I trail it (would have to rent trailer...)? Thanks for your help!
    I don't know what to tell you. When a fault is active and it is active when the fault light is on. In this case the check engine light. Pressing mode, set and turn cancel buttons at the same time will display the active fault code. It is not suppose to be as you describe. I am guessing that you could drive it to the dealer but I don't have any skin in the game here. It is you that is taking the risk. I hope you get it figured out soon and get back to having fun riding your Spyder.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Update:

So, just wanted to update y'all...

The check engine light disappeared a day before getting serviced. The computer pulled up a code for LEAN CONDITION. The service tech recommended I adjust the juice box controller. I have Two Brothers exhaust. Now... onto learning how, making the adjustment, and praying that the check engine light stays off. BTW, had a great experience at Bob's Ski-Doo in Massachusetts. Went in for annual service, the check engine light, and a cluster lens replacement. Staff was on point - very friendly, bike was done exactly when they said it would be, and the service manager (Paul) know's his ****

Peace, Joe